Cox Tech Chat

desiguy2447

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2004
*** Gainesville Florida Cox ***

Over the weekend, I got a chance to have a 45 minute face to face chat with a COX Tech.

First off I asked Cox when they would switch over to MPEG 4 Receivers (like Comcast is in the process of doing). Cox said no chance of that happening because the cost is too high, and in Gainesville & Ocala we basically have no competition in the offering video service. However Cox said AT&T Uverse is suppose to start in Gainesville in two years.

Second Question: Why doesn't Cox offer more HD? Cox: Because most the customers in Gainesville & Ocala use our analog service. Cox went as far to say that the percentage of people getting HDTV from Cox was very small compared to the number of people getting Analog service.

Third Question: Dish Network will be launching Gainesville Locals in HD soon. Is Cox concerned? Cox: No we are not concerned because Gainesville has too many tree's so most people cannot get Dish Network. (Last I spoke with Dish, Dish said they had a good amount of customers in Gainesville).

Fourth Question: Does Cox plan to update the software on the current Mpeg2 Receivers? Cox: We cannot update software because we have maxed out the firmware updates. Cox really needs better receivers, but that again is not going to happen (referring the second part question one).

Fifth Question: Any concerns about Uverse coming? Cox no not yet because we the Cox techs are not sure how stable Uverse is going to be for customers.

There you go enjoy.. (Now Dish please upload our locals in HD soon)!!

This is almost like a checklist of what's wrong with many cable companies with these questions.

1. We're not going to upgrade our video service quality because we care only about the bottom line and not investing towards the future.

2. Rather than make our service more appealing with more HD services, we're going to keep serving up mediocre channels in hopes that people won't look elsewhere for something better. Did it ever occur to them that maybe the reason there aren't a lot of HD subscribers is because their HD offerings suck?

3. That's just plain stupid logic. All you need is a chainsaw and your "Tree" problem is solved.

4. Again, let's just stick with crappy equipment for as long as people will tolerate it instead of investing towards the future. That's a real good idea in this economy. I understand that costs need to be cut, but you also need to stay competitive.

5. Given the quality that these guys seem to be delivering, I'd be worried about ANY sort of competition if I were them.

Again, "Cox" living up to their name. Nice to know CT residence aren't the only ones exposed to their incompetence.

Nice to know that cox lives up to the name in other cities.. :D Interesting here once Dish / Direct addes HD locals, and more so when Uverse comes to town.

I think you're being a little too generous with that statement. :down

Well for our expectations yes. But the silent majority doesnt see a problem with the Garbage Cox is putting out there right now. I was driving into work this morning and one of the jockey's was reading a Cox plug and at the end of it, it said "COX, your ulitmate source for HD programming". I almost wrecked my car. False advertisment at its best.

Well for our expectations yes. But the silent majority doesnt see a problem with the Garbage Cox is putting out there right now. I was driving into work this morning and one of the jockey's was reading a Cox plug and at the end of it, it said "COX, your ulitmate source for HD programming". I almost wrecked my car. False advertisment at its best.
Try doing what I did and write a letter to your local newspaper's editor. Get prices from D*, E* and Cox, and post them all up and put how many HD channels they have on each system. Knowledge is power after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts