Cox Info on New Internet and TV Hook Up

geoffinak

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I am about to get internet through Cox in San Diego after using Satellite for 3 years. I want the fastest speed possible, which here looks like 12 Mbs down.
I will have a few computers going. Limited TV for Baseball and possible phone service.

The pipe came today and the cable has to be installed about a 500 foot run. What should I know from the basic to the complex about getting the best internet connection, from the underground wire to the socket on my TV. Especially internet, should I buy the modem or rent, are there different modems available through Cox or does one size fit all, what's best. I have a network through an Apple Extreme Base Station and know that part well.

Will I need amplifiers for the house, how do they measure the capability of the connection, what is a bare minimum range and what is high range, is there a cheap or inexpensive meter I can buy to test the output at the outlets, as this system is put in and starts working, other then speed tests off the computer

How many hook up spots should I ask for through the house and is there a way it should be wired, so not to lose signal loss if I want outlets in multiple rooms. Don't want something pulling on performance from other outlets, using TV or another computer.

How about wire thickness to feed me for 500 foot trench I think there calling for 1 inch to my house. I also gave them access to put 2 -2 inch lines in my trench, so now they can reach a pole and serve a lot of other people when the time comes. So the installers should give me a deal and give me a gold standard install. As I had to have my own trench dug and the installers collapsed part of it

As I am at the start of what could be a longer run with other houses in a few years, what should be built in to make sure I don't get hit with slower speeds or is it the people downline from me that will get the 8 PM rush slow down. Although actually my line is separate from that expansion .

How about install day in the house, yes everything should work but if anyone knows a quality cable install by all means please inform the new guy. I have been satellite since 99.

Any advice most gratefully appreciated. I have the bare basics but experience and all ideas greatly appreciated from the simple to landing on the moon.

Thank you for any comments.
Enjoy!
Geoff

Well more then likely for a 500ft run they would need to run a feeder cable down to you. .625 or .500 (.540 .640) depending on the type they use. and put a tap closer to your home. 500ft even with RG11 is a big loss of signal. (about 4db per 100ft at the 750mhz range) So thats 20db loss just in cable. So unless they run a feeder down there, (.625 loses about 2db per 100ft) then you will not be happy with the signal. Unless they are running the system so hot that it can eat up a 20db loss (which I highly doubt)

Also id advise to rent the modem, if it ever has problems they replace it free. If you own it its your cost to bare.

Well more then likely for a 500ft run they would need to run a feeder cable down to you. .625 or .500 (.540 .640) depending on the type they use. and put a tap closer to your home. 500ft even with RG11 is a big loss of signal. (about 4db per 100ft at the 750mhz range) So thats 20db loss just in cable. So unless they run a feeder down there, (.625 loses about 2db per 100ft) then you will not be happy with the signal. Unless they are running the system so hot that it can eat up a 20db loss (which I highly doubt)

Also id advise to rent the modem, if it ever has problems they replace it free. If you own it its your cost to bare.

Cable modems are so cheap these days they you can pay for one yourself and start saving in less than 6 months. I've had the same modem for 4 or 5 years and it works great. That $10 a month adds up quick!

Well more then likely for a 500ft run they would need to run a feeder, . 625 loses about 2db per 100ft) then you will not be happy with the signal. Unless they are running the system so hot that it can eat up a 20db loss (which I highly doubt)

They have 2 - 2" inch schedule 40 plastic conduit pipes that makes the 500 foot run and then when they get close to my house, the have a T that comes off 1 of the 2" inch schedule 40 conduits and that conduit is 1 inch schedule 40 that runs about 15 feet to my house .

The 2 large 2" inch pipe is obviously for future . I am not sure as to the cable placement but looks as if they will tee off, however I don't see where they could tap off a large cable so maybe I get single run cable to my hose that goes inside one of the 2 inch conduits via the 1 inch T at my home.

So by feeder cable, should be bigger then .625, what would be the ideal size. I am coming off a simple "green metal ground distribution pole" 500 away about 4 feet high an 2 feet wide . They designer did mention to me that he may need to install a amplifier on my line until they upgrade for the other houses. A year or more away. 2 - 2" conduits, they must really be going to expand.

I just want a good signal, as I had to dig this trench and have to backfill it, I can't do it, disabled , but the cost has been high and I am giving them a easement to the world. Oh well no more satellite.

Thank you guys for the info, stuff like this and the modems are very informative and really helpful to me. I really appreciate it.
Best
Geoff

Looks Like its 18 gauge wire from the printing on the cable is this going to be powerful enough to
pump the CATV multiple, internet 12 Mbs down
and telephone.??? So if I am in the 0716 (if that's right size) will it handle the loss in 500 feet.
I missed the guy who checked it, although he is releasing it to turn on the juice, so should those be the guys I m bugging, nicely to make this puppy sing. This has been a huge project and I have taken al the expenses 2500 and given them a 500 foot easement to reach a pole to service a lot of people. Later on But I don't want to make sure that I

Ok here is what I got off the wire.

Stern RE197429RGS1U U.L. CM- CATV 1 CL2 UV 18 AWG 60C 2250 MHZ

75 OHM Digital Satellite Cable 75 OHM 0716 FF

Thanks
Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)