CW feeds on 91

Status
Please reply by conversation.
BJ summed it up best here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1928584-post4.html

To add the "why" to what Ice responded, most muxes have a "PAT" (Program allocation table) at PID#0, and a "PMT" (program map table) for each channel. The PAT just tells your receiver what PIDs have the PMT streams. Each PMT contains the info for what PID contains the video, audio and PCR streams. For a receiver to scan in channels, it first finds the PAT, then the PMTs, then it creates channels with the PID info it finds in the PMTs.
The CW channels do not contain either a PAT or any PMTs. That transponder only has the A/V PIDs. So there is no way any receiver can figure out for itself which PIDs contain the A/V for each channel. That's why you have to use the manual PID entry method, ie the Advanced Scan, PID edit thing over at the bottom right on the Azbox.

I'm assuming they found it via TSReader

It was already posted on Lyngsat when I first found them :)

I think one of the guys with a spectrum analyzer picked it up. TSreader gets it's info from the PMT and PAT tables, also. Tsreader just displays the graph of the datastream, but no PID or program info. It might also have been an "inside" reporter who put the info on Lyngsat.
:)

weird...so the az box goes pcr/video/audio when entering pids?

normally it goes video/audio/pcr pid

I think one of the guys with a spectrum analyzer picked it up. TSreader gets it's info from the PMT and PAT tables, also. Tsreader just displays the graph of the datastream, but no PID or program info. It might also have been an "inside" reporter who put the info on Lyngsat.

No, you don't find hidden channels with a spectrum analyzer, that is just to find the transponder itself. TSREADER is the only way I know of for finding hidden channels like this. I've found literally hundreds of them over the years. They come and go. Recently, besides the CW stuff, I only know of 2 or 3 of them, but I've been too busy to look much recently.
Anyway, with TSREADER, it's pretty simple, although I'm doing this from memory, because my main PC is down right now. If you look at the graphical display on TSREADER, you can usually recognize the video streams due to their size. I usually have the graphical display in order of PID #, and the audio streams are usually smaller and either right before or right after the video.
As you mention above, TSREADER won't show hidden channels in the chart at the left, however if you run your mouse over the graphical display of the video streams, most will show you what that steam is, like mpeg video for channel 5, or something like that. However what you're looking for, is a video stream that TSREADER lists as "UNKNOWN" . THis means that this particular PID isn't listed in the PAT/PMT, etc. Usually before I assume that it's hidden video, I try the IP/DVB function of TSREADER, just to make sure that it isn't DATA of some sort.
If it shows up as not being data, then I use TSREADER to create a manual channel using the PID# of the unknown video and audio stream. Usually, you enter the vpid # for the PCR PID as well. TSREADER has a button where you can select mpeg2 video, mpeg audio or ac3 audio. If you suspect that the video is mpeg4 instead of mpeg2, then you manually enter &H1b for the video type.
After you have created the manual channel, it will show up in the chart at the left, and you have to wait until TSREADER processes the thumbprints in order to see if it is really a video channel.
It is a time consuming process, but often well worth the effort.

I tried to do the coolsat 4000 and 5000 steps on my Mercury ll and it didn't work. I guess it doesn't work for all receivers. I was able to enter the PIDS OK but I have other issues. I followed the steps on how to enter/save a new channel using the Mercury ii manual and for some odd reason when I enter the new channel on 91 W it came up with a different transponder and moved my dish at least 10dgs west. So what ever I'm doing is WRONG... what do I have to do to correct this?

The info for the Coolsat is ONLY for the Coolsat because it cant do a manual PID entry unless there are channels logged.

The Merc II is different. Hopefully someone with one can chime in

I tried to do the coolsat 4000 and 5000 steps on my Mercury ll and it didn't work. I guess it doesn't work for all receivers. I was able to enter the PIDS OK but I have other issues. I followed the steps on how to enter/save a new channel using the Mercury ii manual and for some odd reason when I enter the new channel on 91 W it came up with a different transponder and moved my dish at least 10dgs west. So what ever I'm doing is WRONG... what do I have to do to correct this?

I just added the mux to my Merc without any problem. Going to the ADD Channel screen, and filling in the fields worked fine for me. I'd suggest powering down the Merc II and trying again. Firmware 1.53 on the Merc.

Well , you need a null modem db9 -db9 cable, the uploader package from Download , and a PC with a serial port. And of course you need the software from the above site.

Connect the cable to the box, start the uploader package, find the file and click download. It should prompt you to turn on the stb.

I have done that. I have gotten as fas as to turn the STB on and when I do nothing happens. I also get a window on my computer that says can't find port 1. I have to find a USB cable with RS232 connector. Obviously I'm having some issues with my computer.

I updated the firmware on a merc 2 for a client a couple years ago. It was easy. Connected a null modem cable to com one and the STB and used Fortecs tools to do it. Went off with out a hitch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)