Court sentences man who set up phony EchoStar accounts

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:30 AM MDT
Court sentences man who set up phony EchoStar accountsDenver Business Journal
A California man has been sentenced to serve 33 months in federal prison for setting up more than 4,000 phony EchoStar accounts.
Joseph Masek, 30, of Orange, Calif., is due to report to prison by Sept. 8. U.S. District Court Judge Wiley Daniel imposed the sentence after Masek pled guilty to one count of wire fraud, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said Wednesday.
Masek was ordered to pay $663,729 in restitution to Englewood-based EchoStar Corp. (NASDAQ: SATS). He previously paid the company restitution of $1 million.
The owner of Satellites & More, a Santa Ana, Calif., company, Masek was an independent installer of EchoStar’s services.
EchoStar, a satellite TV company that’s now known as Dish Network Corp., contacted the FBI in Denver in mid-2005 to report it had been defrauded.
The plea agreement said Masek created more than 4,000 bogus accounts from February through June 2005 in order to collect fees and commissions from EchoStar.
EchoStar paid Masek about $2 million in hardware reimbursement and reseller commissions, according to prosecutors.
Court sentences man who set up phony EchoStar accounts - Triangle Business Journal:

Let me recap: Man defrauds over $2,000,000 from Echostar; gets caught; pays back $1,000,000; court orders him to pay back additional $663,729, and he spends the next three years in what is probably a minimum-security facility. He grosses $330K+ out of the deal and has his room and board paid for by the taxpayers for three years. Did I miss anything?

And who said Crime Doesn't Pay? :D

Of course, I bet all his fellow inmates are going to be bugging him for free satellite in their cells!

Let me recap: Man defrauds over $2,000,000 from Echostar; gets caught; pays back $1,000,000; court orders him to pay back additional $663,729, and he spends the next three years in what is probably a minimum-security facility. He grosses $330K+ out of the deal and has his room and board paid for by the taxpayers for three years. Did I miss anything?

Of course, I bet all his fellow inmates are going to be bugging him for free satellite in their cells!

Government can seize anything purchased with that 330k. So if he cant prove where the money came from when he bought his house, car, etc he loses all that too.

A good Ass reaming in prison=Priceless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts