Create FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sergei

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
iowa
Been trying to get the FTA Create channel with no luck on AMC 21 12180V 30000 so is it me or are the listing incorrect. The channel seems to have no output and right now I'm using a 7.5' dish hooked up to my GEOSATpro receiver with an quality of 80%.

sergei said:
Been trying to get the FTA Create channel with no luck on AMC 21 12180V 30000 so is it me or are the listing incorrect. The channel seems to have no output and right now I'm using a 7.5' dish hooked up to my GEOSATpro receiver with an quality of 80%.

Listing is correct. Watching right now on a GEOSATpro DSR200c. Scans right in. No manual input necessary. Scans as Un-named.

Then I'm guessing that I must not be tracking to the correct satellite and thanks for all the reply's.

First thing I’ve checked is whether I’m on the right satellite and the answer is YES. I decided to setup my 8’ dish, new dual LNB to see if my signal would improve from the 7.5 dish and it did jump to 98 without any fine turning. for AMC21, G3 is at 100, so dish appears to be tracking . So far doing a blind scan I’m only seeing 2 V channels out of all the channels and the rest (28) are all H.
Going into the antenna /LNB setting with LNB set to Universal and Frequency at 9750/10750.
Transponder 1. 12180 V 30000 … Quality = 0
2. 12180 V 37000 …. 0
3. 12162 V 29255 …. 98
4. 12180 V 30000 …. 0
5. 11160 V 2925 ….. 98
Maybe I’m wrong but shouldn’t I be seeing transponder output on an active one that’s listed even before doing a scan? Needless to say I’m puzzled over this. I've tried both Universal and Standard with no change, same reading.. I’ve got other satellites in my receiver that are also V and the Texas Cable News is one that’s located on G23 and others are on G17.

First thing I’ve checked is whether I’m on the right satellite and the answer is YES. I decided to setup my 8’ dish, new dual LNB to see if my signal would improve from the 7.5 dish and it did jump to 98 without any fine turning. for AMC21, G3 is at 100, so dish appears to be tracking . So far doing a blind scan I’m only seeing 2 V channels out of all the channels and the rest (28) are all H.
Going into the antenna /LNB setting with LNB set to Universal and Frequency at 9750/10750.
Transponder 1. 12180 V 30000 … Quality = 0
2. 12180 V 37000 …. 0
3. 12162 V 29255 …. 98
4. 12180 V 30000 …. 0
5. 11160 V 2925 ….. 98
Maybe I’m wrong but shouldn’t I be seeing transponder output on an active one that’s listed even before doing a scan? Needless to say I’m puzzled over this. I've tried both Universal and Standard with no change, same reading.. I’ve got other satellites in my receiver that are also V and the Texas Cable News is one that’s located on G23 and others are on G17.

I don't understand at all why you say that you've checked and know that you're on the right sat??? Ie what do you mean when you say "for AMC21, G3 is at 100"????? This doesn't make any sense to me.

On another topic, looking at your hardware, it looks like you're using a Corotor feedhorn, and if so, you should be setting your receiver to STANDARD (ie 10750) NOT "Universal , 9750/10750" .
With that setting, you're likely to find two things when you do a blind scan, (1) get duplicates when the receiver THINKS that it's using 2 different LO freqs, and (2) some of the freqs will be wrong. Ie if your blind scan gave a signal at 12162 and 11160, that is likely to be the same signal, since your 2 LO freqs are 1000 apart. I presume that the 12160V30000 is an actual hit, but there isn't any such freq on AMC21. That freq does appear on other satellites however, typically for data transponders. I really suspect that you're on the wrong satellite.

Also, I'm curious relative to how you're changing polarity? I assume that you're using one of your 4DTVs to change polarity, but I wasn't sure. Also, again assuming that you're using a Corotor feed, I assume that you also have C-band analog capability on the dishes you're trying to find AMC21 on, and that you used one of your 4DTVs, sending the dish to G14 (G5)? If so, are you seeing the scrambled ESPN signals on ch-9 and ch14? Are you receiving Ku on other sats, because the example you gave above is C-band. If you do see Ku, do you see the Ku at the same position as the C band version of that sat?
Reason for last 2 questions is that if the feedhorn isn't at the proper focal point, then Ku will not focus at the same point that C-band does.

I don't understand at all why you say that you've checked and know that you're on the right sat??? Ie what do you mean when you say "for AMC21, G3 is at 100"????? This doesn't make any sense to me.

On another topic, looking at your hardware, it looks like you're using a Corotor feedhorn, and if so, you should be setting your receiver to STANDARD (ie 10750) NOT "Universal , 9750/10750" .
With that setting, you're likely to find two things when you do a blind scan, (1) get duplicates when the receiver THINKS that it's using 2 different LO freqs, and (2) some of the freqs will be wrong. Ie if your blind scan gave a signal at 12162 and 11160, that is likely to be the same signal, since your 2 LO freqs are 1000 apart. I presume that the 12160V30000 is an actual hit, but there isn't any such freq on AMC21. That freq does appear on other satellites however, typically for data transponders. I really suspect that you're on the wrong satellite.

Also, I'm curious relative to how you're changing polarity? I assume that you're using one of your 4DTVs to change polarity, but I wasn't sure. Also, again assuming that you're using a Corotor feed, I assume that you also have C-band analog capability on the dishes you're trying to find AMC21 on, and that you used one of your 4DTVs, sending the dish to G14 (G5)? If so, are you seeing the scrambled ESPN signals on ch-9 and ch14? Are you receiving Ku on other sats, because the example you gave above is C-band. If you do see Ku, do you see the Ku at the same position as the C band version of that sat?
Reason for last 2 questions is that if the feedhorn isn't at the proper focal point, then Ku will not focus at the same point that C-band does.

My posting may have been REALLY misleading as I failed to add complete information, first I said my tracking appears OK because I had a reading of 98 on AMC21 and a reading of 100 on G3, I should have also added GB at 100 also to show the tracking. Second and the biggest error is that what I posted should have been a dual LNBF which added to your misunderstanding, I’m sure. Since I’m getting the following channels which are both on G14 and AMC21 that’s why I sure of my location.

In my satellite listing I have both G14-C and AMC 21-K, So I also get them in C when I scan that satellite at the correct Freq. But also in KU and as my pictures show they are also scanned in as KU when I scan AMC21-K , but I don’t see a listing for these in any listing so far. Something is wrong and just not sure what and I've not had any other issues when I scan other satellites. Just this one.
Does other receivers list both satellites this way?

Maybe as suggested the best think is to delete the satellites and just rebuild the list.

After looking at my data on my PC I'm thinking that I've corrupted my listing with wrong transponder information for that satellite which would explain what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• P1010620.jpg
    P1010620.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 131
  • P1010621.jpg
    P1010621.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 153
  • P1010623.jpg
    P1010623.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 140
  • P1010624.jpg
    P1010624.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
OK
Your tracking is apparently good enough for you to see G14, but that doesn't mean that it's good enough to see AMC21, because you need more accuracy to tune Ku.

The channels that you think you're seeing on AMC21 are not on AMC21, they are on G14. Ie you're seeing the same C-band channels when you tune to AMC21.

For example , 5150-3720= 1430=12180-10750 . Ie you receiver is not seeing Ku band at all, it's only seeing C band.

You say that you're using an LNBF, rather than the co-rotor. So the question is, how are you telling the LNBF to switch between C and Ku? With some, you have to use an external switch, either diseqC or 22KHz. Other C/Ku LNBFs have an internal switch, which might be a diseqC or 22KHz. If it is indeed the 9750/10750 universal that you mentioned before, the universal Ku will need to use 22KHz for switching bands, so the odds are that your LNBF needs you to specify C vs Ku via ports 1 or 2 on an internal diseqC switch, OR you need to use your own external diseqC switch. So somewhere in the AMC21 satellite setup in your receiver, you need to specify either diseqC port 1 or 2, depending upon which one gives you Ku band.
Doing that should get you to Ku, but you'll still probably need to fine tune your aim to maximize the Ku signal.

OK
Your tracking is apparently good enough for you to see G14, but that doesn't mean that it's good enough to see AMC21, because you need more accuracy to tune Ku.

The channels that you think you're seeing on AMC21 are not on AMC21, they are on G14. Ie you're seeing the same C-band channels when you tune to AMC21.

For example , 5150-3720= 1430=12180-10750 . Ie you receiver is not seeing Ku band at all, it's only seeing C band.

You say that you're using an LNBF, rather than the co-rotor. So the question is, how are you telling the LNBF to switch between C and Ku? With some, you have to use an external switch, either diseqC or 22KHz. Other C/Ku LNBFs have an internal switch, which might be a diseqC or 22KHz. If it is indeed the 9750/10750 universal that you mentioned before, the universal Ku will need to use 22KHz for switching bands, so the odds are that your LNBF needs you to specify C vs Ku via ports 1 or 2 on an internal diseqC switch, OR you need to use your own external diseqC switch. So somewhere in the AMC21 satellite setup in your receiver, you need to specify either diseqC port 1 or 2, depending upon which one gives you Ku band.
Doing that should get you to Ku, but you'll still probably need to fine tune your aim to maximize the Ku signal.

After reading your posting and talking with Brian it appears that I messed up and got the wrong LNBF for getting the KU channels that I want. So I'll order some new ones for the correct frequency. All I can say is thanks for all the help. Learning something new.

DMX241 CKU LNBF This what I misunderstood and I should have checked frequency also and not been in a hurry.

Last edited:
After reading your posting and talking with Brian it appears that I messed up and got the wrong LNBF for getting the KU channels that I want. So I'll order some new ones for the correct frequency. All I can say is thanks for all the help. Learning something new.

DMX241 CKU LNBF This what I misunderstood and I should have checked frequency also and not been in a hurry.

I can see how you'd be confused by that! Having "CKU" in the name of an LNBF really makes you think it does both C and Ku, but it looks like it's only C-band.
Weird.

Well I got my new receiver in which is a Traxis DBS3800 and all the other issues that I was having are fixed. Still need to get the KU lnbf. But for the extra money this is by far a better unit, scans everything and I'm getting channels I couldn't on the GeoSat also no lock ups when scanning or editing channels. So it looks like I'll be buying more of these for my setup in the coming months.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)