CW on Galaxy 17 gone scrambled???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually, no money is spent on scrambling. Most of the encoders and decoders allready have the feature built in and its a matter of a flip of the switch.

Not true. For the proprietary types of encryption (I.E. the publicly unbroken encryption used for 24/7 networks like the type CW Plus is using...) it requires special receivers for the uplink and all the downlinks and these cost a good deal of money.

It's only the free, weaker type of encryption like BISS that is built into all of these and is free to use.

I imagine that the networks have to pay license fees to Scientific Atlanta to use their PowerVu and Motorola to use DCII, etc. in addition to paying for their expensive proprietary receivers, where as an ITC or BISS feed can use whatever cheap little receivers the company can find without need to pay any license fees.

This really sux then. I guess no more Steve Wilkos Show for me then, my fav show as of late. Other than that show, never did watch much on CW to begin with. I was watching King of Queens for a spell, but eventually tired of it.

Not true. For the proprietary types of encryption (I.E. the publicly unbroken encryption used for 24/7 networks like the type CW Plus is using...) it requires special receivers for the uplink and all the downlinks and these cost a good deal of money.
Agree.
The cost of 'locking out' a few who depend on FTA for it doesn't justify the expense [IMB]. Yeah, it's OTA here on a subchannel that is so bit starved a weak snowy analog signal would be more watchable.

If scrambleing is such a cheap and easy thing to do i would think that FTA would of bit the dust years ago.

That's a good point IMO. And as far as CW goes, that's not even a major network to begin with, is it? You would think they would want viewers any way they could get them. I have no clue how many folks that watched this network, relied solely on FTA in order to do so. I don't know if it was in the hundreds, or if it was in the thousands, but if it is the latter, then I'm confused as to why the CW wouldn't think the loss of thousands of viewers was no big deal or anything.
Speaking for myself, I can't pick this up OTA. Plus I have no interest in subscribing to Cable or Pizza, since I don't have extra money to burn on things like that in this bad economy.

Definitely in the hundreds who would've watched this regularly, probably fewer than 5,000 people who have ever tuned into it at a private residence...

There's very few C band antennas remaining at private residences and of these an even smaller fraction are in use, and of those, an even smaller fraction of that fraction are in use by people who know there's other things to watch on C band than the 4DTV stuff, and of those an even smaller fraction of that fraction of a fraction who even knows about this feed being on G17 and bother to tune into it.

So the CW has dropped thousands of dollars for receivers at the uplink and every cable headend and affiliate so that they can handle this type of encryption so a few hundred people can no longer watch their network regularly and see their ads. Most of those people probably wouldn't bother tuning into this feed if they could get the CW in their area, and we know most people are incompetent and care little about improved picture quality by watching the source feed vs. watching the degraded quality but easier option on cable. I doubt losing the CW Plus will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and forces them to subscribe to cable either if they're only watching because they don't have cable.

With these kinds of business decisions is it any wonder the CW are in last place?

Im surprised that the broadcast industry hasn't tried to scramble over the air transmissions yet! All those greedy signal stealing OTA viewers should be punished too LOL. Scrambling is a joke anyways!! You pay to get an unscrambled signal and Still Have to sit through all the commercials.PS! I also believe that scrambling is to protect the satellite and cable industries and there monopolies.

Last edited:
You pay to get an unscrambled signal and Still Have to sit through all the commercials.PS!

Obviously the more viewers a show has, the more someone will want to advertise their products during that show. I would also think it would cost someone to advertise their products during a top rated show considerably more than if they advertised it during something like the reruns of Hogan's Heroes or something. Hopefully I don't offend anyone reading, but only an idiot would actually watch the commercials to begin with. Usually when commercials start up, that means you have 10 or 15 minutes to kill lol, such as going and getting another beer or two, raiding the fridge, taking the dog out for a fast walk, having a quickie with the wife, so on and so on. So I have no clue who these advertisers think are watching their ads to begin with, since most folks leave the viewing area when ads start up, or if not, most of them have enough sense to check out other channels in the meantime where there are no ads playing.

Obviously the more viewers a show has, the more someone will want to advertise their products during that show. I would also think it would cost someone to advertise their products during a top rated show considerably more than if they advertised it during something like the reruns of Hogan's Heroes or something. Hopefully I don't offend anyone reading, but only an idiot would actually watch the commercials to begin with. Usually when commercials start up, that means you have 10 or 15 minutes to kill lol, such as going and getting another beer or two, raiding the fridge, taking the dog out for a fast walk, having a quickie with the wife, so on and so on. So I have no clue who these advertisers think are watching their ads to begin with, since most folks leave the viewing area when ads start up, or if not, most of them have enough sense to check out other channels in the meantime where there are no ads playing.
I also dont really watch the commercials except maybe during the superball but what really stinks is that all the old tv shows you watch now get gutted to fit in all the commercials you dont want to see and new shows keep getting shorter and shorter.Someday you might here! we will get back to the commercials after a short tv show break :mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)