Current Dish customer looking to switch but have questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tdmontg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Alabama
I've read hundreds of threads so I have a few questions that were not quite answered yet.

1. I was with Direct TV many years ago ofr several years, switched to Dish in 2006. What kind of deal can I expect from them if I switch back?? I have excellent credit and can I negotiate for more equipment/better programming than what is advirtised?

2. I know how Dish DVR networks but do not know how the MRV works. I'm about to move to another house and don't know how it is wired. Does that matter? Can anyone provide a link for a wiring schematic for the network?

3. How many HD DVR's will I need, How many HD recievers will I need? I want HD DVR access in at least three rooms and SD DVR access in three rooms - total of six rooms. What equipment do I need and how much of it will I have to buy?

4. Are there charges for each TV accessing the DVR? Dish charges for each reciever, does DTV do the same?

5. Where do I get the best deal/rebates? I'm not a member of Costco, but can be. Independant Reseller, DTV website or Discount Club....where is the best deals to be had??

I want the answers to all of these so when I call, I can know as much or more than the CSR I'm speaking with.

Td,

1) The Deal is pretty good, any core package is $29 dollars off per month (of the regular core package for 12 months), then $14 dollars off the regular Core Package for the next 12 months. If you know somebody that has direcTV then mention their account # when Signing up and get another $10 off for the first 12 months. Either MRV or HD service is Free for life either or is $10 each.

2) MRV is per account, only HD receivers can use MRV. If you get 2 HD DVR's then both DVR's Recordings are shared, any HD Non DVR receiver can also access any recording on either DVR. Be aware you can only access ONE remote recording at a time between all your receivers. DirecTV now has SWM technology this is a Single Wire from the Dish and can be split using the appropriate DirecTV Splitters, upto 8 times on a standard SWM 8. A Swm 8 LNBF can support up to 8 total tuners, DVR's use 2 tuners so you can support upto 4 DVR's or a combination of DVR's and single Tuner receivers. If you want to support more than 8 tuners and are willing to pay for receivers you want then DirecTV will install a SWM16 which can support upto 16 total tuners.

3) I suggest you get 2 or 3 DVR's and then get HD Receivers so you can share all the recordings for all three DVR's to the additional HD receivers. DirecTV will supply the initial HD DVR for Free your Second HD DVR will be $99 dollars, a third would be $199, additional HD receivers are $99, a additional Standard Def DVR is $99, and Standard Definition receivers are free. All receivers are Leased, so when you terminate service you will have to return all the hardware.

4) DirecTV charges an additional Receiver Fee of $6.00 per each extra receiver regardless of the type, DirecTV also charges a Whole Home DVR fee of $7.00 per account.

5) The deal you will get will likely be the same regardless of the provider, also remember a New DirecTV contract is 24 months.

If you do churn over to DirecTV make sure you apply for the $29/$14 dollar rebate online before the installation so the Credits will appear on your first billing invoice. If you want a DirecTV customer referral to get the additional $10 per month off for 12 months, (PM Me).

I called a local retailer and then applied online to get the credits applied. In most cases a local retailer will guarantee which hardware you will receive. I insisted on H24/HR24's.

John

Last edited:
I signed with Direct yesterday, currently on Dish, don't forget , today is the last day of getting an additional $5 off per month, for 12 months.

BTW one thing I forgot, is that you will be charged TAX and some other fee on the initial hardware purchase.
In my case, the first HD DVR is free, additional was $99 for the second one, then $199 for the third. (which is what I got)
Online it showed : due today: $298, but then with tax etc it came to $336

1) You will not be able to negotiation equipment costs with DirecTV directly, but you can try with Independent local retailers or Costco. There is a refer a friend in which both accounts get a $100 credit, $10 a month for 10 months that is available through most independent retailers and DirecTV Directly.
Heres how it works: Basically DirecTV gives you $300 in credits for equipment. The following is the cost per receiver:
HDDVRS: 200
HD: 100
Standard DVR's: 100
Standard: 0
Generally Retailers offer the same deal, although not all retailers offer free standard receivers after the initial 4 rooms.

2) Doesn't matter, the tech will get it to work. Ideally, home runs from each of the TV's to a central location is the best bet.

3) This is a hard question to answer as we do not know your viewing habits of your household or your full expectations. Here are the limitations: You can only have one remote viewing at a time in the system. You can not do MVR with standard def. If you MUST have DVR access in all rooms at all times, you're looking at 2HDDVRs, 1 HD receiver and 3 standard def DVRS. ($500 in equipment fees). If one remote viewing at a time is ok with DVR access to all rooms, youre looking at 1HDDVR and 5 HD receivers ($400).

4) There is a $6 per receiver fee after the 1st receiver. A single charge of $10 per month covers all DVR and MVR access. $10.00 for HD, but its free with autopay signup. <--- Make sure this is done at the time of ordering.

5) See #2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts