CSN MA Alternate on Directv, Also Credit Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
I've been sort of browsing Directv's website, as I'm considering switching from Dish when my contract expires around the New Year. I could really use to save money with a new customer promo, and I'm somewhat dissatisfied with Dish. They stuck me with an install fee a year and a half ago and wouldn't give me HD unless I outright bought equipment, which I wouldn't do (So I pay the same monthly fee as people with free HD for life, but don't get the HD). Within two months of signing up, they raised rates on me, even though the advertising led me to believe my first year price was locked in. They also "tier up" certain channels like MSNBC and NBCSN to bleed extra money out of subs.

One of the things I noticed browsing Directv's website is that when my local RSNs are listed, they show MASN and Comcast Sportsnet Mid-Atlantic on most packages in the chart, but list Comcast Mid-Atlantic "Alternate" (Actually formally named CSN Plus) as available only in the premiere package on the chart. Can that be right? It's just a part time channel that shows overflow Capitals and Wizards games, when the other team is on the main channel and both are playing at once, not even a full time station. I live in southern Pennsylvania, at the edge of these teams' territories, so that could be why (Cable refuses to carry CSN+, but Dish Network does carry it). Does anyone know for sure whether I would or would get the CSN+ Plus games with a lower tier Directv package that included the main CSN? I think not getting it would be a deal breaker, since having access to Caps games is important to me.

The other thing is- how does Directv handle people with bad or unestablished credit? Dish just wanted straight payment for things you'd never get back. Do you have to pay Directv upfront for anything in that sort of situation? If so, how much? And is it a deposit you get back or just a fee that is gone forever? A big upfront fee, especially a non-refundable one, might force me to stick with Dish or consider going back to cable when decision time comes.

Just sort of scoping out the landscape of what's out there a little bit. Decision time is still like 7-8 months away. Never to early to learn new things, though. I also theoretically could ditch Dish a month or two early and pay a small EFT, though I am sort of constitutionally reluctant to ever pay anyone anything for not using their service.

Last edited:
If you get a certain rsn, you would get the + version of it, too. The exception would be if the team on the + channel isn't in your territory, or is only included on a higher price package, you wouldn't get them.

The other thing is- how does Directv handle people with bad or unestablished credit?
Under the current promotion, they will ding you $300 (up front) to bypass the credit check. The offer will change between now and then but this credit bypass may represent a new train of thought at DIRECTV who has typically been quite vocal about the "quality" of their customers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)