Craigs List Find

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Apprentice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Wichita Kansas
I found this on dish on craigs list today. Seems to be in great shape and all there. Will this work out ok for 101 or 125 sats? I did not think it was too bad of a buy for 15 dollars since it was on the way home anyway :)

Attachments

• IMG00127.jpg
    IMG00127.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 314
That's a keeper! Looks like either a 1 meter or 90cm ChannelMaster/Primestar dish. The LNB may be only single polarity, but there are models available - it's a c120 flange - which will bolt right up to the feedhorn. I have a 90cm and get everything from 72 to 125 on it. Keep us informed on how it works out for you.

I have not had time to look at it too close. Tomorrow will be more telling as I will get a better look. I just made sure the el/az adjustment head was there and that the dish looked good and not torn up. Looks pretty nice for the price. I will let you know more as I get to look at it and test it out.

Sill question but hey won't know till I ask. What is a C120 flange?

Wish my Craigslist had stuff like that...

A C-120 flange is a common standard mounting interface between the feedhorn and LNB when they are both separate parts, as they are on commercial dishes such as that one.

There are basically four screws holding the LNB to the feedhorn. Once you take those screws out, the feedhorn and LNB (or waveguide/LNB assembly) will separate. You can then install a new LNB with a C-120 flange, such as the FSS LNB from a Dish Network Superdish or a Hughes LNB, to the feedhorn and get both polarities.

LOL @ Skyscanner that wound HAVE been in Wichita, KS. There are a few 84E dishes sitting in backyards on the ground in the same area. Thinking that next week I may have to inquire about them also :)

I did a quick look at it this morning. it is CM 90M-1 so that is the 90 CM model I am guessing. Measures 40 in hieght and 36 in width.

I does appear to have a sigle polarity LNB on it. So guess I will have to figure out the method of swapping the LNB. I am assuming that I can keep the feed horn and just install a new LNB body? Is that what is meant by saying it is a 120 flange?

bigger is better

Those commercial dishes are measured by their width (aperture, really) so a "36 inch" dish is 36" wide, and taller than that.
The extra size alone will give you better performance than a common 36" tall dish.

I'll do an even-up trade for my CM .7M if you're pressed for room for that .9M(lol) I love CM dishes, think they are the best. Nice Find!

Space is not an issue at this time. Wife is ok with it as long as I keep them in the back of the house :)

Only issue is figuring out what LNB to use with it. I have done some goggle searches but not found anything yet. I am probably just not searching for the right thing.

Any round-feed LNBF would work pretty well,
- give you maximum flexibility,
- maximum hardware choices,
- and be inexpensive.

Keeping the feed is very wise for the elliptical shaped dishes like the 84e, but may not be so serious for the round ones like you have.

Three choices come to mind, if you want to stay with the existing feedhorn.

- expensive Invacom QPF-031 (not to be confused with the QPH-031 which has a round feedhorn built in)

- Hughs LNB as shown in picture below (credit to Tron, I think)

- DishNetwork bandstacked LNB from SuperDish (credit for pix to Tron again)

There may be other options.

Attachments

• PrimeStarLNBac_1.JPG
    PrimeStarLNBac_1.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 264
  • PrimestarHornDishFSSlnb.jpg
    PrimestarHornDishFSSlnb.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 165
So you don't think that not using the feed will be ok. Since from the offset point of view the dish is round? I have lots of KU lnbs from super dish but don't want to deal with the bandstacked.

Looks like the Huges lnb is the same as the Eagle Aspen 270. Will it mount up to the LNB holder if I take off the clamp from the top of the holder?

I have not seen the invacom yet but will do a quick look :)

Apprentice
Not familiar with the Hughes or Eagle, but Invacom is good and will bolt up to the CM feed. I also use the bullet lnb's from Sat AV as well as others, but as I said just about anything with a 40mm throat will bolt right in and work fine as evidenced by the pic.
ss

Both the Eagle Aspen P270(dual conn.) & the Hughes(single conn.) will work with the C120 feedhorns. Both are dual polarity. Either one is a lot less expensive than the Invacom.
Hughes DirecPC lnb ebay item #190277299643

Last edited:
I am assuming that I can keep the feed horn and just install a new LNB body? Is that what is meant by saying it is a 120 flange?

Yes, the feedhorn is separate from the LNB, and has the C-120 flanged interface to mount to any compatible LNB. I have attached a picture of a single polarity LNB mounted to a waveguide, which is mounted to the feedhorn of a Channel Master dish (same as your dish).

Looks like the Huges lnb is the same as the Eagle Aspen 270. Will it mount up to the LNB holder if I take off the clamp from the top of the holder?

If you take off the single polarity LNB and waveguide, the Hughes will bolt right onto the feedhorn where the old assembly was attached. Remember to keep and reinstall the O-ring that should be sandwiched in between the feedhorn and LNB for weatherproofing.

Attachments

• FeedAssembly.jpg
    FeedAssembly.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 174
Both the Eagle Aspen P270(dual conn.) & the Hughes(single conn.) will work with the C120 feedhorns. Both are dual polarity. Either one is a lot less expensive than the Invacom.
Hughes DirecPC lnb ebay item #190277299643
Here is the link with pictures of the Hughes on eBay - Hughes DirecWay: DirecPC LNB FSS SAT2 1025448-0008A KU - eBay (item 190277299643 end time Oct-22-10 10:43:23 PDT)

As Tron said, it will bolt right up to the feedhorn. Do take out the waveguide though. When I first changed out mine from the single polarity lnb to the Hughes I left it in and something just wasn't right. After looking things over and making some measurements I decided to take the waveguide out and Bingo! Made a world of difference.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)