Cylindrical Parabolic Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I was driving around the other day and I saw an unusual dish. I didn't have anything to take a picture with, so I tried drawing it with Windows Paint. I believe it is called a cylindrical parabolic dish. Does anyone know what these dishes are used for?

Attachments

• cylindrical dish.JPG
    cylindrical dish.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 113
How big was it?.........Did it look like this one in the pic?

It looked pretty much like the one in the picture. It was beside what looked like a 4 ft prime focus dish on top of a store, so I'd estimate about 3-4 ft wide, and about 1 ft tall. The only difference was that it looked to have some type of lnb rather than the curved antenna in your picture.

This dish is actually parabolic, and around 4' wide.
It's used for two-way satellite communications.
This one is on a current gas station, and was installed recently.
I believe the particular dish is made by Prodelin.

The round dish to the rear is an Andrew (Primestar-identical) commercial dish of about 1 meter (?)

Attachments

• GasStationPICT4470.jpg
    GasStationPICT4470.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 156
That's it. Almost identical. It's hard to think that the one dimensional parabola would receive enough signal for satellite communications though. Must be a pretty powerful satellite.

Almost all of the gas stations on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersy have the two dishes. Similar to the picture that Anole posted. Iwish I knew what satellite the are pointing to. A lot of the Luk oil station have that type of dish here in NJ.

optical illusion:

It really is curved top to bottom.
Think of a four foot dish, with a slice about a foot high taken out of the middle (top and bottom are gone).
The slight amount of curve is hard to see, but I assure you it is a slice of a parabola! :)
All the energy of the height of the dish is focused onto a feedhorn about four inches high.
Below is a picture of something similar (not the real deal) to show what I'm talking about.
Just don't have a good close up of the feed on the dish I posted above. :)

edit:
The four foot width, gathers lots of signal from the desired satellite, and suppresses signals from adjacent birds.
So, for all intents and purposes, it works as well in this application, as a big four foot round dish would.

Attachments

• PICT4406crop1268x1352.jpg
    PICT4406crop1268x1352.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 126
14karat, sorry to read about the dish.. Was your son driving the tractor at night when he mowed down your 10' ?

Last edited:
There are many of these around the New Orleans area. I know of one on a Speedy Oil and Filter change drive-thru and another in the parking lot of a Best Western hotel, but there are plenty more around. I would imagine that they have reception characteristics similar to those of elliptical dishes such as the 84e.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts