Creative 942 Listing w/ Editorial

smokejoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
As posted on eBay:
You are bidding on one slightly used Dish Network Model 942 High-Definition (for now, anyway) Receiver (for now, anyway). It is as new in every respect. It still has the plastic protection over the front panel. It comes with two remotes, all cables including HDMI to DVI. It will ship in it's original box.
Following on the heels of its profoundly successful 921 receiver, Dish introduced its new, improved and ultimately doomed 942 receiver one year ago. Upon determining that it was in fact the ONLY Dish Network DVR that actually worked as described, Dish is discontinuing this receiver.
To celebrate this momentous event, I am selling this LIMITED EDITION--COLLECTOR'S SERIES 942.

In order to free up some Satellite space to provide HD Local channels to the Huddled Masses, Dish has abandoned MPEG-2 compression standards and is going with the mo'betta MPEG-4 standards as of February 1. So, this receiver is LIMITED in the respect that after February 1, 2005, you WILL NOT be able to activate this or any other MPEG-2 receiver! So, if you are the winning bidder and wait until Groundhog's Day to activate this due to some bizzare Religous Restriction or whatever... Sorry Charlie, NO REFUNDS!

Another feature of this fine receiver is that it will only receive MPEG-2 HD content - OTA HD via antenna, VOOM originals, and the original Dish HD Pack. It WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY NEW HD CONTENT offered by Dish Network. So... ESPN2HD--NOPE! FOODHD--NO WAY! FIVE MORE VOOM CHANNELS--FUGETABOUT IT!

Just think of the thrill of explaining to your wife or husband that you just spent FIVE HUNDRED BALLOONS on something that will only function as a limited HD and SD receiver! It will still function as an HD OTA receiver (on TV1 ONLY). And it will record a BUNCH of SD and whatever HD you manage to get Charlie Ergen to sell to you. If you want, I'll leave a couple of episodes of "Penguins in Peril" or "Never Seen It, Really Don't Care About It" on the machine so you can see how much entertainment you're really missing.

But never fear, you can always UPGRADE to the NEW MPEG-4 capable Dish 622 (or whatever they are calling it this week) for ONLY $299- PLUS THIS RECEIVER -$200 mail-in rebate if you wait until April Fool's Day (I'm not kidding) Did I mention that was a LEASE of the 622? So the winning bidder will not only get to line MY pockets, but Dish Network's! - that is if you want any NEW HD programming from the Dishsters.

That's why I'm offering this COLLECTOR'S SERIES receiver. Because after Dish Network's latest stunt we're heading over to Directv and this will receiver will be doing nothing but... COLLECTING DUST.
So don't buy just ANY 942, buy my LIMITED EDITION--COLLECTOR'S SERIES 942.
I'm tired of my wife making me sleep on the couch for buying this thing.

Note--All information in this ad is valid as of 0500 PST, January 12, 2005. Since we're dealing with Dish Network here, everything could change at any time, for any reason including no reason --except the bit about me sleeping on the couch which will only change if I can get some sucker to buy this thing.

Last edited:
I hope he comes over here to look at these comments.

I think he should put an impossibly high reserve (~$1000.00) on it to see if any of the ebay dealers stuck with 942's in an imploding market (or e*) try to buy his ad off! It looks like bidding is tailing off and the lot sellers have not sold many this weekend....

even so, he's still managed to get $305 for it and 2 days left to go, i see others on ebay going for nearly $450-500, so there's still some value in them. I paid $500 on ebay last year
I asked one seller if it suppoted the new Dish Channels and he said No idea, so i guess the word isnt out there yet.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do 942s rate as OTA receivers (or do they function as OTA only, like previously activated VOOM and D* boxes still do today) ??

I am almost positive that they will function as OTA boxes, but they must be able to "see" a Dish satellite (they must be hooked up to a properly aimed dish). I have not tried this myself, but have read other posts where people claim this will work. As far as the reception, I would say it is a pretty sensitive box (especially to multipath).

I see Buy it Now pricing for under $400.00. And to think I was inches from buying one three weeks ago for $699.00. Thank god I came to my senses!

The 942 was the first item that I ever leased rather than buying. So glad that I did. Truth is, I've gotten $250 worth of enjoyment out of having a DVR and I'll wait until April and plunk down another $99 to get the MPEG-4 unit. Maybe leasing ain't so bad after all!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts