Couple questions..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

x3ro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
I'll probably be switching to D* in the next couple of weeks as I'm getting tired of dish's excuses on the lack of adding new HD channels...

Anyhoo,

I'm looking at picking up two HD DVRs and just a regular ol DVR.

Building this "package" on direc's website, total startup costs come out close to $400.... $398 for the two HD DVRs and $99 for the regular DVR, minus a $100 online discount, which basically pays for the regular DVR... Is there any way to further discount these startup costs?

Second question -

Do all the tuners have to be hooked up to a phone line? In one of the rooms where the regular dvr will be, no phone line is available. Any other options on that?

Is there any way to further discount these startup costs?
You can try calling in voice, but it is not very likely that they'll throw you a bone.
Do all the tuners have to be hooked up to a phone line?
According to the ToS, yes. In practice, a phone connection is not necessary unless you want to order PPV via your remote.

Where are you in your E* programming commitment?

You can try calling in voice, but it is not very likely that they'll throw you a bone.According to the ToS, yes. In practice, a phone connection is not necessary unless you want to order PPV via your remote.

Where are you in your E* programming commitment?

I know the dish receivers use the phone line to "phone home" and if you don't have them plugged into a line, you eventually get hit with a $6 fee per receiver not plugged in :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where I'm at on my dish contract, but I'd gladly pay the termination fees to have a lot more HD channels that I'd watch! That, plus my wife's been bugging me for an HD receiver for the bedroom, but dish wont let us upgrade to a new one unless we buy an HD DVR :rolleyes:

Are you a AAA member? If so, AAA members get a discount. New subscribers get $10 off their bill for the first 24 months.

X3,
I suggest you call in and ask them what kind of deals you can get on the set up you mentioned, you may be surprised, what the heck, if it's no better,you can always get it online for the price you mentioned, but I bet they will do something for you.

As for the phone lines, NO they don't have to be, but D* would like you too., if you mention to them that the one has no phone line they will just note it on your account.

You won't be able to order PPV's with the remote for that rec, but you can still order them online or over the phone.

You could run a temp. phone cord to have it plugged in when the ask, they will test it and you can unplug it once your off the phone.

Jimbo

I'll probably be switching to D* in the next couple of weeks as I'm getting tired of dish's excuses on the lack of adding new HD channels...

Anyhoo,

I'm looking at picking up two HD DVRs and just a regular ol DVR.

Building this "package" on direc's website, total startup costs come out close to $400.... $398 for the two HD DVRs and $99 for the regular DVR, minus a $100 online discount, which basically pays for the regular DVR... Is there any way to further discount these startup costs?

Second question -

Do all the tuners have to be hooked up to a phone line? In one of the rooms where the regular dvr will be, no phone line is available. Any other options on that?

I doubt it their pretty anal about only giving one hardware rebate per order. I tried when I ordered last month.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll be switching soon!

Definitely sign up for AAA. It is $50.00 and saves you 240 over two years plus they will give you the HD-DVRs for 99. I just signed up on Tuesday for installation on the 24th and got:

2 HD-DVRs ($99 each) and 2 sd receivers
$18 off for first year on Choice Extra Package (Current promotion)
$10 off a month for 2 years from AAA
$20 credit for signing for automatic payments
$50 referral credit from Scott (see sticky on Directv Forum)
Free Showtime and Starz for three months

I didn't try but I think you may also be able to get free Showtime for a year.

Definitely sign up for AAA. It is $50.00 and saves you 240 over two years plus they will give you the HD-DVRs for 99. I just signed up on Tuesday for installation on the 24th and got:

2 HD-DVRs ($99 each) and 2 sd receivers
$18 off for first year on Choice Extra Package (Current promotion)
$10 off a month for 2 years from AAA
$20 credit for signing for automatic payments
$50 referral credit from Scott (see sticky on Directv Forum)
Free Showtime and Starz for three months

I didn't try but I think you may also be able to get free Showtime for a year.

Who do you order te AAA deal from? Direct from AAA?? How do you get two HD-DVRs for $99 each?

What is the AAA deal suppose to be, is there a set deal, someone said $ 50 ...
$ 240 over 2 years was also mentioned

Which is it ?
I am an existing sub, what do they get ?

Jimbo

AAA deal for existing subs is over, it WAS $50 in month 1 and $50 in month 13 for 24 month commitment.

For new customers it is $10 off each month for 24 months in addition to other discounts.

Anyone know how to get TWO HD DVRs for $99 each? I saw some mention of it, but all they mentioned was signing up through AAA...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts