Cox New Orleans Scrambles HD Local Chs

wtkflhn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Metairie, La
Hi Folks!

It appears that Cox New Orleans has scrambled the local HD chanels. This means they can't be seen with a QAM tuner. Has this happened anywhere else?

I don't think anyone has challenged them on that.

Thanks.

Don H.

What level of service do you subscribe to? How long ago did they begin scrambling? Were you able to see them before?

I have basic, extended basic and cable modem. I also have a Motorola HD converter for which I have a digital gateway. The Motorola box is legitimate and I have no touble with it. It just QAM tuners that seem to have that trouble. I have 2 HD sets. My big set in the living room has the Motorola box. My 17 in in a bedroom has the QAM tuner. I'm not the only one having this trouble. There is and HD sig on the WWLTV web site that many of us locals use. That's where we are talking about it.

I just saw this forum about Cox cable and thouth I would pose this question to see if this was some kind of policy Cox was imposing.

The scrambling started about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks.

D.H.

wtkflhn said:
Hi Folks!

It appears that Cox New Orleans has scrambled the local HD chanels. This means they can't be seen with a QAM tuner. Has this happened anywhere else?

I don't think anyone has challenged them on that.

Thanks.

Don H.

Here in CT they have scrambled the PBS-HD channel, but that is the only one, I think.

Cox local HD Channels in New Orleans

I live in the New Orleans area and can receive local HD channels just fine with my QAM tuner.

TMF

How would changing a channel mapping mess with a digital QAM tuner? The tuner should re-align itself to any new mapping changes and continue normally.
I don't beleive it would be in the interest of the cable company to continually change teir map as the digital converters would then have to re-align as well which would put unnecessary stress on the system.

lakid_1 said:
How would changing a channel mapping mess with a digital QAM tuner? The tuner should re-align itself to any new mapping changes and continue normally.
I don't beleive it would be in the interest of the cable company to continually change teir map as the digital converters would then have to re-align as well which would put unnecessary stress on the system.

It's actually not in the best interest of the cable co...they want to make money off of the rental of their HD boxes and when you are "QAM'ing it" they aren't making money.

So if they mess up the mappings on the QAM tuners, people will complain, Cox will rent a box.

A prime example right now...in my market... ABC and NBC are both mapped to 2-1. Why do you think this is like this? ;) It drives some QAM tuners nuts!

My QAM tuner has been just fine. I really don't understand all the fuss. Maybe a Channel Scan is needed.

Although I must admit, the small fee for the digital box that gives me access to Free VOD and the 7 day Guide is well worth the money spent. I also like the 5.1 Dolby available with most HBO On Demand programming.

I don.t think Cox will make any money on Converter Box rentals for years when you consider how much the boxes cost up front.

lakid_1 said:

Well, thats not true. The channel mapping remap if you have a cable card and they rehit it after any changes.

They do the same for the STBs - so its really not a big deal for them to change them around - however, few change them around that often at all.

Well.

Just so every one knows. It looks like Cox has seen the error of it's way.
And the QAM tuners have been returned to their their former glory. They are now working OK. But they were blocked for about a week. Maybe Cox wanted know how many were out there.

Don H.

wtkflhn said:
Well.

Just so every one knows. It looks like Cox has seen the error of it's way.
And the QAM tuners have been returned to their their former glory. They are now working OK. But they were blocked for about a week. Maybe Cox wanted know how many were out there.

Don H.

Cox is now carrying the digital signal in the clear, but encrypting the simulcast analog channel. There was a technical glitch during the time they were setting up simulcast, but that was caught and fixed thanks to this thread.

Looks like they did it in the Phoenix area too. Last week I'm getting local channels in HD (over expanted basic cable, no STB), including PBS using a QAM LCD HDTV. The only HD channel thats left after a rescan is Fox HD. This is really irritating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)