Criminal Minds News and Links

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
‘Criminal Minds’ Planted Spinoff Set By CBS, Will Air As Episode This Season https://tv.yahoo.com/news/criminal-minds-planted-spinoff-set-020029976.html
CBS is looking to launch another spinoff from a veteran crime drama procedural next season. The network has given the go-ahead to a Criminal Minds planted spinoff, which will air as an episode of the mothership series later this season. The episode, written by Criminal Minds executive producer/showrunner Erica Messer, will film in mid-February.Like Criminal Minds, which centers on the FBI’s Analysis Unit, the spinoff will focus on a division of the FBI. It will follow FBI agents helping American citizens who find themselves in trouble abroad. Messer executive produces with Criminal Minds executive producer Mark Gordon and Nick Pepper of the Mark Gordon Co. Just like the original series, the spinoff hails from ABC Studios, where Messer is under an overall deal, CBS TV Studios and the Mark Gordon Co.

Gary Sinise to Headline CBS' Upcoming Criminal Minds Spinoff https://tv.yahoo.com/news/gary-sinise-headline-cbs-upcoming-195947626.html
One of CBS’ new Criminal Minds will be a very familiar face.TVLine has learned that Gary Sinise, who for nine seasons led CBS’ CSI: NY as Detective Mac Taylor, has been cast on the planted Criminal Minds spinoff.Specifically, Sinise will play Jack Garrett, a 20-year veteran of the FBI who heads up an elite BAU team that handles cases involving Americans abroad.The potential spinoff, penned by Criminal Minds showrunner Erica Messer, will be filmed in February as an episode of the original series to air this spring.Since wrapping his CSI: NY run, Sinise has spent the past year-and-a-half devoting his time to his Gary Sinise Foundation’s humanitarian work.

Gary Sinise To Topline ‘Criminal Minds’ Spinoff https://tv.yahoo.com/news/gary-sinise-topline-criminal-minds-200047972.html
After a short break, CSI: NY star Gary Sinise is back in CBS’ procedural fold as the lead of another spinoff drama, the network’s Criminal Minds planted offshoot.The proposed spinoff will air as an episode of the mothership series, filming in mid-February, which was written by Criminal Minds executive producer/showrunner Erica Messer.Like Criminal Minds, which centers on the FBI’s Analysis Unit, the spinoff focuses on a division of the FBI. It follows FBI agents helping American citizens who find themselves in trouble abroad. Sinise will play their boss, Jack Garrett, a 20-year veteran of the Bureau, who is currently in charge of the FBI’s top team for handling cases involving Americans abroad.Messer executive produces with Criminal Minds executive producer Mark Gordon and Nick Pepper of the Mark Gordon Co. Just like the original series, the spinoff hails from ABC Studios, where Messer is under an overall deal, CBS TV Studios and the Mark Gordon Co.Last week, CBS chairman Nina Tassler was asked about the network’s approach to the new spinoff in light of the quick demise of previous attempt Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior. “First lesson is do it better,” Tassler said. “Erica Messer has been part of Criminal Minds since Day 1. Having her, one of the best showrunners in the business, behind it, that’s the key difference between this spinoff and the first one.”Since CSI:NY ended its nine-season run in May 2013, Sinise has worked full-time at his Gary Sinise Foundation. He is repped by Brillstein Entertainment Partners and CAA.I hear CBS brass felt Sinise worked great on CSI: NY and had been looking for another vehicle for him over the past year and a half. The Criminal Minds spinoff was a project he responded to.The network has been betting on seasoned actors to lead its procedurals. Sinise is 59, Scott Bakula was the same age when he was cast last year as the lead of the NCIS planted spinoff NCIS: New Orleans. And Ted Danson was 63 when he took over the lead of veteran CSI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exclusive Criminal Minds Sneak Peek: Rossi Gets Some Terrible News https://tv.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-criminal-minds-sneak-peek-rossi-gets-terrible-185500844.html
Rossi is saying goodbye to one of his own on Criminal Minds.On Wednesday's episode, just as Rossi (Joe Mantegna) is about to unplug for a vacation with his daughter Joy (Amber Stevens), Garcia (Kirsten Vangness) comes barging in with an emergency call: His former Marine sergeant Harrison Scott (Meshach Taylor) has died. "Bone cancer," Rossi says in the exclusive sneak peek above. "He never said a word."The episode, which was directed by Mantegna, will pay tribute to Taylor -- a long-time friend of the actor's -- and had been in the works since Taylor died in June of colorectal cancer. "Joe really wanted to honor Meshach and I think we found a really great way to do that and conclude Harrison Scott's story," executive producer Erica Messer tells TVGuide.com. "It's a very moving episode."

We all know how well the last spin-off went. Downhill fast. At least with Gary Sinese in the lead, it might have a chance. Just in case, Ion is airing the Suspect Behavior spinoff on Saturday nights.

S~

Criminal Minds Video: Gary Sinise and Anna Gunn Introduce Spinoff Team https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/criminal-minds-video-gary-sinise-151947466.html
CBS’ Criminal Minds this Wednesday will introduce you to a whole new, globe-trotting BAU — and TVLine has an exclusive video previewing the planted spinoff.In the episode “Beyond Borders” (which likely would be the offshoot’s suffix), International Unit Chief Jack Garrett (played by CSI: NY vet Gary Sinise) seeks an assist from Hotch’s team when the abduction of a family in Barbados dovetails with a case the Stateside BAU once worked. Rounding out Garrett’s team are Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn (as international law expert Lily Lambert), Daniel Henney (Hawaii Five-0) as Special Ops Agent Matthew Simmons and Tyler James Williams (The Walking Dead) as tech guru Russ “Monty” Montgomery.Press play above to learn more about the potential spinoff from Sinise, Gunn, Henney and Williams, Criminal Minds showrunner Erica Messer (who penned this week’s episode), and cast from the original series.

'Criminal Minds': Did Gary Sinise and Anna Gunn Earn a Spinoff Show? https://www.yahoo.com/tv/criminal-minds-gary-sinise-anna-gunn-review-115903046275.html
This week’s Criminal Minds set up a spinoff of the series — a new drama that, if CBS decides to move forward with it, will star Gary Sinise and Breaking Bad’s Anna Gunn as new government crime-solvers, internationally-based colleagues to Joe Mantegna and Thomas Gibson’s Minds characters. The episode, titled “Beyond Borders,” involved a kidnapping case in Barbados, and so in addition to the usual BAU heroes headed up by Joe Mantegna’s Rossi, we were introduced to their international-law counterparts: International Unit Chief Jack Garrett (Sinise) and international-law expert Lilly Lambert (Gunn), along with Special Ops Agent Matt Simmons (Daniel Henney) and tech expert Russ “Monty” Montgomery (Tyler James Williams, freshly chewed up and spat out of The Walking Dead). The villain was a former abused child who, now an adult, kidnaps families, re-stages some dreadful scenes from his childhood, then tortures and kills his captives. Sinise, Gunn, and the others did a fine job delivering the awful dialogue that typifies your average Criminal Minds episode. As always, the investigators stand around and nod gravely at each other as one tells the other elementary psychological principles they already know. “He gets off on controlling their lives until the very end,” said Gunn. Shemar Moore nodded. “He’s asserting himself as the first-born child who has the most rage at his father,” said Sinise. Mantegna nodded. It had been a while since I watched a Criminal Minds but two things became clear: It’s the same thing week-in, week-out, only the locales and the guest stars shift (this week, the latter included Tom Everett Scott as the captive dad). And the hour is invariably very unpleasant, including plenty of scenes of children undergoing pain and terror. As long as Sinise and Gunn know what they’ve signed on for — the kind of soul-scrubbing repetition that sent Mandy Patinkin screaming into the night some years ago — I see no reason why Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders shouldn’t get picked up by CBS and turned into a lucrative entry in the soft-core torture drama that’s put Criminal Minds into a tenth season. Criminal Minds airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on CBS.

Matthew Gray Gubler Tried The Cinnamon Challenge And You Won't Believe What Happened https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/matthew-gray-gubler-tried-cinnamon-212820707.html
This article, Matthew Gray Gubler Tried The Cinnamon Challenge And You Won't Believe What Happened, originally appeared on CBS.com.Criminal Minds fans' favorite genius Matthew Gray Gubler took on the notorious Cinnamon Challenge. The viral internet challenge involves filming oneself swallowing a spoonful of ground cinnamon in under 60 seconds —without drinking anything. (Note: We do not recommend attempting this yourself! The Cinnamon Challenge is not only difficult, it carries substantial health risks.)Gubler documented this feat while jokingly claiming to have been training "11 years in India with a cinnamon guru." In fact, he was willing to bet any of his friends a nice sum of $100 that he could consume the cinnamon.

Paget Brewster on Criminal Minds Return: I Really Wanted To, But.... https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/paget-brewster-criminal-minds-return-190133824.html
Criminal Minds fans who are disappointed to not see Emily Prentiss return to fill one of the BAU’s vacancies can blame John Stamos’ surprise brush with grandfatherhood.Appearing Thursday at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills, where she was promoting the new Fox comedy Grandfathered, Paget Brewster revealed that she was interested in putting in another Criminal Minds encore, but scheduling conflicts proved insurmountable.“I was hoping to jump in and do a couple [of Criminal Minds episodes], because my friend A.J. Cook, who plays JJ, is [finishing maternity leave],” Brewster shared. “But it didn’t work out, time-wise,” due to her commitment to Grandfathered (where she plays Stamos’ baby momma and thus a grandmother).

Criminal Minds first look: Aisha Tyler joins the BAU http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/20/criminal-minds-aisha-tyler-season-11-photo
The BAU will welcome a new addition when Criminal Minds returns this fall — and EW has the exclusive first look.In the wake of Jennifer Love Hewitt’s departure, Archer actress and current The Talk co-host joins the drama as Dr. Tara Lewis, a forensic psychologist who introduces an entirely new element to the long-running show. “The people in the BAU are analyzing these unknown subjects trying to catch them, but my character analyzes them after they’ve been caught to make sure they’re competent to stand trial,” Tyler teases.“Every time we introduce a new team member, we want to make sure that they’re worthy of being a part of this elite criminal unit,” executive producer Erica Messer says. “She brings a different skill set than anyone else we’ve had. Once we’ve done our job and the bad guy is put away, she’s seeing what makes them tick once they aren’t hiding and running anymore. It’s really a cool sandwich to what our team does. It’s been a fun skill set to bring to the team, and one that we never thought we needed, but now that we have it, we love it.”

Criminal Minds Season 11 Promo Teases 'Twisted' Premiere, New BAU Member https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/criminal-minds-season-11-promo-140036112.html
It’s B.A.U. at the BAU — and then it isn’t — when CBS’ Criminal Minds opens Season 11, as seen in this first new promo.In the season opener (airing Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 9/8c), Hotch & Co, as they do, tackle a “twisted” and “bizarre” case. “This UnSub does some, obviously, weird stuff to his victims, which includes painting their faces,” showrunner Erica Messer told me. “And then we learn why he’s doing it, because he himself has a really hard-to-look-at face.”The season-opening wrinkle, meanwhile, involves the hiring of a psychologist, Dr. Tara Lewis (new recurring player Aisha Tyler), to help fill the void while JJ/cast member A.J. Cook wraps up maternity leave. The shrink explains her reason for coming to the BAU side of things in the promo above.

Criminal Minds Video: Aisha Tyler Talks Pulling Double Duty, Explains New Look http://tvline.com/2015/09/28/criminal-minds-season-11-video-aisha-tyler-the-talk/
CBS’ Criminal Minds is about to recruit a new team member — and she is one very busy woman, as seen in this exclusive “day in the life of Aisha Tyler” featurette.In the crime drama’s Season 11 premiere (airing Wednesday at 9/8c), Tyler debuts in the recurring role of Dr. Tara Lewis, a forensic psychologist hired by Hotch to help out while JJ (like her portrayer A.J. Cook) is wrapping up maternity leave.But before hitting the Criminal Minds set, Tyler is taping one (and sometimes two) episodes of CBS’ daytime chatfest The Talk. Plus, her lush locks are MIA by the time she hangs with Hotch & Co.

Exclusive Criminal Minds First Look: Introducing JJ's New Baby!https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/exclusive-criminal-minds-first-look-introducing-jjs-baby-161300683.html
The BAU's newest member is pretty adorable.JJ will only make a cameo in the Season 11 premiere of Criminal Minds, as A.J. Cook is on maternity leave, but she brought along a very special guest: her new baby boy!"You'll get to meet A.J.'s real little baby, Phoenix. Like what she did with Mekhai [playing JJ's first son Henry], she's having her actual child play JJ's child," executive producer Erica Messer tells TVGuide.com. "His name is Michael. Henry and Michael. Her whole family will be TV stars."No word yet if Reid (Matthew Gray Gubler) will also be Michael's godfather, but in the meantime, check out these exclusive (and super cute!) sneak peeks of mother and child below.Cook, who welcomed Phoenix in July with her husband Nathan Andersen, will return in the seventh episode. Season 11 of Criminal Minds premieres Wednesday at 9/8c on CBS.

Criminal Minds: Aisha Tyler's Character Might Be Around More Than We Thought http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...-Might-Around-More-Than-We-Thought-89527.html
Last night, Criminal Minds kicked off its eleventh season with an episode that followed the team during a time when they were short-staffed. Luckily, the staffing problems didn’t last long. Partway through the premiere episode, we were introduced to Dr. Tara Lewis (Aisha Tyler), a hard worker and profiler looking to get into the field. The character is only signed on through A.J. Cook’s pregnancy leave, but showrunner Erica Messer says they would love to sign on the actress for a whole lot more. For those six episodes that A.J. is gone and JJ is on maternity leave, Aisha will be our female in the fold with the team and helping them solve the cases. We love her so much that we’re hoping to extend her stay with us. The deal is not totally done yet so I can’t really talk about it but we are hoping to have her in quite a few more episodes this season, not just the initial six.Messer related the possible plan to have Tyler on for longer with THR, and personally, I find this idea to be awesome. Tyler is great whether she is doing comedy or drama, and it would be nice to get another long-term female on the show. Penelope and JJ are both awesome, of course, but with Jennifer Love Hewitt quitting at the end of last season, the women are largely outnumbered by the men on the show at this point. Plus, Penelope only very rarely actually makes it out into the field. So, we’d love to see Dr. Tara Lewis hone her skills as a profiler and professional bad guy catcher.

Why Paget Brewster Actually Left Criminal Minds http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Why-Paget-Brewster-Actually-Left-Criminal-Minds-89457.html
If you’ve been a fan of Criminal Minds for all of its lengthy run, you are probably already aware of the drama that went down on the show several seasons ago. A few years ago, veteran actress Paget Brewster’s role was reduced and A.J. Cook was displaced on a whim by CBS. They then returned to the show on another whim by CBS. It was a rough time for Brewster, especially, who ended up leaving the show after her contract played out. In a recent interview, Brewster had some pretty sharp things to say about CBS, calling the network “scummy.”So now A.J.’s gone, I’m training Rachel Nichols to replace me and A.J., I died, and then I shot a pilot that didn’t go… and then it was announced that I was returning to Criminal Minds! And I called my agents, and I said, ‘I’m not! What do they mean I’m returning to Criminal Minds?’ And they said, ‘Well, they added another year to your contract for you to get those 17 episodes.’ And I couldn’t understand that. So I was forced to go back or... terrifying things were inferred. And I was kind of pissed, but then I went back and thought, ‘I love everyone there!’ I hated CBS. [What they did] was just scummy.While A.J. Cook ended up getting over the call by CBS and sticking with the show, I don’t know that I totally blame Brewster for feeling the way she does (a feeling that led to her leaving the show). At the time, reports indicated that CBS just felt they would be saving money by displacing just the girls on the show. This makes it seem as if the network thought the men were far more valuable to the franchise than the ladies on the show. That can’t feel good. Of course, Brewster is quick to let people know that her problem is with CBS and not the Criminal Minds family, who always treated her well. In an interview with Will Harris from the AV Club, the actress says the creative team was really understanding about her decision to quit and even wrote her character, Emily Prentiss, out in a way that felt real.

Criminal Minds Fall Finale Sneak Peek: What Has Garcia All Squicked Out? https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/criminal-minds-fall-finale-sneak-140007199.html
Penelope Garcia has surely heard it all over the years, but in this exclusive sneak peek from CBS’ Criminal Minds (airing tonight at 9/8c), she’s got her finger hovering over the mute button.In the midseason finale, titled “Future Perfect,” Hotch & Co. are in flight discussing the gnarly particulars of their new case’s crime scenes/corpses when Garcia chimes in from the laptop to register her discomfort. What’s “bugging” her?

Criminal Minds: Marisol Nichols Set to Return — Get Details http://tvline.com/2016/01/05/criminal-minds-season-11-marisol-nichols-returns/
Criminal Minds‘ BAU team is due to get another assist from FBI Agent Natalie Colfax.TVLine has confirmed that 24 and NCIS alum Marisol Nichols will reprise her role as the G-woman in Season 11’s 15th episode, having first played the character in October. The actress first shared the news Tuesday morning on Twitter.The set-up for Nichols’ encore: When women are found dead inside their own homes throughout Los Angeles, the BAU suspects a person gaining each victim’s trust to be the UnSub. L.A.-based Agent Colfax thus helps the team with their investigation.

Criminal Minds: All About Reid's "Badass" Return to Take Down the Dirty Dozen http://www.tvguide.com/news/crimina...=breakingnews&partnerid=yahoo&FTAG=YHF09b6e7d
Criminal Minds is back Wednesday -- and so is Reid (Matthew Gray Gubler)."Even my mom texted me, "'Where's Matthew?!'" executive producer Erica Messer tells TVGuide.com of Reid's three-episode absence. "It was very funny. There are contractual things that happen that we don't control as storytellers. By the 11th season of a series, actors make their own contracts and deals, and we're left creatively to make sense of why a character is missing for a few episodes. ... I was like, 'Don't worry! He'll be back soon and there'll be lots of him!'"
Winter preview: Scoop on your favorite returning showsReid fans will be happy to know that he is back in a very big and pivotal way after tending to his schizophrenic mother Diana. In the last episode before the show's winter hiatus, Hotch (Thomas Gibson) told Garcia (Kirsten Vangness) he found a breakthrough in the case to take down the Dirty Dozen hitmen ring that's after her. That manifests in an elaborate ruse on Wednesday's bottle episode-like hour (9/8c, CBS) involving Reid and his date Cat Adams (guest star Aubrey Plaza), who spices things up with a cat-and-mouse (no pun intended) interrogation by holding him hostage at gunpoint in a restaurant.

Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders Isn't Out to Scare You From Traveling Again https://www.yahoo.com/tv/criminal-minds-beyond-borders-isnt-201802702.html
Premiering Wednesday, March 16, at 10/9c, Beyond Borders stars Gary Sinise (CSI: NY) as Jack Garrett, head of the FBI’s International Response Unit, a specialized division that solves crimes perpetrated against U.S. citizens abroad. Alana De La Garza (Forever), Daniel Henney ( HAWAIIFive-0), Tyler James Williams (The Walking Dead) and Annie Funke round out the team.“Crime can happen anywhere, criminals are everywhere,” executive producer Erica Messer noted Tuesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena. “[This show] might make you think twice in the way that you travel, but we certainly don’t want to scare anyone away from going anywhere in the world, because it is still a beautiful place out there.”

Criminal Minds Casts Danny Glover in 'Interesting' Role, as Derek's https://www.yahoo.com/tv/criminal-minds-casts-danny-glover-205202622.html
Four-time Emmy nominee Danny Glover is heading to CBS’ Criminal Minds, in a key role in a pivotal episode.TVLine has learned exclusively that Glover will guest-star in this season’s 16th episode, titled “Derek,” as father to Shemar Moore’s character.Of course, Derek Morgan’s dad is long-established as being dead. So…. Hmm.“It’s an interesting role that he plays,” showrunner Erica Messer shares with TVLine. “The reason Derek needs to call on this protector in this moment and work through some things is really beautifully written by Breen Frazier, and directed by [cast member] Thomas Gibson.

Why Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders Won't Be Another Suspect Behavior http://www.tvguide.com/news/criminal-minds-beyond-borders-cbs/?rss=keywords
The second time might be the charm for Criminal Minds.The long-running procedural will launch its second spin-off, Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders, in March, five years after the blink-and-you-missed-it run of Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior. The latter starred Forest Whitaker and focused on a domestic team of rogue, rule-bending, leather-clad FBI agents, which executive producer Mark Gordon admits was a misstep."I think that it's always tricky when you have a show that is franchise-able," Gordon said Tuesday at the Television Critics Association winter previews. "We were obviously very excited about that idea when we created Suspect Behavior to take advantage of it. ...Quite honestly, one of the things that did not help us with the audience with Suspect Behavior [was] we were trying too hard to be different. When you are creating a spin-off, you want something fresh and different, but at the same time, you want to honor the show that you're spinning off from. I think that sometimes the desire to, frankly, create more is not always the best way to create a great show. It took many years between Suspect Behavior and Beyond Borders, and I think the reason it took that time was that we wanted to find something that was really organic, that felt like it was not just taking an opportunity."

Insider Facts from Criminal Minds, 'Entropy' http://www.cbs.com/shows/criminal_m...from-criminal-minds-entropy-/?ftag=YHFd67dee4
In this highly-anticipated episode, Reid went undercover to expose ONE of the members of the "Dirty Dozen." Famed actress Aubrey Plaza guest-starred as Cat Adams in the heart-pumping episode.Talk about a bad DATE! In an elaborate game of cat-and-mouse, the team realized that this takedown would not be as simple as it seemed.