D* announces 14 more HD-LIL markets, and there are some suprises.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well... I am in the Grand Rapids, MI DMA. When Directv planned on rolling out HD locals and announced their plan I was banking on this summer of fall. So no surprise for me. I feel sorry for the folks who are before Reno, and won't get them soon.

Questioner said:
No, some of the cities in the current group are still scheduled for May or June:

Atlanta November 22, 2005
Milwaukee May 2006
Baltimore June 2006
Minneapolis April 19, 2006
Birmingham April 19, 2006
Nashville April 19, 2006
Boston December 8, 2005
New York since 2003
Charlotte June 2006
Orlando June 2006
Chicago November 22, 2005
Philadelphia November 22, 2005
Cleveland June 2006
Phoenix May 2006
Columbus- not CBS April 19, 2006
Pittsburgh April 19, 2006
Dallas- not ABC December 8, 2005
Raleigh J June 2006
Denver June 2006
Sacramento- not FOX April 19, 2006
Detroit October 20, 2005
St. Louis May 2006
Fresno May 2006
Salt Lake City May 2006
Hartford June 2006
San Antonio June 2006
Houston- not CBS December 8, 2005
San Diego- not CBS, FOX April 19, 2006
Indianapolis June 2006
San Francisco November 22, 2005
Kansas City April 19, 2006
Seattle June 2006
Los Angeles since 2003
Tampa. December 8, 2005
Miami June 2006
Washington, D.C. December 8, 2005
W. Palm Beach June 2006

Is San Diego the only city that doesn't 2 of the top 4?

vgsantiago said:
Is San Diego the only city that doesn't 2 of the top 4?

You need to call those affiliates directly, ask what the hold up is, and mention they need to get a deal done.

no list....where they cut off the last one and they were following the dma pretty close ...so I guess was just taking for granted that we would make the next cut ..but what the heck do I know I am a newbe and thought that okc would be a good market for them...

Hey I am shocked Hartford made it in top 30. We got severely dissed when they rolled out SD channels. When we landed it was on 119 and years after much smaller markets. Anyhow, that now doesnt matter as I have HD antenna. Weird how it all came full circle.

Sorry, I meant to say the roll out list not just the DMA ranking list. They have not been seen on a roll out list.

OK, some people need to read more carefully.

"By June of this year, DIRECTV will have activated local HD programming in 16 more previously announced markets for a total of 36 markets,"

20 already lit
16 in june
14 newly announced.

total=50 by year's end!

:up

Mines coming in June. Can't wait!

Anyone noticed on that page it mentions "purchase a DIRECTV HD Receiver" on it?

D* said:
Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing the new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations. DIRECTV is offering new customers who purchase a DIRECTV HD receiver a $100 mail-in rebate. (Limit one rebate per customer.) Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City, and through DIRECTV. Existing customers are eligible for a $99 upgrade to the new H20 receiver and dish, plus $99 for each additional HD receiver.

moonman said:
DirecTv names 14 new markets today 5/2/06
http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=850780&highlight=
-- Cincinnati -- Madison, Wis.
-- Austin, Texas -- Memphis, Tenn.
-- Albuquerque, N.M. -- Portland, Maine
-- Grand Rapids, Mich. -- Portland, Ore.
-- Green Bay, Wis. -- Providence, R.I.
-- Greensboro, N.C. -- Reno, Nev.
-- Las Vegas -- San Antonio
rollout by Q-3

joedekock said:
Well... I am in the Grand Rapids, MI DMA. When Directv planned on rolling out HD locals and announced their plan I was banking on this summer of fall. So no surprise for me. I feel sorry for the folks who are before Reno, and won't get them soon.

I hope WWMT plays nice and allows re-transmission consent..

It only takes one channel in a market to cause the market to not get launched or delayed. DirecTv/Dish will just move on to the next market. Maybe it is spotbeams and the ones that give them the best deal. Do they have to pay additional monies for the HD feed of those local stations in addition to the SD feed?

sparker said:
I hope WWMT plays nice and allows re-transmission consent..

I know... that is the only channel I cannot pull in with my antenna. After hearing all the struggles that Comcast and Charter have with them on re-transitting it, I am weary about D* pulling it off. However, I did read in the Charter forum last week that someone in SW Michigan who has Charter was picking it up with his tuner that looks for channels in the 80-120's range. So charter may be testing the signal on their lines right now, which means WWMT may have inked a deal with them to re-transmit! Let's hope they can do the same with D*.

Miami, Fort. Lauderdale, West Palm and Orlando will be getting HD-Lil right about the start of hurricane season. For D*'s sake, I hope that they won't be installing a bunch of these new dishes in vain. Hurricane Wilma ripped the dish right off my South Florida home last year and the local D* installers were scrambling for weeks to get people down here back up and running. (While my wife was worried about roof damage, water leaks and ruined landsaping, I was busy crying about the loss of my precious satellite dish . . . and the NFL Sunday Ticket right in the middle of football season!!!!).

I'm not suggesting that D* not do these Florida markets on the chance that we will get hit again this year. But, given the battering this area has taken the last couple of years, its not necessarily an unwise move to wait four or five months either. In any event, until the new HD-DVR gets released, I won't be ugrading anyway.

elephant98 said:
Miami, Fort. Lauderdale, West Palm and Orlando will be getting HD-Lil right about the start of hurricane season.
I'm not suggesting that D* not do these Florida markets on the chance that we will get hit again this year. But, given the battering this area has taken the last couple of years, its not necessarily an unwise move to wait four or five months either. In any event, until the new HD-DVR gets released, I won't be ugrading anyway.
---------------------
I hope that these storms do not factor in any way with the rollout decisions.....
D* has always in the past history of these things(when the area was declared a
disaster area) to repair/replace the dish without cost to me. The fact that a certain
area where you live, should IMO have no factor on who gets what first, or be a cause to receive it later than others, due to an act of God.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)