Customer service and false information?

spudmancbr954rr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
I thought I'd post something here regarding a call I made to DISH a few days ago to see what some of the members thought.
I called to try to work out a better deal on my programming and equipment costs. During the discussion, I was transferred to the retention department where I spoke at length with a very nice woman who seemed to be quite helpful. At one point during the conversation though, she mentioned that she noticed that in addition to my 722 and 211 receivers, I had a receiver that was not an HD receiver. Knowing that the only other unit I had was a ViP 622, I immediately corrected her. Well....that started a 5 minute conversation where she kept insisting that my 622 was NOT a high definition receiver, along with her stating at one point "that might be your problem...because all of your service comes through that 622 and it is not an HD receiver." As I sat on the phone with her, watching a beautiful 1080 HD image on the TV I have connected to my 622, all I could do was shake my head. I ultimately agreed to let the service tech that was going to come out to see if I could finally get my locals in HD (I've never been able to because of a large tree in my yard that blocked the supposed only bird in the sky at that time for my HD locals) bring along a 722 to swap it for free for my "non-HD" 622. After I got off the phone with her, I went to the DISH website and logged into my account. Under "My Equipment", it correctly showed my 722, 622 and 211. I then went to the support section to look for a link to the manual for my 622 and surprise...it doesn't exist on the website! I had to laugh, as it almost seems as though any mention of the ViP 622 is gone from the DISH support pages. Anyway, I decided that I'm going to cancel my scheduled service appointment, as from what I can tell, there is nothing that 722 will do for me that my 622 doesn't already do quite well. As for the HD locals, being only 30 miles from Milwaukee allows me to pick up about 60 digital OTA channels with a nice UHF antenna that I have connected to both the 722 and 622 so I can record them just as if they were coming off the dish. Oh...that was another thing the woman mentioned that might be incorrect. I told her I didn't want to upgrade to the Hopper right now because I didn't think they had a coaxial input for an OTA antenna on them. She insisted they did. When I looked at an image of the rear panel of a Hopper, the only antenna input I saw was for the remote antenna and not for an OTA unit. Further research led me to some sort of USB OTA adapter though, but I don't know at this point if that comes at an additional cost or not. Anyway...that's my story. Any comments regarding the "non-HD" 622?

622 is virtually the same as a 722... Except you cannot use the sling adapter on a 622. The OTA for the hopper goes coax to adapter, and then adapter USB to receiver. It's an external box.

622 is virtually the same as a 722... Except you cannot use the sling adapter on a 622. The OTA for the hopper goes coax to adapter, and then adapter USB to receiver. It's an external box.
And the 722 has a larger hard drive.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I think cancelling the appointment for the 622 to 722 "upgrade" is the right way to go for me. At some point (assuming I ever find time to off-load all my DVR content), I'll probably look into the whole Hopper setup. I have enough trouble watching recorded stuff with my current receivers; if I had that new 16-tuner Hopper 3, I'd probably never leave the house. LOL

Reactions: navychop
Thanks for all the input, guys. I think cancelling the appointment for the 622 to 722 "upgrade" is the right way to go for me. At some point (assuming I ever find time to off-load all my DVR content), I'll probably look into the whole Hopper setup. I have enough trouble watching recorded stuff with my current receivers; if I had that new 16-tuner Hopper 3, I'd probably never leave the house. LOL
Yeah..Having that OTA availability is huge.
In many cities, transmitters are scattered all over the landscape making it difficult for on single antenna to receive enough signal for a quality pic...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)