Current Dish customer upgrading to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jspain3

Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
I got an HDTV for xmas and I wanted to get HD programming. I currently have the dual tuner for 2 standard tv's.

1st, should I exchange my current receiver for the HD one or should I just add the HD receiver and have more rooms connected?

2nd, which HD package should I get?

Any suggestions??
Thanks

I would start with the current package you have but add HD programing. As far as a receiver I would upgrade to another Dual Tuner HD receiver, If you have a DVR model I would get the VIP-622 receiver, E* will come out install the receiver and upgrade your dish if it's need.

Remember there's a DVR fee for every dual tuner that you have, unless you get the AEP with HD. If you don't care about recording HD, you could just get the 211 HD receiver in addition to your DVR.

Also, at CES in January, they should be introducing the 222 HD receiver. It's like a 622, without the DVR.

I have 2 622s, and I love them. One is with an HD tv (it also shares its second tuner with the kitchen), and the other is with a non- HD tv (so far). Even the non HD tv can view the HD programming albeit not in HD. Also, the big hard drive is very nice.

I can't imagine living without a DVR. I simply love skipping back to hear what I missed, time shifting, and only seeing the commercials I WANT to see. I love my ViP622.

I also have 2 622's and 4 211's and a 311, the 622's are great, had one 622 on a non HD 61 in Sony until Santa brought a new 61in JVC for Christmas. One thing, make sure Dish sets the resoltion on the 622 to 1080I, I have seen 3 installs where they have left it at 480P and the customer didn't know the difference until we cranked it up.

thanks for all the advice

I think I will upgrade to the 622 because of the larger hard drive and I definitely would like the ability to rewind, pause, etc. during HD programming. I am keeping the standard dual tuner for now, so I'll just bite the bullet on the one-time expenses for the new receiver, and if I end up not using the old one, I'll cancel it and send it back.

Thanks again...can't wait to try it out!

Last edited:
Is the HD content really worth it? What is there to watch?
I was diswaded in my other thread from getting the DVR. But I was thinking of getting a HD tuner if the content it worth watching.

Only you can decide if there is HD content worth watching.

Look at the guides by Dish here.
Or Titan TV here.
Or HDTV Magazine here.

Last edited:
Well, I happen to love the DVR, had non HD one for years, now 2 HD 622's. You can record 3 things at once, same qualitly play as it was recorded. Keeps recorded things til you have time to watch them.

As far as HD content, that's all dependent on what you watch. HDNET has Bikini Destinations, which is nice in HD. HDNET movies has some pretty good movies. Discovery HD has alot of specials, Equator has alot of HD shots of nature from all over the world, rave has some good concerts on, although somewhat limited in big names, but they do have a few.

Food HD has some pretty neat stuff at times, but we like to watch cake contests, cooking contests, etc. You may not.

The kids love Monsters HD, Kung FU and A

We are not sports fans, but like Nascar and Hockey some, those are terrific in HD, so is Basket Ball and Football.

70 percent of the time, we watch over the air HD from CBS, NBC, mostly evenings. Most of their content in the evening is HD now. Even the morning show, Leno, Letterman. So an OTA HD tuner may meet your needs just fine. CSI Miami is terrific in HD, as well as most of the evening shows and the DVR records the OTA HD in superb quality. They had a car show in HD last night I was watching and the paint colors were spectacular. So it is all in what you want and how much you want to pay for that choice.

JVC 26IN Widescreen LCD 1080I Bedroom
Sharp 37in Widescreen LCD 1080I Living room
AOC 17in Widescreen LCD 1080I Kid Bedroom (also doubles as PC monitor)
AOC 17in Widescreen LCD 1080I Kid Bedroom (also doubles as PC monitor)
RCA 34in Widesceen CRT 1080I Kid Bedroom (Won from Dish HDTV Giveaway)
JVC 61in Widescreen DILA 1080P Basement Recroom

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)