Cox Also Raising Rates on Broadband, TV Services

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cox-Also-Raising-Rates-on-Broadband-TV-Services-135937

Joining Time Warner Cable, Dish, DirecTV and AT&T, Cox Communications is joining the TV/broadband industry rate hike season festivities with some hikes of their own for the new year. A notice sent to Cox subscribers this week states that because the company is "working every day to add value to your Cox services," customers will soon get to pay the company more money in the new year.

According to the notice, most Cox TV packages will be seeing hikes ranging from $1 to $7 per month. Broadband service as well as service bundles will also be seeing significant price increases.

According to the notice, the price hikes will begin January 7, 2016, though as with most hikes, contract customers won't get to enjoy the added "value" until after their current agreements expire. These hikes will vary depending on your location and the amount of local competition.

Amusingly, a few weeks ago Cox posted a website that attacked cord cutting and went to great lengths to mock the high price of over the top Internet video services. But like most of the companies socking users with price hikes in the new year, Cox has yet to really get the message that many consumers will no longer tolerate sometimes bi-annual rate hikes when, on average, they're only watching 17 of the channels offered.

Damn.. I was getting used to 100mbps speeds, but $85 a month is BS. I see they're offering it for $65 a month for a year now. I'm going to call to complain and threaten to drop service unless they give me that lower rate.

Reactions: osu1991
I'm one of those cord cutters. I have Cox Essential Internet which went from $34.99 monthly (in 2011) to $48.99 which I locked in that rate for two yrs. That is the best they would do for me in March of 2014. I was welcomed to my new rate of $57.99 on Friday. I did call customer retention and was given a $50.19 price lock for 1 year. I did tell the rep that Frontier has just completed a fiber optic line upgrade in my area and they're offering a $34.99 rate for 2 yrs (no phone required).

Frontier would have to make my house a "new connection" as they would need to connect from pole to house. In 2011 the October snowstorm we had in CT severed the line and it was never connected by ATT.

Is $50.19 a good rate for Cox Essential Internet service?

I'm one of those cord cutters. I have Cox Essential Internet which went from $34.99 monthly (in 2011) to $48.99 which I locked in that rate for two yrs. That is the best they would do for me in March of 2014. I was welcomed to my new rate of $57.99 on Friday. I did call customer retention and was given a $50.19 price lock for 1 year. I did tell the rep that Frontier has just completed a fiber optic line upgrade in my area and they're offering a $34.99 rate for 2 yrs (no phone required).

Frontier would have to make my house a "new connection" as they would need to connect from pole to house. In 2011 the October snowstorm we had in CT severed the line and it was never connected by ATT.

Is $50.19 a good rate for Cox Essential Internet service?
Essential is $50.99 month, plus tax. That's the regular rate.

Not anymore the new rate straight from my Cox account

Essential $56.99 unless you get price lock, bundle with TV or Phone or are new customer with the intro rate of $44.99
Preferred $69.99
Premier $81.99
Ultimate $99.99
Your quote of my post is before I had a chance to edit it. It's $50.99 here in CT.

Reactions: osu1991
Your quote of my post is before I had a chance to edit it. It's $50.99 here in CT.
I wouldn't have known any better. I just happened to have my account open with all the prices as I'm about to switch TV to cox also and was checking to make sure I had everything correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I am in CT so I decided to call Frontier for their advertised $34.99 a month service. I just called for information regarding installation as I do not have a phone line from pole to house. After about a 5 minute call I almost had phone service and DirectTV for $74.99 a month. Installation was to be on Friday! "I just need your verbal consent", said the rep. I declined and finally was given $47.99 for the internet only. Not taking it.

The rep kept saying how much better the DSL is over Cox. He kept repeating that I'm sharing an internet connection with the entire neighborhood when on cable and the DSL service I have my own direct connection to the service.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I see my house to pole cable connection and my neighbor's and I also see my neighbor's house to pole phone connection. I'd have that same connection to that same line just like everyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)