Current Blu Ray Players are deficient (Take 3)

ZZZzzzz.....

All that fuss over something that's been known since the first player hit the store shelves?

I dispute the first sentence of that story. Old DVD players struggled to play a lot of discs. Including lockups, special features that did not work, etc.

Besides according to the HD-DVD camp 99.999999% of BD players are PS3s anyways, so I guess that there may be a person or 2 out there upset...

So we are talking about all those features that i don;t even use on my HD-DVD player now... that when the time comes i will upgrade my BDP-S1 that by the way is having no problems iwht moves that other that have baught into the samsung brand( and i love there tv's) are having...

I dispute the first sentence of that story. Old DVD players struggled to play a lot of discs. Including lockups, special features that did not work, etc.

Besides according to the HD-DVD camp 99.999999% of BD players are PS3s anyways, so I guess that there may be a person or 2 out there upset...
I knew the truth would come out sooner or later. There are only 2 BD standalone owners in existense.

What about DTS? DTS sound was added to DVD after it came out. The spec only called for PCM and Dolby Digital. Did all the first generation DVD players become obsolete because they could not decode DTS?

And what is to say that if HD-DVD became the standard that some new features would not have come up and been added? Then all the current players are useless because bonus feature XX will not work?

Even a red supporter like me thinks this is a non-issue for most people.

I don't plan to buy Blu-Ray until the 2.0 standalones appear at reasonable prices. I can deal w/ Panasonic and to a lesser degree Funai selling 1.1 standalones. However, Denon is asking $2k for one. WTF? :confused:

The issues for Blu-Ray are replication capacity and pricing. They will also need to figure out a way to get Universal and Paramount (back) on board.

The fact of the matter is that BD player manufacturers are leaving these features off so that they can double dip and sell you another overpriced machine later. There is no excuse nor ever was one for all BD standalones not to have ethernet ports, adequate memory and etc.

I still have the very first Toshiba DVD player (purchased on the very first day) and it plays latest DVDs and all special features without any issues. I never installed any firmware updates (or did any repairs to it). Over the years I have encountered just 2-3 discs that had compatibility issues. Didn't see any lockups at all (unless it was a damaged disc).

So, in my experience the first sentence of the article is correct: Pop a new DVD into even the oldest of DVD players and chances are good it will work just fine.

In reguards to upgrade path on BD players it has been pretty much a given since the first BD standalone hit the shelves that early adopters were going to have to purchase a new player after about two years in order to be able to access new features. Most early adopters knew this going in and some of us actually purchased a PS3 knowing the PS3 could be upgraded as the new features were enacted.

This however does not help those new to BD and are purchasing 1.0 compliant BD players. If the BD forum is serious about all BD players being sold after October31, 2007 being 1.1 compliant then they should stop selling all players that can not be upgraded and get on with the program.

Until then, I can't believe I am saying this, Vurbano is on target with his *itching about the lack of compliant standalones in the BD lineup.

In reguards to upgrade path on BD players it has been pretty much a given since the first BD standalone hit the shelves that early adopters were going to have to purchase a new player after about two years in order to be able to access new features.
blah blah blah................... same old song from you. You keep using it as an excuse, yet even today there are only a couple of 2.0 profile players out and the market still flooded with non compliant 1.0 and 1.1 players. The reason is pure greed yet you defend Sony their cohorts until the end of time.Tell me papa smurf, do the BD manufacturers write this "pretty much a given" on the outside of the box? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That's what I like about you Vurbano. I agree with you and you can't even acknowledge the act. Keep plugging away Vur -- at least you believe in what you support!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts