Cox and TV issues? or just my tv? help, please ):?

bestfoodsareinmytummy

Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Las Vegas
[h=1][/h]I recently moved to some apartments that offered free Cox cable, though I still have a paid month with cox from the last place I lived, I decided to not notify Cox I was moving and I took the cable box, router and modem with me. The problem begins with the cable not working at all with my cable box that I brought over with me "even though it worked perfect this morning, having a lot more channels I had when I paid for it." when I came back from work, I tried hooking it up neatly, but it didn't work, it was like if I hadn't connected the box to anything at all, then I tried just plugging in the coax cable to the back of my hdtv and it didn't read it, except for 20 very very faint and foggy channels. the other rooms are fine, so I tried hooking my tv to a different room, but nothing was different, it's like I'm not connecting my tv or box to anything, no matter what room I go to.

however, the weird thing is, I tried connecting my router and modem just for the fun of it and I got 30MB speed on the internet throughout the house, anyone have any idea what this might be due to?
anyone have any guesses at all?
by the way, I'll try calling the manager of the apartments and Cox on Monday being I work tomorrow, but hopefully someone answers this, or takes a wild guess :)

[h=1][/h]I recently moved to some apartments that offered free Cox cable, though I still have a paid month with cox from the last place I lived, I decided to not notify Cox I was moving and I took the cable box, router and modem with me. The problem begins with the cable not working at all with my cable box that I brought over with me "even though it worked perfect this morning, having a lot more channels I had when I paid for it." when I came back from work, I tried hooking it up neatly, but it didn't work, it was like if I hadn't connected the box to anything at all, then I tried just plugging in the coax cable to the back of my hdtv and it didn't read it, except for 20 very very faint and foggy channels. the other rooms are fine, so I tried hooking my tv to a different room, but nothing was different, it's like I'm not connecting my tv or box to anything, no matter what room I go to.

however, the weird thing is, I tried connecting my router and modem just for the fun of it and I got 30MB speed on the internet throughout the house, anyone have any idea what this might be due to?
anyone have any guesses at all?
by the way, I'll try calling the manager of the apartments and Cox on Monday being I work tomorrow, but hopefully someone answers this, or takes a wild guess :)

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Like osu1991 said, it sounds like your box isn't authorized any longer. Perhaps a call to Cox's customer service?

but if that's the case, how come when I try to hook it up directly to my tv without the box from another room it still doesn't work, and how do you explain the internet for free. I mean don't you need an ip adress first, which means paying for that service. anyhow, thanks guys, this is just weird to me.

Maybe the unit that you are moving to isn't working. Like I said, try calling Cox. They are the only ones that would know for certain.

but if that's the case, how come when I try to hook it up directly to my tv without the box from another room it still doesn't work, and how do you explain the internet for free. I mean don't you need an ip adress first, which means paying for that service. anyhow, thanks guys, this is just weird to me.

That's why I think your line is filtered. If you're getting an ip for internet, but no tv service, then I imagine video is blocked on the line. I have Cox for internet and phone. I can plug directly into my tv and when it scans I can get the locals which are unencrypted, but everything else is blocked off the line.

It could also be that the apt complex has their own headend and they are not passing the Cox signal thru exactly as Cox sends the signal. Either way Cox or the Apt Management are going to have to check for you.

So I tried taking a simple spliter and using it instead of this SV-A15-PRS-m amplifier that has a cable trap on one of it's 2 ends, and when I took it off both the internet and the cable seem to be working just fine, but now not only do I have the local channels but also a lot of hd channels that I don't usually have with the plan I used to pay for at the house I just moved from.
any idea why that is? I mean I thought that maybe since I used all the equipment that I had at the other house that maybe the signal is still there, kind of like following me because I did pay for this month but did not notify them that I moved here. DO you guys think that happened? or am I just lucky to have free internet and cable with HD channels, or is this more likely to be a glitch?

It could be that Cox is allowing more channels at the new place. Places that have bulk cable like that are handled differently than regular accounts.

Your going to get whatever the Apt complex is authorized to receive in regards to TV, if the apt complex is providing the service.

The internet, it doesn't matter where you are at, as long as the cable line is active, your service is tied to your modem. So if your modem is active in the system, then you will get service as long as the incoming line is active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)