COX Cable

gwdave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
CT
I had something interesting happen today..... I have switched to dish network last summer (2 year contract) COX Cable stopped by today wanting me to switch back to them.... I told them that when they could give me a good a package as I have now I might consider it........ I told the gent that driving from the highway (1 mile) to the house last year there was 6 or 7 satellite dishes, now there are over 16.... I told the guy that when I dumped COX I was paying $180.00 per month, for the package bundle I now have AT&T for tel, and internet with dish and am paying just over $100.00, plus the fact that when I am camping I still get most of the channels I get now. COX could never do that........ He said he got 3 dish people to switch, however he did say that they were DIRECT TV. I told him that most of my friends that have Direct do not like it....

I have Charter internet. ( it's awesome)...... but anyway! They called me trying to get me to switch to their TV service. I said no thanks! I have Dish Network, and he says, how do like them? I said it's been great! Then he tries to offer me a bundle and says I could save money. I said you don't have no where near enough HD channels for me to leave Dish. I heard the wind go out of his sails immediately, and he says okay, I understand.... Then he rattles off their 800 number and says to keep them in mind if I ever leave Dish,Bye! They only have about 40 HD channels. I don't know how they expect to keep up unless they start investing in HD.

Comcast is no better ... at least in my area... I have this level of disgust feeling to vomit rise up in my throat every time I see the Comcast triple play crap ... and I go to their website to see what they have.. nope.. can't do phone, internet, and video *here* ... just internet & video ... and then when you add on the fees for DVR ... and their DVR offereing is an even smaller sized drive than dish's ... and they want more for it? anger disgust and wanting to spew... and as it is with the internet if I had *any* other option out here.. sure its fast.. but they charge me 10 dollars more because I don't subscribe to their TV services ... they block outbound ports and then were caught mangling peer to peer... and the worst part... even though I have UPS's on everything.. if the power fails in the area, cable internet goes out ... so does the digital teir (or did back then) of their hybrid system ... like they couldn't invest in battery backups at the keypoints where they have equipment needing it? horrible service when the internet fails..

Hey, not much I can say about internet service via a cable company. I used to install HSD back when AT&T had the @Home service (before parting it out to Adelphia, Comcast, Bresnan, and likely a few more companies-all of whom I contracted to) and I have been hooked to cable internet since. IMO something would have to be super-quick and nifty to switch there. TV? Cable is just not my bag anymore and I only use a cell.

Glad to hear you are on the DISH bus for TV. Judging by the threads Scott started with the "big announcements" I am excited to be a part of it at this end, and I will be a DISH loyal forever. :D

TG2, as far as Comcast in my area, the only issue I have had (twice) was a modem failure with this Trevelyn(? spelling) modem they gave me. It was poo. I took it to a local office and made them give me a Moto Surfboard. Tried and true, and I am going to purchase the new (not so new now) Motorola Extreme Cable Gateway/Router eventually and kick the lease fee. I am a Moto nut job, honestly. I have customers I installed 6 years ago still running on the same surfboard, and my T-majigger modem was exchanged twice.:eek: Oh wait, to be truthful there was a near-fatal accident close to my home where a person slid off the road and hit a ped, but I don't count that as an issue with the service (nor do I count a modem failure, for that matter-it happens when you use and abuse it).

Last edited:
I got a free month of the coxes digital cable, and I went ahead and got the DVR too. Just to see how there's where compared to DISH's DVR's. Lets just say that I was bad! I was able to fill up the DVR in about three days, and the menu and Guide all looked like it was from the 90's. Plus, they charged you $10 for the DVR fee, then like the receiver is $7.25. And they would only let me get one receiver, they told me that one bedroom apartments only get one receiver and that is all I should need. Yet I have dish and I got two receivers, a 922 and a 612. So, over all my experience with Cox is not good on the cable side. I do have them for internet, it is fastest I can get, and love it. But, over all over Time Warner Cable, and Cox, to me DISH is way better!

My first job out of college was installing for TCI, which sold out to ATT which then sold the system to Cox in Tulsa. Cox is finally starting to get rid of the of the old Motorola boxes for people that take their new whole home dvr service, although I think they are still using some version of the passport software. It just launched in Tulsa about two months ago. They tried to get me to switch last year when I had my cable internet service moved to the new house and I flat out told them until they got rid of the Motorola boxes with their crappy software and the 30hrs of HD storage, they would not be a competitor. They were also blocking the 30 second skip forward button too.

I have to admit now, Cox in Tulsa is not bad channel wise. They have just about everything in HD now, including some channels Dish and Direct are missing and their new whole home dvr system with the new Cisco boxes is supposed to be pretty good. One of my employees just had his home upgraded to the whole home dvr service, by our neighbor that works for Cox. I need to go check it out, but in my opinion it will be hard to beat Dish's equipment and user interface. Last time I looked they were not competitive price wise either for programming. Equipment pricing is about the same or cheaper than Dish now.

I have Comcast's Internet and Phone service and Dish for TV. The internet and phone have been great. But don't get me started on their TV service. Their HD lineup has been expanding but the boxes are so clunky. They still use the old Motorola boxes out here. They charge 16.00 per HD-DVR box :eek: which only have a 160 GB hard drive! I would never give up my 722k's for those pieces of crap! DISH is the way to go for TV! Picture attached: the Comcast HD DVR.

Attachments

• moto1.jpg
    moto1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 140