Custom install fees

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerseyMatt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Midwest
Does anyone have a copy of or link to the current custom install fee schedule that D* installers charge? Trying to figure out whether it's cheaper for me to take a trip to fish cable through my sister's house and mount a pole or just let D* do it. It'd be a 5 outlet install, and the pole would be by choice (not LOS required).

Last edited:
I don't think there is a set charge for custom work nationally, but most of what I have read says $75 for a pole mount and ~$50 for a wall fish.

When I called to set up an install the first time the CSR told me the install included a pole mount if needed. I figured she was full of BS....

I think per fish. Try searching the site, I'm sure there is more accurate information about it.

It is 75 for the pole and 50 for each outlet fished. Now saying that DTV has a generic customer install price list but it also says that tech can charge more if they want. DTV say reasonable charges above the ones listed in there internal reference guide but again dtv does not define reasonable. Most techs tend to follow the guideline unless they dont want to do the job then they charge outrageous amounts for you say no.

Cool. Standard install usually includes 4 outlets, right? She needs 5.. What's the "each add'l outlet" fee, and would there be a fish fee on top of it? (ie: if it's $30 for the add'l outlet, would a fished add'l outlet cost $80?)

You might get an installer to waive the pole mount. I've never charged for one. However the 5th outlet is free due to having to run a line to a receive so that will cost whatever D* wants to charge. The wall fish's is each one. So 5 outlets would be $250 if the tech isn't willing to waive the pole fee it would cost $325 total for all the custom work.

If you don't want to pay all those additional fees, I suggest you do a lot of the work yourself. If you have a clear line of site, then dig a hole where you want the dish and have it trenched. Just be wary about additional charges for extra cable (usually 125' per install). Offer to concrete the pole while he starts on the cable.

If you want your walls fished, have a hole cut and a draw string in place at each location. There should be no reason for him to charge you if he can get the cable in just as quick as a standard install. If he doesn't have to do any drilling, it will be even better. Just make sure you can get the cable up no problem.

Be fair and tip him. If he's there less than 2 hours, he's done pretty well. If he's been longer, give him an extra bone for working hard.

Oh I have no problem doing the work, I prewired my house prior to my own install.. I'm just trying to figure out whether it would be cheaper for me to drive the 700 miles round trip to do it for her, or just pay the installer to do it.. $200 is about the break even point as far as gas goes, so to not have to spend 10 hours on the road is worth $125.. :D I'm going to her house Thanksgiving, and I would've done it then, but she wants the Sunday Ticket deal!

Oh I have no problem doing the work, I prewired my house prior to my own install.. I'm just trying to figure out whether it would be cheaper for me to drive the 700 miles round trip to do it for her, or just pay the installer to do it.. $200 is about the break even point as far as gas goes, so to not have to spend 10 hours on the road is worth $125.. :D I'm going to her house Thanksgiving, and I would've done it then, but she wants the Sunday Ticket deal!

Oh thats a no brainer! I would call up a local retailer near her and inquire about them putting it in since they will have direct contact with the installer and can give your a round about quote. If they can't offer a better deal package wise, ask if the installer will prewire the house and put a pole in for $200. i say this because if its 5 wallfishes, she might get blown off if it takes a lot of work. The techs are usually booked for the entire day and may not have the extra time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts