Court rules in favor of new Cablevision recorder

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
US appeals court approves Cablevision to go forward with remote storage dvr.. Whooo

"Cablevision appealed a March 2007 ruling in which it lost a battle to introduce a network-based DVR system, called Remote Storage Digital Video Recorder, or RS-DVR, which would allow subscribers to store TV programs on the cable operator's computer servers."

full article

Court rules in favor of new Cablevision recorder | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

This is a huge win for cable. It could save a few billion dollars. 5-7 years from now when all the new DVR's hard drives start failing this will save tons of truck rolls to fix.

no only that but I can also imagine where they will have the capablity so if you have your internet with them as well they will be able to stream whatever you have saved on their server to you computer. this would be great if you go on vacation while your waiting in the airport having the abilty to watch whatever was recorded. they will also be able to sell package ex. $5 a month gets you 100 hrs, $10 a month gets you 250hrs, etc

I agree...this is good news for Cable and what I perceive to be bad news for satellite. However, I dont understand today's statement, "I think that's a positive for the industry," said Charlie Ergen, chief executive of DISH Network, on a quarterly conference call with analysts.:confused: Perhaps he is commenting that is postive for the cable industry and all MSOs.

I agree...this is good news for Cable and what I perceive to be bad news for satellite. However, I dont understand today's statement, "I think that's a positive for the industry," said Charlie Ergen, chief executive of DISH Network, on a quarterly conference call with analysts.:confused: Perhaps he is commenting that is postive for the cable industry and all MSOs.

A legal defeat to anything the content holders do to stifle innovation is always a good thing.

As for Charlie, he is trying to get out of the box business, as well. It costs tons of $$ to provide multiple boxes, then RMA the boxes--plus the shipping costs--and the entire support system for boxes: huge warehouses of people ($$ wages) and boxes and testing equipment like the one in El Paso. He could save a bundle. Just the HDD's for the DVR's alone are a headache.

In addition, he (Dish or Echostar) is already an investor in several technology companies and consortiums such as one company that downloads movies, one company that is working on wired and wireless home distribution solutions--do a search on Google and you will be surprised how many ventures Dish and Echostar have made major investments, along with cable companies and Direct TV, so they are partners in some of these companies and ventures.

Yes, one or several of these companies and ventures into which he has a share takes off and one can piece together a Dish Network service or DVR that gets its stream from the internet or something like it, requiring only one no boxes with all the customer's DVR content stored remotely and can be played back on any TV. Perhaps, the only installed equipment might be a special modem; DONE! HD for the whole house with no boxes and maybe even no satellite, or a robust mixture of the two.

Ergan has his fingers in a lot of technology pots that he will adapt to his service. It takes years for such a convergence of technology to allow for such big change, but the last 8 years went by fast. Ergan and his engineers most likely have a vision or evan a plan for a satellite service we have no idea today is possible. Time will pass, and we shall see.

No, you're looking at this the wrong way. Look at the bigger picture. This is a very big win for EVERYONE, because the MPAA and other groups run by manure munching, reactionary troglodytes have been tightening their grip on how media is used by the customers. I'm not going to go into another rant about the erosion of fair use in this country, but suffice it to say, this is a VERY big win for the consumer and fair use in general.

The remote viewing is an interesting idea.

So, if 1000 people request to record Desperate Housewives, do they record it once or 1000 times ?

And, how much storage does each user get ?

It's an interesting win. One issue I believe was that the Cable companies can't make any extra money through the storage and reselling of content they do not own.

The remote viewing is an interesting idea.

So, if 1000 people request to record Desperate Housewives, do they record it once or 1000 times ?

And, how much storage does each user get ?

It's an interesting win. One issue I believe was that the Cable companies can't make any extra money through the storage and reselling of content they do not own.

If the companies that implement this have an IQ higher than a rock, a show will only be recorded once. :)

This sounds like a glorified VOD with indexes for each user, as far as I can see, no more, nothing less.

That would allow the cable companies to get out of the DVR business, which they are not seriously into, in my experience. During my trial with Comcrap, I had no less than 15 HD DVRs, and finally came back to D* as I was so fed up with them. All the times of running cable, sending multiple service people out, etc. had to make them lose money on my account, they had to. (The moto 64xx boxes were being used, they claimed they were new ones!)

This is a cost cutting venture and like others have said, the hard drive failure cost has to be billions over the years, and this should alleviate most of that problem.

No, you're looking at this the wrong way. Look at the bigger picture. This is a very big win for EVERYONE, because the MPAA and other groups run by manure munching, reactionary troglodytes have been tightening their grip on how media is used by the customers. I'm not going to go into another rant about the erosion of fair use in this country, but suffice it to say, this is a VERY big win for the consumer and fair use in general.
I agree...I just don't see how DBS will be able to take advantage of this technology like the Cable companies. I know the folks at FiOS are chomping-at-the-bit...

If they try to charge us anything more then the $10 per month their raping us for now I'll just stick with the DVR and shop for a 1TB sata expansion HD. I hate the concept of pay per GB so I know I'll hate to pay per hour. Although it should overcome the annoying problem of not being to record multiple programs while watching TV.

When your renting an HD DVR you are for the most part paying by the hour. You get a 160GB hard drive with a fixed amount of hours of recording space at say 10 bucks a month for the DVR Service.

What I find more interesting is the ability to record more than two shows at a time because this service could allow additional recording tuners if you will. I would gladly swap out my three HD DVR boxes for three normal HD boxes "and" continue paying the 30 bucks I was paying each month for DVR services as long as I could record at least 6 shows at a time with at least 150 hours of "HDTV" recording space.

This is the type of service I could really see taking off and the only true cost is server hardware and a few more VOD based QAM channels purely for the additional customer demand. You would still at worst case only send one stream per box so this idea really can work. Just the fact alone knowing if my hard drive or box failed I wouldn't lose my recordings would be worth the money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts