Craigslist: need fta satellite dish aligned - $30 (edwardsville, il)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The guy (or gal) in this craig's list ad ought to join our forum! Then we can teach him how to DIH and maintain it. That is, of course, if they are not disabled and are physically fit to perform the tasks.

RADAR

The guy (or gal) in this craig's list ad ought to join our forum! Then we can teach him how to DIH and maintain it. That is, of course, if they are not disabled and are physically fit to perform the tasks.

RADAR

Probably someone not interested in learning or they would have found the site. It's not very hard to find :)

I know a fellow that pays over $100 for someone to fix/aim his FTA dishes, has no clue how to do it himself. Can't figure out why he doesn't just take out a bell or shaw sub, that's what the pizza dish people are for! Won't let me set them up though, he gets a "professional".

$30 for Aligning a Motorized Dish is a "little" on the low side.

"a little" LOL!!! :D

"A LOT" too low!!! Minimum of $175 for even the easiest motor install. Might even charge more if it was first customer mounted... Usually need to de-install before starting the real install. Then there are usually many post install support calls to reinforce the operation and not to mention the inevitable Factory Resets. :eek:

Don't think I want that ($30)guy coming to my house. :D

Might even charge more if it was first customer mounted... Usually need to de-install before starting the real install.
Yep, been there, done that.
Re-assemble the Dish too.
Don't forget - Install a "proper" post - not a "Menards" fence post.
Oh, and 2 trips to hardware store 'cause they lost some of the "extra" nuts and bolts.

Lak7, You don't like them cheap fence posts? Lol. I've used them and poured them full of gravel or concrete. They are solid then. I've got my primary dishes on good posts though. If the guy was serious about FTA and close by I'd finish an install for 30 bucks. Then I'd give him some valuable knowledge we've all learned the hard way, on how to keep it going etc...That knowledge is priceless

Prices are relative. Perhaps he's on a fixed income, and $30 to him, is the same as $300 to us, but maybe it's all he truly can afford. Or maybe he's just cheap, but we don't know that.

He made the offer, and it's up to somebody to attempt to educate him as to why it's far too little per the work involved. After all, how many of US have been "suckered" into reading the instructions of a motor install, and thinking we'd be done inside on 1 hour, and all would be well? On paper it just seems so EASY and simple, doesn't it?

I expect he'll get nobody as it stands, OR somebody will come and con him into handing over the $30 up front, and then he'll just get cheated when the job isn't done right. That's not right of anybody to do that to him either.

You don't like them cheap fence posts? Lol. I've used them and poured them full of gravel or concrete.
The key word in there is "you". Meaning, after you arrive, "you" have to tell them to fill the post with concrete and return another day.

My guess is that he looked around the internet for installers, got sticker chock, so decided to try craigslist.

not cheap

It becomes a ALL day job as they want the Whole arch all scanned in.
only installs I'll do if select all the components.
it's done right and get little call backs.
$$ well spent not cheap.

I've installed motorized dishes for friends, but they have to be GOOD friends :D ... I should print out a T-shirt that says "Friends help you install a fixed dish. Only BEST FRIENDS help you install a motorized dish.", or something like that.

Not that it is particularly hard to do, but it IS time consuming because of the many variables, and there will always be something that comes up. I have found this to be the case every time I've installed a motorized dish, including my own multiple installations in my dish farm.

Patience is a valuable commodity, and plenty of it is needed on such a job ;) ...

Last edited:
My Winegard 3100 is up, BUT getting it up is the easy part. Getting it on the arc properly is the part that takes time. Too cold here and too busy to get it tuned beyond the 87 to 103 sats right now. Way too busy to drive down to Edwardsville for $30 too.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)