Couples questions for UHF only antennas

VistaXP

Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
If I get UHF only antenna, will I get all major tv stations. I live in Southern California, so channels I will need are:

CBS, NBC, KCAL, ABC, UPN/myTV, KTLA/CW, FOX

1. Are all these station in HD already?

2. I hear that some shows are not in HD, so does that mean I need a VHF antenna to view it, or will the picture just not be as good?

I'm thinking of getting this antenna:

[FONT=verdana,helvetica,sans-serif] Winegard HD 9095P UHF Yagi Style HDTV Antenna (HD9095P)[/FONT]

It says "for channels 14-69"

Now, I'm looking at antenna web and it says channel CBS is 2.1, does that mean the antenna won't get that channel? Or am I suppose to look at the frequencies?

4. UHF antennas cannot pick up VHF?

Thanks for any help.

Vista, what is your actual zip code?

With my limited past knowledge of the LA area and not knowing where in LA you are; my first guess to get ALL channels would be to get something like the Winegard HD 7082P; but my 2nd thought is that you are only going to try for the most popular channels you listed and that the Channel Master CM 4228 may be the way to go. Post your zip and lets all work from there.

Yes, you need to use the channel's actual frequency and not its virtual assignment.

The CM4228 does a good job at receiving the VHF Hi as well as UHF (but again, let determine where YOU are)

Channels are not "HD", they are digital and some of the programming the air may be HD (rarely is it ALL)

If a digital channel airs non-HD material, you still use the same antenna; no need for anything separate.

Vista, what is your actual zip code?

With my limited past knowledge of the LA area and not knowing where in LA you are; my first guess to get ALL channels would be to get something like the Winegard HD 7082P; but my 2nd thought is that you are only going to try for the most popular channels you listed and that the Channel Master CM 4228 may be the way to go. Post your zip and lets all work from there.

Yes, you need to use the channel's actual frequency and not its virtual assignment.

The CM4228 does a good job at receiving the VHF Hi as well as UHF (but again, let determine where YOU are)

Channels are not "HD", they are digital and some of the programming the air may be HD (rarely is it ALL)

If a digital channel airs non-HD material, you still use the same antenna; no need for anything separate.

My zip is 92780, its about 38 miles away from LA station. What about the CM4228 and XG91, heard their one of the bests. I do have hard times trying to get CBS and NBC.

Also, all the station are pointing to 325 degrees so I'm guessing I need a very directional antenna.

Well, IMHO, based on what your area's digital landscape will look like post-transition; I would recommend a good VHF/UHF combo antenna that is mounted at or above the roof line. You could try the CM4228 (that is what I use now) and if you are not happy with it's results receiving the VHF Hi channels then look at the combo models. I would hate for a user to buy two items; ultimately spending more money than needed.

Maybe something like these: (in no special order) maybe check around locally too.
Channel Master CM 3030
Channel Master CM 3678
Channel Master CM 3679
Channel Master CM 3019
Winegard HD 7084P
Winegard PR 7042

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 189
Hmmm, the CM3679, seems to fit perfectly with what I need. The 4228 is nice, but rather large to maintain.

Ok, I've decided to go with the CM3679. How big is this thing in actual size? It says 122 in by 110 in, that seems ginormous. Is that about the size of a twin bed?

VistaXP,

You don't need such a large antenna.(CM 3679) You won't have anything under channel 7; so I would suggest one of the much smaller channel 7-52 antennas from Channel Master, or Winegard.(I prefer Winegard because of it's waterproof balun and much better durability).

The 4228 would be a good choice if you didn't have that channel 7. It's probably a bit too weak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)