Cyberhome AC3 Headphone Wire Colors

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
I hunted around and found an e-mail I sent to another member on cutting into the Cyberhome headphone cable to use the inline amplifier. This will give you more level to your AV system or tv.

> In case you get the nerve up to cut into the headphone cord, I just opened
> up my splice and looked at the wires you will need. This will save you
> some time tracing out and experimenting. Of course the cord is double
> cord, one for left, one for right. Split it apart and strip off outer
> jacket. Inside you will find four bundles of colored hair wire. They have
> very thin insulation on each hair and you can burn thru the insulation by
> "tinning" the end of each bundle. This is six channel audio, you only need
> two, the others are unused by the sat audio. 1st cord...
> red - unused
> green - unused
> red/green - left audio
> gold - shield or ground
>
> 2nd cord...
> red - unused
> green - unused
> red/gold - right audio
> gold - shield or ground
>
> Jim

Use the volume control on the decoder to boost the level to match your normal tv audio. Standard sat audio passes thru automatically so you don't have to switch back between AC3 and standard.

You can buy these off of Amazon for less than $20.
Amazon.com: Cyberhome CH-SRD 600R 6-channel Surround Headphones with Game Decoder: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31s7uUYDl8L.@@AMEPARAM@@31s7uUYDl8L

Last edited:
Sky,

I remember you encouraging me to post it for others. I didn't think it was a big deal, but the guys were talking about low AC3 audio today in another thread.

Jim

Nice project, but I'd rather not mutilate the headphones. Maybe just some minor adaptive surgery... Perhaps an inline tap after the volume control is in order... :eureka:

There is a push-button level control on the Cyberhome decoder unit itself, but it resets every time you power off.

Nice project, but I'd rather not mutilate the headphones. Maybe just some minor adaptive surgery... Perhaps an inline tap after the volume control is in order... :eureka:

There is a push-button level control on the Cyberhome decoder unit itself, but it resets every time you power off.

I never shut mine off, and the battery holds the volume setting if there is a power bump.

If you like the headphones and are reluctant to cut the cable, just buy a second Cyberhome. At $17 it's still cheaper than buying a stereo preamp $70-100.

Jim

Tron,
I was like you, didn't want to mess up the headphones, so I desoldered the cable inside the headphones and hooked it up. Did it that way so I could reuse the phones if I ever wanted to, but after seeing how cheap-made they really are, I bit the bullet and cut the cord, soldering it to rca plugs. Glad I did, works great, full volume, just like Tantalus said. Got enough junk like those cheap phones laying around now, so I just saved the tiny little speaker components and threw the rest of the cheap plastic away.
SS

I might just sacrifice a set of headphones. The audio level is so low sometimes that I have to turn off the A/C while I'm listening to something. When I'm recording from the NASA mux, I always set the receivers to AC-3, even though there is a MPEG audio stream as well. I do this because Blu-Ray has no option to use MPEG audio, and the recordings I make are going directly to recordable Blu-Rays. I know I can transcode, but why bother, when the AC-3 stream is already there for the taking? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts