Curiosity question about re-booting??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
I was just sitting around thinking about something and wondered if someone had an answer. If you were re-booting your Genie(or I guess any box,H24, HR-24,ECT...) and let's say in the middle of the re-boot the electricity went out, what do you think would be the end result. I believe if the power went out in the middle of a re-boot the Genie would be corrupted or destroyed, I have no facts on this but it's just what I think. Even if the electricity went out for like 5 seconds and then came back on, I still think the Genie would be destroyed. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might happen in this scenario?? I am just curious.

I doubt it would be corrupted.
A couple weeks ago I was having issues with my Genie (HR34) rebooting (long story). When it rebooted I got mad and unplugged it for a minute or so. Plugged it back in and it works fine

I think I read somewhere that these boxes run some kind of embedded linux. If that's the case, they won't be corrupted by a power failure. The entire file system is simply an image file and it keeps the previous image. If it's downloading an update, it will resume or restart it. If it's in the middle of writing the update, that one file may be corrupt so it wouldn't be seen as a valid file system and it would simply boot the previous, see that there's an update file and proceed to write the update again. They're pretty robust in that regard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts