Cox Selling off a very big chunk of their markets...

Wow, this would affect me for sure. Even after we get our satellite back in August we would still need cable internet. I wonder who will buy those markets?

I'm with you Neutron, this will affect us for sure. I went to Cox Digital cable after loosing Voom and I have been very pleased with the picture quality. At least it will take quite a while to make the change-over, giving us time to make other plans, except the internet and that has been great. If we end up with someone like Comcast, we could be looking at download limits and very poor customer service. I would NOT be happy with that. I don't have DSL available at my house, so I may be up a creek without a paddle.

Amarillo's Cox is on the block. It will be interesting to see if Cox sells to one buyer or they allow other companies to cherry-pick.

The ones in Texas I would assume would be bought out by Time Warner since they have the other big markets and are taking over Comcast's market in DFW.

I wouldn't mind Time Warner for internet. My best friend had them in SC and was pleased with the service.

I'm not a fan of Cox's cable service. Up in the small town north of Tyler where my wife and I live the cable service sucks, but is expected of a small town. The first 99 channels, the majority of the channels they get, are analog, and I can see the static on my widescreen. I got spoiled with Directv's digital picture. I will have it once again in August.

Neutron said:
The ones in Texas I would assume would be bought out by Time Warner since they have the other big markets and are taking over Comcast's market in DFW.

I wouldn't mind Time Warner for internet. My best friend had them in SC and was pleased with the service.

I'm not a fan of Cox's cable service. Up in the small town north of Tyler where my wife and I live the cable service sucks, but is expected of a small town. The first 99 channels, the majority of the channels they get, are analog, and I can see the static on my widescreen. I got spoiled with Directv's digital picture. I will have it once again in August.

Are you using 16:9 format on your big screen for SD channels? I know this will degrade the PQ. I have Cox here in VA and my PQ on SD digital channels are as good as Voom was. The analog channels PQ is okay too. I am viewing them in 4:3 format too. The HD channels on Cox here are excellant.

If I don't do that I will get the black bars on the sides, and even though I have a front CRT TV, I don't want to risk burn-in for that long of time, since I can't get any HD channels where I live.

Neutron said:
If I don't do that I will get the black bars on the sides, and even though I have a front CRT TV, I don't want to risk burn-in for that long of time, since I can't get any HD channels where I live.

I see now, I guess I should of looked at your equipment. I am running a DLP at my house, so I don't have a burn-in problem.

As for no HD, that really sucks!! I had 40HD channels with Voom and now I am down to 10HD with Cox here in VA.

I have the Motorolla HD/DVR box, but I was told that they haven't run the fiber to our small town (Tyler is where I work, not live) so that's why they don't offer HD yet. I was told though that they hope to have HD available very soon.

Neutron,
I am in Tyler, and the PQ for Cox is very good. Analog and digital. The HD content, though slim in number, is very good. Much better than Voom. I talked to the tech in charge of the head-end unit and he said that they were passing the bandwidth through to the cable exactly as they get it from the source. Schweeet! HD is being passed at the full 19mbps and SD is some where in the 6mbps range. This is for analog and digital channels. I am using a 65" Mits RPTV and am getting very good picture quality for both. Hope you can get that too, when fiber-optics are run to where you live. Would that be in Lindale? Sounds like it from the way you were talking.

Not Lindale, though I do drive through there back and forth to work. Try another 35 miles north.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts