Couple of questions!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lakersfan0014

Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Well just found out about this forum and it has been really helpful. I do have a couple of questions that maybe somebody can answer for me.

1. Not really HD related but I just purchased a Samsung ts-360 from Best Buy last night and came home to hook it up. Now what I didn't realize is that this was an "open box" item from BB. Well when we called dtv to activate the access card that came with the receiver they said that is was registered under someone else's account, and that they can't change that and we would have to go back to BB to have them resolve the issue. Or to pay $20 for a new access card from DTV and wait to get that. Does this sound right? Why can't they just change the card to our accound and get it running?

2. Next quick question, when we sign up for HD programming will we be able to view those channels on other non-hd receivers? I know that they won't be in hd but just wondering if they will be viewable.

Thanks in advace guys/gals!

Randy

Answer for Number 2 ONLY!
You need a HD receiver to even see the channels.

Once an access card is activated it stays on one account forever. That's been D* policy forever. BB should accept the return no questions asked. If not, you may be stuck with paying for a new card.

Thanks guys that's what I was afraid of. Oh well.. I guess since I saved $60 for the open box receiver then $20 for a new cars still nets be $40 in savings. And on #2 we were just wondering since we signed up and couldn't see the channels on the current boxes we have, we didn't know if they were working or not.

One more question... since this card I have is under a different person's account... what were to happen if I order some ppv using this card? They would get charged correct??

Since you have an easy "out "for this receiver, you would be best not to get the samsung anyway, and for your trouble get BB to STRAIGHT exchange it for another HD unit. I think the RCA DTC-210 is in the same price range and less issues.

Well unfortunatley the BB in this area don't sell the RCA unit. Why is the samsung a bad unit? Not sure what to do. Also the card is not canceled because I'm using it to watch TV right now!

can you see all the Directv channels (not just the test channel )? It may be a display model which had an account to show in the store. Are there any of the promotional channels that regular accounts have blocked out?

What channels are those? I don't think it was a display model, in fact I know it isn't. If you check the caller id record on this receiver it diplays about 6 phone numbers, I know this thing is working under someone else's account! Just wondering if I order something if it can be traced back to me?

Oh just to vent a bit, I hate DTV's employees. They are a bunch of idiots. We call trying to get a new card ordered... well they sent us on a phone circle, we talked to 7 different people and finally someone sent us to card services where there's a message saying their closed. Jeez, it took 45 minutes to figure out their closed??? Ok that's my venting.

Im not sure what channels they are but at the stores they usually have some kind of promotion for HD channels from directv that I was assuming came from a channel.

If there are caller ids it was probably from someone else

lakersfan0014 said:
Thanks guys that's what I was afraid of. Oh well.. I guess since I saved $60 for the open box receiver then $20 for a new cars still nets be $40 in savings. And on #2 we were just wondering since we signed up and couldn't see the channels on the current boxes we have, we didn't know if they were working or not.

One more question... since this card I have is under a different person's account... what were to happen if I order some ppv using this card? They would get charged correct??

if you take your card back to best buy they will give you a new card they have to .

is the card that you have active so that you can watch tv. i don't think it will work cause you will have it plug to your phone line and it will not read it.
but i know bb will give you a new card cause i have had that happen to my customers before.

make sure you are real nice to BB if you expect them to give you a new card without buying a NEW receiver. because if you signed ANYTHING that states you bought an open boxed item, even if you were not TOLD, the card is not covered by standard return rules. open box rules state that some items may be missing or non-working and that you are responsible to get a working replacement from the maker or another source. this includes the access card. D* will overnight one to you for $20. if you gripe enough about it they will waive that or credit you that $20 once you activate the new card. also, D* frowns very heavily about cards being tossed around without the accompanying receiver purchase. legit retailers shouldn't even have them accessible to hand out, this is what causes D* absolute fits. i am real sure D* would love to know what BB is handing out access cards to customers that come and say I need a new card. i hope that BB has a policy or some safeguards and info sharing in place.

lakersfan0014 said:
Well unfortunatley the BB in this area don't sell the RCA unit. Why is the samsung a bad unit? Not sure what to do. Also the card is not canceled because I'm using it to watch TV right now!

The Samsung has major issues. That is what I have. If you are watching recorded shows such as sitsoms it has alot of voice echoes or voice being off from the mouth movement problems. Also mine has also started blacking out at times. D is replacing mine as we speak. I should get it on Monday. I highly recommend you exchanging.

All best buy's have just gotten in the new H10. (ask for the Directv HD labeled box)

You could also ask to speak to a manager for the "hassle" you were caused.

As a DTV employee, I can assure everyone that Samsungs are pieces of junk, especially the SIR-TS360. I would never recommend this product. Samsung really dropped the ball on this.

and thus D* for partnering with them. PLEASE rethink your current business plan and open your receiver manufacturing to quality players again for competition's sake and your customers.

It's a shame the newer Samsungs are having so many issues, I have no complaints about my TS-160. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good unit or something but it has worked very well for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)