Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I would like to make an opening inquiry about the possibility of receiving the PBS HD feed on 103 C band. I have used our "search" function but most of the information is quite old. I hate my local PBS affiliate and I am blocked by the neighbors trees at 125 degrees. I could get Louisiana PBS at 87 but have read they have reliability issues and preempt PBS programming for local sports. ION in HD would be a bonus.
How do members rate the reliability, PQ and audio of the PBS HD feed at 103? According to the SES website I seem to have an EIRP of 41 here in West Texas. Could I suffice with a 180 cm fiberglass dish?
I have a friend to visit in April who could help me with such a project if I had the components purchased by then, so this would be the time to make serious inquiry. Thanks to all.

I watch it often. Same PQ as the feeds on 125 Ku. Eastern TZ. I use a 10' (3m) dish though. Would expect you would need an 8' dish to be reliable but a 180cm dish should pick it up well enough to get a lock. Think the FEC is 3/4 and modulation is QPSK so lock should maintain well with marginal signal. If you have a dish it is best to swing it over there and try it, then you know for sure with your particular setup.

If you don't already have a C-band dish I would look for a larger one though, used ones are often free for the taking. Check Craigslist and Kajiji.

Yes a bigger dish would be great. I would then add an LNBF for 99.0°W. 99 and 103 would be a nice combo. :)

I concur with if possible a larger dish than 6 foot. When I had my house in Minneapolis I could get it with a 6 footer but it was a bugger sometimes to lock.

In addition to PBS and Ion,103W also has:
Qubo - for kids
American Auction
Montana Tv - Bleah
Info Wars Network
Some Hispanic channels

I receive all the above channels well with a 7.5 foot dish in Virginia.Signal strength may be stronger in my area though.YMMV

If a free 8 ft'er is available,it's better than nothing...but you'll probably want bigger once you realize what you are missing across the arc.We all be HAWGS here for receiving more and more lol. :whistle

I can remember many conversations concerning minibuds in the past but do not recall 103 pbs in the mix.

I can say it's not what I'd call a strong TP on the satellite, but is reliable with the 10 ft BUD.

If a free 7.5 or 8 ft'er is available,it's better than nothing anything smaller IMHO.

But if you have a dish, and order the LNBF with both conical and flat scalar, give it a whirl* on a mini.
If that doesn't pan out, you're set for the LNBF to put on a BUD.

*"whirl' = Aim the dish on Ku as best as possible. Then, without moving the dish, remove the Ku LNBF and find the sweet spot for the C band LNBF. Don't move the dish in doing so.

Well......This is why I asked for some basic information at this point, and it is very much appreciated. No, I do not have any of the equipment. I am afraid 6 feet would be the absolute size limit both in regards to where it would have to be placed (practically in the entranceway to my home) and in terms of what my friend and I could physically handle at our age. I am going to have to look at some other alternatives. There is some possibility that I could receive an alternative PBS station OTA from about 60 miles away (and over a mountain range) and I just received my monthly PBS flyer discussing a new service they are offering to members on-line. It never hurts to ask and at least this thread will service any other members who are searching for some more current information on the subject.

Mr. B, I am a mini budder I use a 1.2 meter commercial dish I can receive pbs and ion pbs is at 70q. Ion is at 50q but I wish I had a bigger dish.

Just up I-25 from you in Albuquerque the PBS transponder is weak on a 180cm dish. I got it to lock but everything had to be dead on aligned. Even then it was marginal. ION has a much stronger signal. I'd recommend something larger. Its a shame you cant clear 125ku. Having an East and West channel (plus a bunch of other goodies) is very convenient for my family and I.

Satellite footprints can obviously make a difference for all locations so good to know what your neighbors are getting. I got PBS on a 1.2 m dish but could not get ION. I live in SW Canada - nowhere near you. Also, PBS is on a vertical transponder whereas ION is on horizontal. Not necessarily equally able on every setup. Some people's systems are stronger in one orientation and others are better pointed and ... mileage might vary. A good,well pointed, plumb, round and true 6ft with a C1PLL lnb should work. It helps to use a sat meter when pointing as opposed to a STB and a TV. I agree that it would be well worth adding LNBs on either side to get 107 and 99.

Reactions: danristheman
PBS and ION SD are strong for me on my 10ft all the way down here. ION HD is semi watchable, at night its fine but not so much during daylight

I would like to make an opening inquiry about the possibility of receiving the PBS HD feed on 103 C band. I have used our "search" function but most of the information is quite old. I hate my local PBS affiliate and I am blocked by the neighbors trees at 125 degrees. I could get Louisiana PBS at 87 but have read they have reliability issues and preempt PBS programming for local sports. ION in HD would be a bonus.
How do members rate the reliability, PQ and audio of the PBS HD feed at 103? According to the SES website I seem to have an EIRP of 41 here in West Texas. Could I suffice with a 180 cm fiberglass dish?
I have a friend to visit in April who could help me with such a project if I had the components purchased by then, so this would be the time to make serious inquiry. Thanks to all.

I get 103W C-band great here - even on my wind/hail damaged 12 foot Paraclipse - no pixelation even on the damaged dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts