CSR's can't speak English??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I called Dish Network on Sunday to change my service to Dish 180 from the Everything Plan. Simple enough . . Except I called twice and got two CSRs who clearly weren't native English speakers. They both spoke with heavy Chinese accents. I couldn't understand what they were saying to me and had to hang up twice. I finally asked the second one where he was located, and he said he couldn't tell me for "security reasons". I am wondering if he was in Taiwan, because his accent was so thick.

I called again two hours later, and got a native English speaking CSR, and she put the order through with no problem. Three calls to make a simple change?

Where are the CSRs based out of anyway? Are they overseas to save Dish Network money? If so, they are doing a poor job of speaking clearly.

Yes, actually E* did start farming out these calls overseas.

I know exactly what you mean - I had a customer who moved to a new address, whom I called it in for her. All the CSR had to do was change the physical addy, then add Chicago locals. (she had CBS Chicago as a distant, which would need to be removed, of course) The CSR I got had a VERY heavy hispanic accent & I had a very hard time understanding her. After the CSR keeping me on the phone for over 15 min to do this simple thing, as well as telling me umpteen times the bill would go up by $5, the customer wound up getting the CBS Chicago remapped to ch. 2, but NO other Chicago locals. It took a 2nd phone call to find out that after all of that trouble, the locals were NEVER added to the account - the 2nd CSR did it in a matter of seconds.

mitchflorida said:
I called Dish Network on Sunday to change my service to Dish 180 from the Everything Plan. Simple enough . . Except I called twice and got two CSRs who clearly weren't native English speakers. They both spoke with heavy Chinese accents. I couldn't understand what they were saying to me and had to hang up twice. I finally asked the second one where he was located, and he said he couldn't tell me for "security reasons". I am wondering if he was in Taiwan, because his accent was so thick.
<text deleted>

Where are the CSRs based out of anyway? Are they overseas to save Dish Network money? If so, they are doing a poor job of speaking clearly.

They're from outer space. You see Martians are taking over the jobs now. The Chinese became too expensive. They replaced the Indians who replaced the Midwestern US employees who replaced the California ones who replaced the ones from New Jersey (who used to send someone to whack you if you complained too much). Be thankful. The next CSRs will be computers.

"you have reached our CSR voice recognition system. Please state your problem".

"I want to end my service"

"OK, we will extend your service. How long will you like it extended"

"No! Ended! For the life of me, can't you understand?"

"OK. We have recorded that your conract is now extended for life. You do understand you cannot change that"

"Aggghhhh!!!!"

Why can't they keep the worker jobs here and outsource management? That's where the real savings would be. Just think - A CEO who makes $10/hour!

JohnP

I would prefer a computer over these human CSRs if it was a well designed web site where you could make your own changes. Wouldn't have to worry about heavy acents. Keep a few humans available for people who don't know how to read or navigate a web site but let the rest of us punch in the same info. that the CSR does.

Until I was having BIG problems with my 921, I had the same problem. CSR's with a definite India type accent. But now when I call, I always get put through to ATS(Advanced Tech Support), so they must have a caller ID system in place to route calls.

Dell is bad about hiring out over-seas support. I've had to order parts through India that were shipped from Texas... Go figure...

I had the same experience last year when trying to get an 811. I tried multiple times to get the deal that was mentioned on a Charlie Chat. I gave up after about 15 minutes and thought I would have better luck calling back. Nope! I probably got into the same call center with people who had heavy thick Indian accents. I decided not to go any further with my conversation and got off the phone with that CSR. Tried again for sheets and giggles with the same result.

Called the next day and got to a CSR in Texas, said to myself oh boy here we go again and.... j/k :D

I sent an email to Dish after I ordered the 811 and informed them about the issues I was having with trying to understand their out of country CSR and how disappointed I was in them. Didn't hear anything back.

Paul

Yep, I've had the same problem. Can't understand a word the CSR is saying. It irks me that this is so heavily out-sourced. I have to agree with maximum: put it on the website and let us do it ourselves (like the yellow-card activation). It's not like it's rocket-science, for cryin' out loud...

I frequently get my correspondence in Spanish which is not my native language.

Never Call 1 800 333 Dish

You will all do yourself a huge favor by calling the sales number 1-888-DISH-123 or by calling the Pittsburg call center @ 1-888-233-DISH. Everyone I talk to in Pittsburg speaks Engleeesh!

cheers

jpezz said:
They're from outer space. You see Martians are taking over the jobs now. The Chinese became too expensive. They replaced the Indians who replaced the Midwestern US employees who replaced the California ones who replaced the ones from New Jersey (who used to send someone to whack you if you complained too much). Be thankful. The next CSRs will be computers.

"you have reached our CSR voice recognition system. Please state your problem".

"I want to end my service"

"OK, we will extend your service. How long will you like it extended"

"No! Ended! For the life of me, can't you understand?"

"OK. We have recorded that your conract is now extended for life. You do understand you cannot change that"

"Aggghhhh!!!!"

Why can't they keep the worker jobs here and outsource management? That's where the real savings would be. Just think - A CEO who makes $10/hour!

JohnP

Just like the arabic tech support

"Hello, my name is George, how can I help you today?"

Havent had the issue with Dish...always get a honkey (English speaking person)

Now...I just called Nextel....3 times to get someone I could "understand" and that was tough.

I always got s danged old india boy. What really chapped me was neither one of them could speak english worth a rip. I even let my wife from Europe listen in and she had a hard time figuring out what they said. Dell shopped out their tech support as well but with so many complaints are slowly bringing it back here.

Iceberg said:
Havent had the issue with Dish...always get a honkey (English speaking person)

Now...I just called Nextel....3 times to get someone I could "understand" and that was tough.

LOL LOL honkey LOL LOL Thank you ICE. where i live now i can't even understand most of them!!

I have noticed the hard to understand people answering the phones at Dish Network more and more as time goes by. If they would give us even more options online for changing services (particularly dropping channels) then there would be fewer needs to call in.

Awhile back when i was on the phone, I asked why we couldn't downgrade online and her response was because we're charged everytime we downgrade and some people don't know this or they forget it. Her attitude was that they would probably receive just as many calls as they do now. Instead of downgrade or drop a package, it would be why was I charged $5? I can understand but dish could also put up a warning that says if you continue with your request you will be charged.

There whole business no longer makes any sense.

"Ergan also maintains a call-center in the Philippines, presumably for his Pac-Rim customers"

That's where I must have reached last weekend. They sounded Chinese to me, but perhaps they were really Filipino.

Just read the article on US call centers - bull. Spent over an hour and a half on hold/with CSR's last night trying to upgrade package and activate new receiver. They had to be in India or Pakistan area - spoke English well, but we still had trouble communicating. Hope the next time I call I'll be able to get some one who not only speaks English, but communicates in American too.

As to Dish getting a JD Powers award for customer service - any vehicle that gets a JP Powers award will be crossed off my list next time I buy.

No problem I use 1-888-233-3474 if they ask a stupid question or act like they do not understand I hang up and call right back and get hooked up with a new csr or as they call themselves now tsr.

I was under the impression that Congress passed a law that states a CSR must tell their location when asked by the customer calling in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.