Customer Service HORRIBLE

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RichManitoba

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Madison, WI
I've been on the phone with ATT, Directv, whatever the hell they call themselves. It's the worst experience I've ever had. I'm eligible for a free upgrade; I just want to upgrade from an HR 44 to an HR54, and replace one C41 with one C61, as many of you have suggested.

Do you think they can do this? NO. I'm with the 5th person who is the best of the 5, but still really bad. They don't know what an HD-DVR is. They don't know what a 4K DVR is.

(I just passed the 90 minute mark on the phone with them...I think it's time to call Charter cable to see what they can offer. I already have their land line and internet service.)

DOES ANYBODY MONITOR THIS SITE FROM DIRECTV? Please help!!!! It's very obvious that customer service has gone to hell since ATT came on board.

EDIT: Now they tell me I AM NOT eligible for a free upgrade, even though I have an e-mail from Direct telling me I AM! They said it would cost be $200.00, but they can reduce to $100.00...I even read the e-mail to the girl in retention. I have been very nice and patient (I'm typing while on hold), but that's about to end!!:argue

Stay tuned......I told them to forgedaboudit, I'll call another day. Even tho' I haven't had many, it truly was the worst experience EVER on the phone with any kind of company.

Last edited:
I've been on the phone with ATT, Directv, whatever the hell they call themselves. It's the worst experience I've ever had. I'm eligible for a free upgrade; I just want to upgrade from an HR 44 to an HR54, and replace one C41 with one C61, as many of you have suggested.

Do you think they can do this? NO. I'm with the 5th person who is the best of the 5, but still really bad. They don't know what an HD-DVR is. They don't know what a 4K DVR is.

(I just passed the 90 minute mark on the phone with them...I think it's time to call Charter cable to see what they can offer. I already have their land line and internet service.)

DOES ANYBODY MONITOR THIS SITE FROM DIRECTV? Please help!!!! It's very obvious that customer service has gone to hell since ATT came on board.

EDIT: Now they tell me I AM NOT eligible for a free upgrade, even though I have an e-mail from Direct telling me I AM! They said it would cost be $200.00, but they can reduce to $100.00...I even read the e-mail to the girl in retention. I have been very nice and patient (I'm typing while on hold), but that's about to end!!:argue
Just so you know .... your talking with D* not ATT ....
They have been answering the phones Att D* for a few years now, basically since the merger talk started.

I'm not saying that it's ma not be an att employee but for the most part, att didn't come in and remove all the D* employees.

That said, your only allowed 1 Genie on an account, so they are probably giving you issues about that as well, even though your not trying to keep them both.

First, realize that the HR54 receiver, while required for 4k reception, is something that you'd have to separately sign up for as with any other upgrade.

Second, since you never said whether or not you already have an HR44 receiver, for the sake of discussion, I'm going to assume that you do possess an HR44 receiver. In which case, based on past history, I would recommend that you will have to wait a minimum of three years until your account would allow you to be eligible for a free upgrade to HR54 (DirecTV legitimately always requires "first adopters," as it were, to pay for the upgrades on the front end, hoping most aren't patient enough to wait for a number of years to transpire before upgrading).

Third, even if you did get the HR54 receiver, you will also spend an extra lease fee on the C61 (on top of any other receivers you would already have), as well as require a higher-level programming package (I forget exactly which one) to qualify for 4k.

So, with all that, I'm going to guess that you'll spend upwards of at least $40 on top of whatever you were already spending for non-4k programming/devices.

Even with all the above, I'm not sure that DirecTV is going to give you these devices unless you specifically sign up for 4k, so it's not like you're simply going to upgrade from HD to 4k at the proverbial flip of a switch. DirecTV has too many expenses riding on 4k just for folks to simply upgrade without a few hoops.

Given that 4k is barely out the door in terms of broadcasting and even video on demand, perhaps you could share why you're so hip on getting the hr54 versus the more than equally functional hr44 at this time.

I got a Samsung 4K TV and from reading posts, getting 4K service for a 4K TV was the thing to do. I asked the question on posts I made months ago. In addition, my HR44 seems to be slowing down and the clients are very slow (sometimes 20+ seconds for a channel change). I assumed the 44 was ready to die.

Plus, if it's a FREE UPGRADE, why not?

I'd recommend using the Twitter 'DIRECTV Service' folks, they were able to help with my 4K upgrade.

FYI RichManitoba, going from an HR44 to an HR54 isn't considered an upgrade. Even though they aren't the same product, since they are both Genies, they are treated equally. If you sign up for a 4k setup, then you can get the HR54. As alluded to, you have to have one of the top two programming packages also as well as a C61 client, which could be an added cost depending upon what equipment you already have.

Reactions: Tampa8
I did the same thing and it was a NIGHTMARE but finally I got someone to understand and still got billed me for a tech visit!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I got a Samsung 4K TV and from reading posts, getting 4K service for a 4K TV was the thing to do. I asked the question on posts I made months ago. In addition, my HR44 seems to be slowing down and the clients are very slow (sometimes 20+ seconds for a channel change). I assumed the 44 was ready to die.

Plus, if it's a FREE UPGRADE, why not?
I've got a 2015 4K HDR Sony XBR in here and 2 more rooms with a C55 Mini Genie's wired client standard 2K HD install's and an HR 54 DVR out front on the Samsung 64f8500 I'm not buying intoDirecTV 4 k until its way more standard on broadcast ATSC 3.0 and the cable channels.

I'm not paying for DBS DitrecTV 4K and the RVU client and cable modem bridge or whatever for D*TV 4K and the xtra service fees that will all probably look like ass compared to Netflix and Amazom 4K and 4K HDR I have now I or a 5 star Blue ray up scaled to 4K and the Sony XBR has the best 4K upcale there is in a consumer TV anyway and the Samsung SUHD setsd are good also I think the budgets price SDR Sammy 4Ks with 60Hz panels might have not as good scalers but they looked plenty decent at best buy to me playing whatever BB was feeding them and the color and picture in general was real good also ......

On my Sony and even 10 ft =12 away in it's native up-scaling makes straight 1080p look like ass anyway.

DircTV HD while probably better than any other satellite DBS and significantly better than Dish HD lite still looks like ass compared to Amazon and Neflix 1080p but way better compared to Dish HD lite which ain't nothing but ass .,

OTOH if you want real 4K eye candy you can probably find in in your Samsung TV apps from th serviess that have HEVC 4K movies at VOD pricing or just VP9 4K you tube but if you want the real deal 4K eye candy at very high bit rates out of a USB HD and preferably a Kodi media browser if can do as good any 4K blue ray keep reading :

Here is the spot to download TV factory 4K and 4K HDR legal demo loop eye candy files play them from a USB flash drive or USB NTFS hdd straight into the TV if your 4K TV can do that video and use a video TV app or whatever it may have that plays 4K .if you can get or have KODI for the TV use that .

IF you have an 4KWCG + HDR ready TV like an Samsung SUHD or Sony Triluninous set some of these HDR clips are way over the top the 4K SDR (most of them) are good also
but some are not HDR 10 is always mixed results no guarantee it is even better than 4K SDR but it can be . .

eye candy link :
Demo UHD-3D - Ultra-HD / 4K / HDR / 3D

You Tube 4K downloads usually play from a hdd or flash drive better than VP9 steaming

For You tube (if you want ) Use a 4K You Tube downloaded that can read /convert & download 4K You tube to (2160p) or any YT resolution to MKV like this one .
YouTube to MP4 & MP3 Converter and Video Download -

Primo You Tube 4K eye candy either way

https://www.youtube.com/user/milosh9k/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/aroundtheworld4k/videos

More YT 4K :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4F-DMVCe-UbIsweL6kIEfg

Way cool let your pets watch it and get wild ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4F-DMVCe-UbIsweL6kIEfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zTGw9TpcKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXX2d82QpN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN85q5tXDLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9LF2yw9xYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HT4fqyUaUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTcnaCkSchk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koIjcep1I4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4_YeAP9lac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otP54vrpOJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUIR2QIx54

Anything can look great when your using a demo loop.

I could care less about that type of thing, show me what REAL TV looks like, ya know, the stuff you actually watch on a typical day.

I have the 2016 model of the Sony he mentioned in above post, I have yet to watch a single 4K, nor do I honestly have any desire. It's a 65 inch and HD looks amazing, I've seen the demo loops and they do look amazing but I've also seen 4K broadcast and to me, it looked horrid. After the masters I realized it's still a LONG LONG LONG way away from being the next big thing. I'm sure bluray 4K looks amazing but broadcast just isn't there for me yet to jump on any 4K train

I have the 2016 model of the Sony he mentioned in above post, I have yet to watch a single 4K, nor do I honestly have any desire. It's a 65 inch and HD looks amazing, I've seen the demo loops and they do look amazing but I've also seen 4K broadcast and to me, it looked horrid. After the masters I realized it's still a LONG LONG LONG way away from being the next big thing. I'm sure bluray 4K looks amazing but broadcast just isn't there for me yet to jump on any 4K train
I also feel, now is not the time to make the jump, unless your set dies of course, I'll gladly wait and see what the happens over the next year or so.
Still enjoying my 1080p Pioneer Elite.

I agree. I think if I ever get a 4k I would just let the 4k TV upconvert it. I don't think their would be anything on the 4k channels worth watching to justify upgrading to the Premier or Ultimate packages. I don't even think it would be worth it if they did a $10 a month 4k fee to watch the channels so you wouldn't have to upgrade to the Premier and Ultimate packages. The prime time shows aren't even in 1080p yet The only way I would upgrade to the next server would be if you could only get the new guide and maybe if it would do that rumored UVerseTV for bad weather backup. Maybe the current HD Servers and Boxes will get the same guide that the next server gets and if that's an all new guide?

Guess what came from FedEx today...I freakin' HR24!! Haha! The chick on the phone agreed that I would get an HR54 + a c61 for my 4K TV and she told me I wouldn't need a tech. This is freakin' insane. After 90 minutes on the phone the other night, I called today and got a guy who fixed the problem in 5 minutes after telling him what I've been through and a tech is coming out next Friday to install. This is the first time I've had to deal with the NEW DirecTv on the phone and I don't like it! I just hope everything works out next Friday so I don't have to deal with them on the phone.

Guess what came from FedEx today...I freakin' HR24!! Haha! The chick on the phone agreed that I would get an HR54 + a c61 for my 4K TV and she told me I wouldn't need a tech. This is freakin' insane. After 90 minutes on the phone the other night, I called today and got a guy who fixed the problem in 5 minutes after telling him what I've been through and a tech is coming out next Friday to install. This is the first time I've had to deal with the NEW DirecTv on the phone and I don't like it! I just hope everything works out next Friday so I don't have to deal with them on the phone.
Like you have been told before, this is the same people answering the phones that were before ATT.

Fwiw, as you've also been told, the HR54 requires a tech to come out to do the install ...
Therefore, when they didn't set up a tech visit the first time, you should have known something was not right.

Reactions: Hutch1814
This is why I have from day one got all my equipment from a dealer and never DirecTV. Yes I pay for it up front but when I wanted my HR44 I just went and got one hooked it up and called it in. That's it. When I want a HR54 I will do the same. No tech visit just hook it up swap out LNB and call it in.

This is why I have from day one got all my equipment from a dealer and never DirecTV. Yes I pay for it up front but when I wanted my HR44 I just went and got one hooked it up and called it in. That's it. When I want a HR54 I will do the same. No tech visit just hook it up swap out LNB and call it in.
That too is an option ....
I have gone that route before as well, get the recvr you want, hook it up and call in.
As long as your willing to pay the up front price.

Keep in mind for anyone doing this, the major majority are still leased and owned by D*.
Also, this does Not do away with the 2 yr commitment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts