CSR Indicates that 61.5 is NOT VOOM SAT !

arty100

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Wisconsin
I have just had my install of a 2nd Dish postponed for one week due
to the statement that "the 61.5 path would be wrong" by a CSR.

I called to take advange of the special offer to VOOM CHANNELS and
that started this process.

It appears that I will still need a 2nd Dish but not aimed at 61.5.

???

arty100 said:

???

The CSR is wrong...wrong...wrong. Call back until you find one that knows what they are talking about (Welcome to CSR Roulette :( ).The VOOM channels are at 61.5. Get your second dish and don't listen to them.

NightRyder

PLEASE CHECK THE VOOM FORUM.

There is more talk of this over there.

(It appears that the VOOM programming will be mirrored or moved to
another path. Although It IS on 61.5 NOW.)

61.5 is the magic place to be for voom i agree with night ryder welcome to CSR roulette hang up and try agian might take a few trys to get CSR that know more then the script in front of him/her

arty100 said:
PLEASE CHECK THE VOOM FORUM.

There is more talk of this over there.

(It appears that the VOOM programming will be mirrored or moved to
another path. Although It IS on 61.5 NOW.)

arty100: I can understand your confusion coupled with the stupid CSR info. Let me see if I can clarify.

1. The VOOM channels are currently being broadcast from the Rainbow 1 (VOOM) satellite at 61.5. Dish is in the process of buying the satellite but it is awaiting FCC approval. Dish has worked out some sort of deal with Rainbow Media (VOOM) to use the satellite prior to FCC approval.

2. If Dish receives FCC approval they have proposed moving Rainbow 1 to their 110 W location. Dish has another satellite, Echostar IV, that they want to move to the 61.5 location. Irregardless of all this satellite chess, the VOOM programming will stay at 61.5.

3. Part of the country, especially the West, has a hard time seeing the 61.5 location. It is our hope that Dish will mirror the VOOM programming at their 148 W location to solve this problem. Even if they do mirror the VOOM programming it will still be available at 61.5.

I hope this makes some kind of sense.

NightRyder

You lost me at 'irregardless'. :p

Good explanation though, but I'm still wondering, wasn't it E* IV that suffered almost too many failures, and has since been pretty idle at 157 as a result?

please tell me what I am watching then?

Those are Voom channels coming through on my dish receiver at 61.5

TuxCoder said:
You lost me at 'irregardless'. :p

Good explanation though, but I'm still wondering, wasn't it E* IV that suffered almost too many failures, and has since been pretty idle at 157 as a result?

Yep, it's the one they're getting the $250M settlement for. They did manage to get the stuck solar panel to deploy, but last I heard it still had only 4 or 5 usable transponders. Maybe after the settlement is final it will have some sort of miraculous recovery. ;)

NightRyder

In other words NR, it would be in my best interest, if I want these channels down the line, to put up a second dish pointed at 61.5. I live in Georgia.

bryan92 said:
In other words NR, it would be in my best interest, if I want these channels down the line, to put up a second dish pointed at 61.5. I live in Georgia.

If you can get a 61.5 dish installed for free, it's a no-brainier. If there is something else at 61.5 like, International, CBS-HD etc. that you want right now then it also makes sense. If your looking at 6 months to a year or more I would wait. Dish likely will centralize HD at some point, probably with the roll-out of MPEG 4, I see it being a slow transition and the current HD should remain in place for quite some time. IMHO

NightRyder

NightRyder:

I doubt E* will move Rainbow-1 to 110 - unless E-10 crashes.

Think about it - there IS a limit to the number of spotbeams you can have at a single slot.

To say nothing of whether R-1 can be as efficient at a mid-CONUS slot - antenna design ya know. It may or may not be a factor, but seems likely.

Whatever. I just told them to install the 61.5. They said give me $100. I said that I have a club dish discount. They said then give $50. So much BS too little time.

SimpleSimon said:
NightRyder:

I doubt E* will move Rainbow-1 to 110 - unless E-10 crashes.

Think about it - there IS a limit to the number of spotbeams you can have at a single slot.

To say nothing of whether R-1 can be as efficient at a mid-CONUS slot - antenna design ya know. It may or may not be a factor, but seems likely.

SS: Didn't make a lot of sense to me either, but that was the reported buzz at Team Summit, so until I hear otherwise I'll assume that's what they plan to do.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
If you can get a 61.5 dish installed for free, it's a no-brainier. If there is something else at 61.5 like, International, CBS-HD etc. that you want right now then it also makes sense. If your looking at 6 months to a year or more I would wait. Dish likely will centralize HD at some point, probably with the roll-out of MPEG 4, I see it being a slow transition and the current HD should remain in place for quite some time. IMHO

NightRyder
Naw, I'll go ahead. Ive got a few things going on right now and was thinking like next month. Thanks for the reply.

arty100 said:

???
Hmmm! I must have a magic touch, I took the cable out of my Voom box, stuck it in my Dish 6000 without touching the dish and BINGO! I have the Voom10 from Dish. But I guess I don't need that dish? :shocked

This reminds me of back when Dish first started broadcasting HD off 61.5, there were CSR's who had never heard of HD, didn't have a clue what a model 6000 was and were just useless. We always had to have the call escalated to 6000 advanced tech support back in the gool ol' days. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts