Credit Check

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
Is the Dish credit check hard to pass, I have had Directv for about three years and I have never been late on my bill, do you think I will have any trouble switching to Dish, and getting approved?

birddoggy said:
call a retailer or dish and have them run the application, you have nothing to lose, and you'll find out for sure...

Yes, you do have something to lose. EVERY credit inquiry - an application for new credit - affects your credit score and usually lowers it. If you don't know your credit rating, you can get a free report once per year directly from each credit reporting agencies - Equifax, Experian & Trans Union. Less desireable, but if you're in a hurry - try one of those "free credit reports" internet promotions. You'll get your credit report, but will have to call & cancel the usually over-priced credit monitoring service they sign you up for to get your "free" credit report.

The credit inquiry required by Dish is one of my biggest gripes with them. I signed up with Dish in December 2005. I gave them a valid credit card for automatic billing & even paid the $49 activation fee to avoid the 18 month committment. Then the CSR demanded my date of birth & soc. security #. I refused. I'm not applying for credit I told her. "But we're shipping you several hundred of dollars of equipment!" she protested. "So, look" I told her. "I own the property on which you're installing the equipment - 10 acres with 2200 sq. ft. house - free & clear with no mortage. I own my 2003 SUV free & clear. I'm NOT giving you permisison to make a credit inquiry for a lousy couple of hundred bucks of satellite equipment!" After some discussion with a "supervisor" she came back with a "compromise" - if I gave my DOB and only the last 4 digits of my SS#, they would only do a "soft inquiry". Foolishly I agreed. The next month my credit monitoring service reported a new "hard" inquiry from Echostar, lowing my credit score (well over 700) by 10 points, having the same effect on my credit as if I'd applied for a $500,000 mortage or a $50,000 car loan. For a lousy E* 500 dish & 811 reciever?????? I'm still getting even with them. I enjoyed the 3 months free HBO etc. channels & then promptly cancelled it. In May, when my free HD service ends, I'm cancelling everything. With the free new customer incentives & free install & my cancelling within 6 months, I hope they lose money on me.

Someone also posted about utility bills not being reported to credit bureaus. Not true - alomost anything not paid paid can & will be reported. I once had an upaid parking ticket from a private university police agency reported on my credit. It worked - I paid it!

Last edited:
Both posts above are exactly correct!

Yes they will do credit check. There is no getting around it for Dish. DTV used to waive credit check if you prepaid or auto CC payed. I think they too are now requiring credit check. So do Cell phones, Verizon home phone service, our local Power company ect. Its the world we live in, get used to it.

Companies are tired of getting ripped off. My only gripe is if you paid for your equiptment and paid a month in advance so they could pull the plug then they should over a non credit check.

I guess they do with the new PREPAID service. Only problem is the choices are limited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)