Cuba offers help to aid US

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I came across this a bit ago, Cuba has offered to send help by way of 1,500 doctors and medical staff to deal with evacuee's from the gulf coast. Im not a supporter of most of what communism does but atleast they are making an atempt to offer a helping hand despite the fact that both countries are enemies. I think that this is a prime opportunity to try and begin cementing relations with Cuba, further Castro is old and may be more apt to consider change in his waining years. Either way its time to end this stand off and begin talking and this is a golden ticket to do so.

The best way Cuba could help the US and the world would be to get rid of Castro. I only hope that we have a plan on the books to invade Cuba and install a democracy when he dies.

I think they should, its obvious that a 40 year embargo has had miniscule effect on changing the peoples outlook and push them to overthrow castro, all the usual tactics arent working. Yes at one time castro posed a threat but that was when Russia was a communist nation, now he doesnt have any real communist nation to call on except maybe china but do either country have any political relations?

No, I think that its time to open a channel of communication and to do it through the offering of humanitarian aid is that crucial first step. And it really does say alot that castro has offered this help specialy since I cant ever remember hearing about the US offering help to cuba when its taken major damage from a hurricane in the past.

This is no time to politicize an issue like this. The US should accept any help that is offered. This is an olive branch that should be accepted.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
The best way Cuba could help the US and the world would be to get rid of Castro. I only hope that we have a plan on the books to invade Cuba and install a democracy when he dies.

How about taking Cuba on this offer and trying to change the system peacefully - without invasion.
It took a time for Germany - to reunite and get rid of one system - without any direct military force.

Matt said:
How about taking Cuba on this offer and trying to change the system peacefully - without invasion.
It took a time for Germany - to reunite and get rid of one system - without any direct military force.

No, not a direct military force, but it did take a force applied by Reagan during the 80's both economically and politically. I would invade Cuba when Castro dies and then say we are here to make sure the will of the people is imposed through free elections.

The fact that Cuba who does not get alot of help from anyone, is willing to help. shows the kind of people they are...

The only reason that Cuba is still communist and has not been invaded is because it does not have anything that US wants. (ie OIL).

If the country was soo bad, don't you think that those people would tried to kill Castro, or already killed him???

Americans... stop trying to rule the world and mind your own business.. and take care of your people, before you go off and make any more mistakes, (vietnam, Iraq, Iran, should i go on....)

What's even more ridiculuous is that the majority of the American public support the admin. It's mind boggling...

there are so many people in poverty and with a terrible medical system, they go and invade Iraq because someone's "daddy" didn't do it the first time he was there!!!!!

Americans... step back and think about your actions and analyze them... before you continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

nigel_miguel said:
If the country was soo bad, don't you think that those people would tried to kill Castro, or already killed him???

there have been attempts at his life, no were successful. why does everyone have to bring oil into everything.

nigel_miguel said:
The fact that Cuba who does not get alot of help from anyone, is willing to help. shows the kind of people they are...

The only reason that Cuba is still communist and has not been invaded is because it does not have anything that US wants. (ie OIL).

Americans... stop trying to rule the world and mind your own business.. and take care of your people, before you go off and make any more mistakes, (vietnam, Iraq, Iran, should i go on....)

What's even more ridiculuous is that the majority of the American public support the admin. It's mind boggling...

there are so many people in poverty and with a terrible medical system, they go and invade Iraq because someone's "daddy" didn't do it the first time he was there!!!!!

Americans... step back and think about your actions and analyze them... before you continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Gonna argue something different here this time....
Our medical system is the best in the world. Why do world leaders come here when they are sick and not go stand in line in Canada (no rip on our friends to the north) Our Dr's are the brightest and the best. And yes I do disagree with the other jibber jabber you were spewing.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
...I would invade Cuba when Castro dies and then say we are here to make sure the will of the people is imposed through free elections.

Because it has worked so well in Iraq, and there, we didn't even have to wait until Sadam died.
Take the damn help, not time to be arrogant and prideful. In the government's mind I guess taking help is showing weakness.

nigel_miguel said:

Ok buddy show me a country that hasnt made mistakes, show me a perfect country where all of its people are wealthy, show me a country where free health care is universal and not paid for by its own citizens through exceedingly high goverment taxes, show me country that doesnt have or need a military force, police force, any kind of protection at all. Its always easy to say " its for oil, thats the only reason" any time an American president takes action.

So I guess the fact that Iraq invading a tiny little country to the south killing its citizens and destroying its tiny military force as well as ransacking every building and raping and killing its people is ok to you? I also take it that you find no problem with sadam ordering his troops to use nerve agents against unarmed civilians in the north of iraq, did you condone his atempted surface to surface missile atack of israel during the first atack on Iraq?

Yes our leaders have made mistakes as have every leader of every country including what ever country you come from, but before you get on your soap box and start wagging your finger and casting stones you had better be sure that your own country has a saintly foot to stand on. What do you expect us to do, turn and run from terrorists who would come to our country and kill thousands of innocent people?! WE DONT RUN , and you better expect us to bring it back to you a hundred fold.

nigel_miguel said:
The fact that Cuba who does not get alot of help from anyone, is willing to help. shows the kind of people they are....

That's a nice thought but unfortunately the Cuban people do not live in a democracy so it is not "they" who made the decision to help. Castro did that undoubtedly to make himself look good in the eyes of the world community.
nigel_miguel said:
The only reason that Cuba is still communist and has not been invaded is because it does not have anything that US wants. If the country was soo bad, don't you think that those people would tried to kill Castro, or already killed him???
(ie OIL).

This implies that the US will invade any country that has oil. This can be disproven by the fact that Canada has one of the largest reserves of oil in the world and has not been invaded. Cuba is still communist because a dictator has total control. The people of Cuba are good people ruled by a terrible dictator.

nigel_miguel said:

What's even more ridiculuous is that the majority of the American public support the admin. It's mind boggling....

No one is trying to "rule he world". What we are trying to do is show people in certain areas of the world that they can share our success if they model themselves after us. And that means a capitalist economy and a democracy which can be molded to fit the needs of a particular country as it is in Iraq. The majority of people support Bush because they understand what he is trying to do (fight a small scale war now to avert a world war later).

nigel_miguel said:
There are so many people in poverty and with a terrible medical system, they go and invade Iraq because someone's "daddy" didn't do it the first time he was there!!!!!

There are poor people everywhere as the disaster in New orleans points out. these folks are the result of generation after generation of the "welfare state" mentality. The health care system in the US is number one in the world and I believe few can really doubt that.

I would encourage you and everyone here to read the following piece written by a Cuban-born person to gain some perspective into Castro. Lest we forget.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=18739

Slamminc11 said:
Because it has worked so well in Iraq, and there, we didn't even have to wait until Sadam died.
Take the damn help, not time to be arrogant and prideful. In the government's mind I guess taking help is showing weakness.

They can take the help if they want. My concern is it could be considered "blood money" gained by a dictator. The invasion of Iraq was completely justified and supported by 17 UN resolutions. They just didn't want to actually do anything-just pass resolutions.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
This implies that the US will invade any country that has oil. This can be disproven by the fact that Canada has one of the largest reserves of oil in the world and has not been invaded.

That doesn't necessarily prove it. I don't know all the details but I've read that part of nafta and the earlier us-Canada free trade agreements requires Canada to supply the US with oil even if it means shortages in Canada.

The US has access to all forms of Canadian energy. If there is a shortage of oil or if - for any other reason - Canada wants to cut back on its export amount to the US, it can't. It must deliver the amount it has been delivering to the US averaged over the last three years, or the same proportion of restricted output.

http://www.ola.bc.ca/online/cf/module-4/usrel.html (from a google search)

Chado said:
This is no time to politicize an issue like this. The US should accept any help that is offered. This is an olive branch that should be accepted.
I disagree. We need to be very careful who we accept aid from.

kb7oeb said:
That doesn't necessarily prove it. I don't know all the details but I've read that part of nafta and the earlier us-Canada free trade agreements requires Canada to supply the US with oil even if it means shortages in Canada.

The US has access to all forms of Canadian energy. If there is a shortage of oil or if - for any other reason - Canada wants to cut back on its export amount to the US, it can't. It must deliver the amount it has been delivering to the US averaged over the last three years, or the same proportion of restricted output.

http://www.ola.bc.ca/online/cf/module-4/usrel.html (from a google search)

I don't know where this information is from or if it is true or not. But the key point is the term "free trade agreemants". Obviously it was entered into by Canada on a voluntary basis. No one forced them to do it. NAFTA has benefited the US and several nations. Canada has a large stake in seeing the US remain a superpower since they effectively gain a free national defense by bordering us. That is why they can afford national health care.

vurbano said:
I disagree. We need to be very careful who we accept aid from.

I agree with you Vurbano. If you accept help from Castro is legitimizes him and implies we support his actions through the years. Same thing happened with the recent Gaza pullout. That was a tragedy for the free world in my opinion and only rewards terrorist behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts