Cw Hd?

Arthope

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Northwest New Jersey
Any news on when or if Dish will be offering WB/UPN as locals in the New York area? I understand that the two will merge by fall and be CW; I guess Dish will wait till then to make a move. Anyway, this would make a decent additional HD offering.

Last edited:
I suspect they will offer more stations in HD once they get MPEG-4 encoders that can handle the load. Right now MPEG-4 real time encoders are new and not very good. They are only able to put 4 channels on a single transponder. I suspect the eventual goal is 6 channels/TP.

the number of HD hours of UPN and WB pale in comparison to ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX, which is probably why they don't care about carrying them

What is CW? All I can think of is Continuous Wave (Morse Code):confused:

First of all, WB has plenty of HD. You're right that UPN has little. Since CBS is a HD leader (too bad I watch NOTHING on CBS), I would guess that CW will carry a majority of their programming in HD. Also, it appears that in most cities, the WB affiliate will be switching CW, and in most cases the WB affiliates are better equipped- many UPN affiliates don't even have HD capability. WB fought their way up to where Fox was 5 or 6 years ago, but UPN never really got out of the starting block.

If you look at the channel spacing on the current HD-LILs, there are 6 channels allocated for each city. They channels were mapped right before the CW plans were made public. My guess is the eventual plans are to add CW and PBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts