Current DTV customer moving: transfer service or cancel and start new service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Buck Swope

Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
Trying to figure out the best deal for me. I also have an old DTV box which I am sure can use some upgrading (I do not have the model number but current only get HD stations between #70-80).

I am a AAA member but not sure if qualify since I am technical not a new customer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Good question. I'll be facing the same situation relatively soon as well. You may want to double check your contract length and see what sort of cancellation penalty you could incur, if any.

I have done quite a few "Movers Installs" this last 2 months where I was installing some new equipment and the customer said they offered, free premiums, free DVR or HD upgrades and Legacy upgrades. So you may want to confirm with a D* CSR.

Just call and ask about an upgrade to the new HD equipment, odds are it will be free or close to free.

Cancelling then trying to reactivate and they will treat you as a returning customer, which is much less favorable as far as deals, i.e. no deals.

talk to as many CSRs as is takes to get what you want. Eventually, you'll find one that can help you. It's possible you need to upgrade your dish to the 5LNB...and you need B-Band converters...tell em you're moving and you need a proper setup at your new home. You should pay $0.

Easiest thing is cancel your service (assume no early termination fee) and order as a NEW sub once at the new location, call ahead of the move if there is backlog on installation at your new address.

With your new address, your account will be new for sure. The AAA deal for a new sub is so far the best deal. Although if you can get a better deal by calling in that movers program, more power to you. Or when you cancel, they might offer a better deal to stay with them. I just haven't read one that is better than the AAA new sub deal yet.

When I switched from DISH to DirecTV, DISH actually offered me a better deal to stay, compared to had I was ordering DISH as a new sub at that time, so you never know. But DISH did not have a very good new sub deal at that time so it made that retention deal look better.

just a new address may not allow DirecTv reps to place an order as a new customer. They also track full names and SSNs.

just a new address may not allow DirecTv reps to place an order as a new customer. They also track full names and SSNs.

No they don't. Even if they track them, they don't enforce it. They'd rather you become their customer again, than losing you to someone else.

The only real binding act is the contract, beyond that the consumer is in the driver seat, not the company. That is why competition is good for the consumers.

That is also why DirecTV will find any way possible to extend your contract:)

So I basically whimped out and did not feel like going through the hassle of cancelling service etc. and starting a new one

They gave me a free box upgrade at the new place
Free Showtime for a year
$10/month off
no committment

I have heard that a lot on Movers jobs I have put in lately. And confirmed with the CSR during activation. It is probably a rebuttal to Dishes non-committal movers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)