CW Network?

sratson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
North Wales, PA, USA
Has there been any talk of picking up the CW Network when it comes out? Since they can now get 2 for the price of one I figure that now they should look at finally picking up the last network, beside PBS.. which I guess is a whole nother can of worms..

garys said:
E* already carries a lot of the stations which will become CW. Many are currently WB's and the rest are UPN's. It depends on the market. E* is not expected to drop these channels when they become CW's.

I think he was referring to the HD version of CW. So each market with HD locals would have 5 HD channels instead of four.

jimboeau said:
I think he was referring to the HD version of CW. So each market with HD locals would have 5 HD channels instead of four.

He didn't state HD, so I didn't take that into my response since CW won't be in exsistance till Sept. That may depend more on the local markets more than anything else. My market (NY) should be a no brainer since both the UPN and WB (the WB will be CW) are both broadcasting in HD, so one would hope it would be added if it hasn't been before the changeover. Other markets such as Wilkes Barre, where I used to be in does not have a UPN and it's WB is up in digital, but not HD. That may be more of an indicator of it being added in HD since it is not in HD and the sd signal is digital - so why add it in HD?

he posted it in the HD forum.

But my opinion and I agree with dish, is to not waste the bandwidth with CW UPN/WB because the number of hours they provide in HD is so few it's pointless. Plus when it is in HD, they are always ranked behind the other networks dish is carrying.

BFG: thanks for stating the obvious.. we are in the HD forum, and yes that is what I was speaking of. The bandwidth issue was the reason I figured they were waiting for the CW merger, and although there is really only one show (Smallville) I watch on UPN, it is great in High Def and I was just wondering when I won't need to worry about whether or not I can pull in the OTA signal when I set it up to record..

sratson said:
BFG: thanks for stating the obvious.. we are in the HD forum, and yes that is what I was speaking of. The bandwidth issue was the reason I figured they were waiting for the CW merger, and although there is really only one show (Smallville) I watch on UPN, it is great in High Def and I was just wondering when I won't need to worry about whether or not I can pull in the OTA signal when I set it up to record..

Smallville is on The WB. I do not have either WB or UPN available to me in HD. I do watch Smallville in HD on HDNet. Too bad it's a season later. When CW starts up, they are to be a full fledged network, so E* may add in Sept. (Keeping fingers crossed).

garys said:
When CW starts up, they are to be a full fledged network, so E* may add in Sept. (Keeping fingers crossed).

I seriously doubt that they will carry it. Neither DBS vendor carries the HD feed of PBS (which has some really good programs). Why would you think that they would carry CW (a combo of UPN and WB) which, I am sure, will carry mainly mediocre programs?

Likely, the only way to pick up the HD feed of CW will be by getting one of their OTA affiliates that has a HD feed. In my market, Cincinnati, NO ONE has committed to pick up CW (yet).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)