CS8000 woes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just a update on my CS8000 mod.
The receiver is still running great! Not one time it overheated. Thanks again to you guys who helped me! :angel:

Come back to work soon? Hell, this is VACATION for me, Dishdigger! LOL
Thanks for the offer. At this point the CS is running great and cooler. How are you coming along with your new system?

I readjusted the system today, the windstorm yesterday forced the dish to spin slightly :rant:(I was expecting it) and I had to realign it. Like the dummy I am, I put off marking the position and it cost a little time & trouble, but was worth it as I carefully tweaked the system and greatly improved the reception strength (Q) :). I plan to start a thread on that, but not up to it this evening, it's late, I'm tired, and tomorrow is another Monday in Paradise..........:sob:

Keep improving, but don't PUSH it -- Glad to hear the CS is doing you proud now.

Bill

Great DishDigger! Boy we did have some wind!!!
Are you tracking the arc ok?
I got to come by your house soon to see your setup in person.

Here's my contribution, a quick 12V case cooler , permanently external powered .
I was having lots of problems ( the cat was sleeping on top of the box), the lnbf voltage was disappearing altogether, etc. Not a problem since the fan was put on top, the case is actually mighty cool to the touch. It's a 12V , 1.6W fan, usually used in PC Cases.
Not at all elegant, but it works very well and moves more air than would be technically necessary. :)

Attachments

• Coolsat-Fan.jpg
    Coolsat-Fan.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 146
Another great idea! Thanks Brent!
My receiver is still doing great with what I did. Sometimes when I turn on my CS8000 receiver, I have to reset the receiver because the channel(s) would not come on. No quality strength. After reset, I will be ok. I don't know why it does that. Maybe one of you guys can tell me.
The HD channels (Fashion TV, the PBS channels, etc...) really comes in great on my HD tv!
Since your cat was sleeping on your receiver it may be a good idea to take the cover off and blow the board to clear whatever cat hair and dust that may have built up.
When I took a look at my 920 4DTV receiver interior a fews months ago, I was shocked at how much dust and fuzz was on its pc board! I blowed the entire board off with a air hose. I probably prevented a fire or receiver shorting out.

I s the fan on all the time? I've recently gotten one (8100) used and it started the powering off. So after reading this a bit I opened the case and plugged it and fan isn't running.

This fan runs all the time. I expect it will run for a couple years before needing replacement, we'll just have to wait and see. I have several other fans, so that won't be a problem. A 5 volt relay to bring the 12V fan on whenever the receiver is powered would be a nice touch, but it's another point of failure, too.
:)

I s the fan on all the time? I've recently gotten one (8100) used and it started the powering off. So after reading this a bit I opened the case and plugged it and fan isn't running.

Yes, it runs all the time. The installation of a fan isn't hard at all. Look at the earlier responses of this thread to see how other guys did their work. You can buy the fans at Radio Shack or any computer store. If you have any old computers laying around, get one out of them.
That fan Brent installed really ought to keep his cool! :)
Seems like the CS8000 and CS8100 receivers are notorious for the heat issue.
Good luck! :)

I wonder why the fan on Whatchel's receiver not running? Could it be the previous owner didn't install it correctly, or has the fan phased out?
Whatchel, take the cover off your CS8100 off and see where the lead wires go and compare them to the photos of the posts of this thread.
If you're icky about fooling with the receiver's innyrds, maybe someone you know that has a electronic hobby can fix that problem for you.
Keep us posted!

This fan runs all the time. I expect it will run for a couple years before needing replacement, we'll just have to wait and see. I have several other fans, so that won't be a problem. A 5 volt relay to bring the 12V fan on whenever the receiver is powered would be a nice touch, but it's another point of failure, too.
:)

I, too, wish there is a way for the fan to cut off when the receiver is not in use. Every time I come into my living room I will here it running. I worry about it phasing out especially it being a fan from a older computer. Maybe it is for the best to leave it that way.
Anybody found a way to fix that part?

Circuit board

I wonder why the fan on Whatchel's receiver not running? Could it be the previous owner didn't install it correctly, or has the fan phased out?
Whatchel, take the cover off your CS8100 off and see where the lead wires go and compare them to the photos of the posts of this thread.
If you're icky about fooling with the receiver's innyrds, maybe someone you know that has a electronic hobby can fix that problem for you.
Keep us posted!

The fan is connected to a pc connector built on to the circuit board. It isn't spliced into the ribbon cable. It is like the one on post 10.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts