CSPAN-2 NOW...talking about digital OTA timetable...west coast timezone.

Interesting, listening to the sen. from nevada. Talking about how the analoge spectrum being worth at auction 10-25 billion$. And how the sooner we convert to digital the sooner they can generate those dollars to use for specific funds, one being (it sounds like anyway) governement subsidy of set top boxes (ATSC tuners) for low income families to help smooth the transition.
Also spoke of banning imports of analoge tv sets...well duh.

I watched one of those sessions, and it seemed to be full of circular logic. One group would say they were waiting for another group to do something, and then group two would tell group one that they'd be happy to, if only group three would agree to the demands of group two.

I hope the Senators are able to sit them all down and hammer out some kind of deal, because nothing is going to happen if it's left up to private industry. (Although I do admit the government has its share of the blame as well. A hard deadline is a lot easier to deal with than a "soft" one, like the 85% standard.)

One question I've had is this:
Why doesn't the government mandate that all the TV sets with built in DTV OTA 8VSB must also have a Digital Cable Ready tuner? That would help cable companies move to digital systems faster, so that they will not have the "burden" of multicast mustcarry for as long of a time.

Instead, I see that most DTV sets do have OTA tuners, but relatively few (and only the expensive ones at that) tend to have DCR tuners.

I also want to know what happened to the "buy your own cable box" regulation that was supposed to be implemented long ago. Where is the hard deadline on that? I can't wait to have a choice of cable box that I could buy and own and take with me if I move. I'm tired of leasing tired old hardware from a copper wireline company. We did away with that for voice services about 20 years ago now. Why is video so different?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)