cs 8000hd software question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
dang STO SD is very strong. I can get a 75 quality on the Pansat with the 4 foot dish :)

Even when I am peaked on 118.7 I get STO at a decent signal :)

STO HD is a different story but that signal on the 6 foot dish is pretty good IIRC...60-65 quality (30 threshold)

I don't think this is related to this thread, but that STO-HD channel is interesting for another reason, particularly if you select between powered LNBs via a 22KHz switch or something like that. One time it had me really confused.
I was using TSREADER on one of my PCI cards, and was using a 22KHz switch to select between C-band and Ku band. I had my Ku dish aimed at AMC-21 for PBS, and had the C-band dish aimed at G23.
I can't remember off hand whether I was trying to tune in the 12150 PBS HD channel or tune in STO, however I ended up getting the wrong one, ie say I tuned in PBS, instead of PBS STO came in! Or tune to STO, I'd get PBS.
This had me a bit confused, until I realized that the IF freqs AND the SR values for those two transponders are exactly the same, so if I had the 22KHz port values reversed, I'd get the opposite of what I thought I'd get.
However, this DOES mean that if you're switching between LNBs, one of which happens to be tuned to the horizontal side of AMC21, there could be significant interferrence with the STO signal, since generally these switches have pretty poor isolation.

Another issue with STO HD, that Iceberg pointed out to me when I was tuning my 4 footer, is that it's skew appears to be different . Rotating the lnbf about 20 degrees in the holder brings in the STO HD signal to a useable level, while still maintaining the STO SD, albeit at a lower, but useable level. Interesting that in baseball season, I optimize my lnbf skew on STO HD , while the rest of the year, I set it normally at zero , on my motorized mini-BUD.
:)

That's a ton of Quality. The best I can get on my 4 footer is about Q=17, and that's enough for good audio and video. Perhaps manually delete the channel and transponder, then do a power cycle on the box, re-enter the tp in the menu, 3750 V 14029, and do a manual scan without PID entry.

??)

Another issue with STO HD, that Iceberg pointed out to me when I was tuning my 4 footer, is that it's skew appears to be different . Rotating the lnbf about 20 degrees in the holder brings in the STO HD signal to a useable level, while still maintaining the STO SD, albeit at a lower, but useable level. Interesting that in baseball season, I optimize my lnbf skew on STO HD , while the rest of the year, I set it normally at zero , on my motorized mini-BUD.

I must admit that I didn't believe this when I read it. However I did some experiments running spectrum scans, and it sure looks to me like there is something messed up about the polarity of this sat. It doesn't looke so much that the polarity is offset, however it DOES seem like there just isn't the separation in polarity that you see with most sats. I'm able to see the SD-STO signal no matter what polarity I adjust to, yes, it changes in level, but it never goes away. with just about any other sat, I'd be able to pretty much tune out a signal by adjusting polarity. Same is true for the HD signal, it goes up and down in level with skew changes, but never seems to go away.

I thought that perhaps I was getting signal from adjacent sats, but moved over to AF3 and G 18, and couldn't see the signals on either.

It's possible that when aimed at G23 that somehow I'm getting reflections off one of my metal roofs or off the metal power transformer that is nearby, and that is somehow messing up my polarity separation, or perhaps I got something inside my feedhorn that's messing things up, but I'm sure not seeing the separation I'm used to seeing.

I don't what it is , BJ, only that by skewing my lnbf differently, I can pull in STO HD acceptably, and still have a strong STO SD. I don't see anything on the adjacent 123W that could cause a problem. It's an enigma to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)