Couple of Quick Questions...

jailbird

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 11, 2004
Okay.. now that the DSR530 is available for preorder, I'm about to make the SC plunge.. a couple of quick questions before I pull the CC out :)...

1) I noticed kusat has 'promotions' for new customers. I have a hunch that people using brokers can't use these promotions? Am I wrong here?

2) I plan on getting 1 PVR (w/ 2 tuners), and 1 regular receiver. I also want to hook-up the OTA antenna that VOOM gave me for my locals. Trying to think of a clean way to run all of the cables (since I'm in an apartment, I'll probably have to use flat cables under the door). So far I had two ideas:

a) Use a splitter to split the OTA feed to two, and run each one + one LNB feed into a diplexer (the second feed to the PVR won't need OTA, obviously). This seems like the cheaper idea, but slightly more 'messy'.

b) Use a 5x8 multiswitch to diplex the OTA feed for me. This seems cleaner, but more expensive.

Is there any gotchas that could come up with either idea? Does anybody have a similiar setup?

Thanks (and sorry for the stupid newbie questions! :) )

jailbird said:
Okay.. now that the DSR530 is available for preorder, I'm about to make the SC plunge.. a couple of quick questions before I pull the CC out :)...

1) I noticed kusat has 'promotions' for new customers. I have a hunch that people using brokers can't use these promotions? Am I wrong here?
Correct…unless its an instant rebate, we can’t get them
2) I plan on getting 1 PVR (w/ 2 tuners), and 1 regular receiver. I also want to hook-up the OTA antenna that VOOM gave me for my locals. Trying to think of a clean way to run all of the cables (since I'm in an apartment, I'll probably have to use flat cables under the door). So far I had two ideas:

a) Use a splitter to split the OTA feed to two, and run each one + one LNB feed into a diplexer (the second feed to the PVR won't need OTA, obviously). This seems like the cheaper idea, but slightly more 'messy'.

b) Use a 5x8 multiswitch to diplex the OTA feed for me. This seems cleaner, but more expensive.

Is there any gotchas that could come up with either idea? Does anybody have a similiar setup?

Thanks (and sorry for the stupid newbie questions! :) )

Right now you’ll have 4 lines coming in (2 for DSR530, 1 for other and OTA)….regardless of how its hooked up, you would need at least 3 lines coming in. so you could do the diplexer idea or you could just run the extra line and hook it directly in the back of the receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts