CS8000 woes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Great... :(
I am watching PBS HD and really enjoying "Chess, In Concert". I ain't into musicals but with my HD tv and CS8000 on the screen is brilliant!!! :D
For the last hour and half, my CS8000 is cutting off, rebooting, then picture comes in, play for a coupla minutes, then start doing it again... :eek:
I hope the damn thing ain't going out.
Anyone had this happen before?

is there enough room for air to get in? I know those receivers can get warm and will reboot if they get too warm

BTW, I ain't done anything as far as tying in another motorized dish as I mentioned in my earlier thread. I spent all afternoon tuning in a C band lnb and Primestar 84e dish using my Traxis 3500 receiver. So far, so good.
So that had nothing to do with my CS8000 woes. I am planning to run both motorized dishes but now I don't know...

Iceberg it is getting enough air. I am fixing to unplug it and let it reboot again. I hope this helps. I have been watching the CS8000 with no problems...

Wow...
That box is hot to the touch!!!!
I cut it off from the back switch and will wait until it cools down.
What do I need to do to keep this box cool?
I got several PC fans laying around. Can I install one into the CS8000?

Wow...
That box is hot to the touch!!!!
I cut it off from the back switch and will wait until it cools down.
What do I need to do to keep this box cool?
I got several PC fans laying around. Can I install one into the CS8000?

the one I bought recently has an internal fan. Not sure if it comes that way from factory or the guy who I bought it from did the damage.

Fan kinda loud but runs good for me.

I moved the CS8000 to a area with more air circulation. It is running ok now since it has cooled down. I will take the cover off tomorrow and see if it has a slot for a internal fan. I got a few of them from old computers I junked out. Hope this helps.
Thanks Pro!
Now to watch the rest of "Chess"...

Strange...
It went hot again and started going out. So I turn it off and took the cover off. I searched the motherboard and power supply board for a fan slot. Nothing. I noticed that the CS really cooled down quick. I turn it back on and allow it to come up and watch more tv. The unit was a little warm. After several minutes I decided to put the cover back on, while the unit is still on.
Before taking cover off, I noticed the ribbon cable from the power supply to the motherboard was resting on the cover. While I was easing the cover back on, sparks came from the power supply side.
I thought "Oh s***!" when the unit completely went out!!! I thought I done short it out and bye-bye box>
I took the cover back off, pushed the ribbon cable down where it wouldn't rest on the cover,
put the cover back on, and pushed the power button.
It booted up, and went back to work! It has been over 45 minutes now and it hasn't shut down yet!
The box is warm but not hot.
So I got my fingers crossed.

I wonder if I can buy a motherboard for the CS8000? It ain't much to it. I built several computers in the past. I feel like I can easily put another motherboard or power supply board into this case. Maybe I might luck up on a motherboard for the CS8100!
Tomorrow I am going to email Coolsat company and ask about their motherboards and power supply boards.

The 8100 comes with a fan, and the 8100 uses the same circuit board as the 8000 (says 8000 on it), so there is a power plug for a fan (or at least contacts where a plug could be attached).
The power plug is front right when you're facing the front, I think about 1/3 of the way across. I have a picture of it that I posted to another forum a while back. I'll look for it.
The fan, however is a very small one, about the size of a silver dollar. Not sure if the power is enough to run a big computer fan, but it can't hurt to try. My first 8100 had a very noisy fan, but it ran perfectly. My second one, you could hardly hear the fan (may not have been running at first), and it overheated and got hot to the touch, and it was rebooting every half hour on the half hour.... either rebooting or freezing up, which you first notice by no volume, then you get about two keys with the remote before the box freezes. I finally put the fan from my first 8100 (which got hit by lightning) into the 2nd 8100, and it has been fairly stable since.

EDIT: found a (not the best) picture. See fan glued to the case up front right.

Attachments

• 8100top.jpg
    8100top.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
yeah the 8000 does get warm but I know recently as of 2 weeks ago I would run the receiver for 8 hours at a time (was recording some programming) and it didnt reboot

Have to try this weekend to see...mine sits on top of the entertainment center for the reason of getting too warm

B.J., I appreciate the picture of the motherboard. I will look at mine sometime today.
Iceberg, the crazy thing didn't get hot anymore for nearly an hour, before I went to bed.
When I touched my box last night to flip the power switch, that box was so hot it was like touching a hot car in the middle of a summer day! When I removed the cover, it start to cool down really quicky. I wonder if the ribbon cable may be shortin out on the cover? I pressed the cable down to keep it from touching the cover.
The sparking I saw last night while putting the cover back on prompted me to push the cable down. It may not be the reason for the heating, I really don't know. I will study that cable to see if it may have a bare place on it. Hope not.
There wasn't any dust on the inside but I did notice there is a screw missing that hold the power supply board to the chassic. Make me wonder if someone worked on this box before.
Thank you guys for your responses. I sure don't want to lose this baby!

B.J., I appreciate the picture of the motherboard. I will look at mine sometime today.
Iceberg, the crazy thing didn't get hot anymore for nearly an hour, before I went to bed.
When I touched my box last night to flip the power switch, that box was so hot it was like touching a hot car in the middle of a summer day! When I removed the cover, it start to cool down really quicky. I wonder if the ribbon cable may be shortin out on the cover? I pressed the cable down to keep it from touching the cover.
The sparking I saw last night while putting the cover back on prompted me to push the cable down. It may not be the reason for the heating, I really don't know. I will study that cable to see if it may have a bare place on it. Hope not.
There wasn't any dust on the inside but I did notice there is a screw missing that hold the power supply board to the chassic. Make me wonder if someone worked on this box before.
Thank you guys for your responses. I sure don't want to lose this baby!

I will take a picture of mine today that shows the internal fan for ya. That will be later today after work of course.

Came across this while researching on web about CS overheating:
"I temporary added a heat-sink from my old computer from the processor to the existing one on my cs 8000 chip. i did stick it upside down fin to fin so i wont have any scratch on the cs one( in case i have to return it as it is still under warranty) So far so good."
I did notice how small the one on the motherboard is in my box.
I got plenty of them around here too! I will find one and see what happens.
Let yall know how that go...

OK as promised, pictures of my Coolsat 8000 with internal fan.

Attachments

• DSC00815.JPG
    DSC00815.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC00816.JPG
    DSC00816.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC00817.JPG
    DSC00817.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 192
very nice pics :)

I should put one in mine....heck there is enough room to put the guts for ANOTHER receiver in there :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts