D* appaluds introduction of new video deregulation bill.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The ramifications of this bill are NOT good. This, in the end, will only benefit the giant mega-corps and screw the truly independent operators out there. It will also KILL local origination programming that "no one" watches, but people call and complain when they can't see it.

I would like to get my DMA locals free of charge. (For me, it's Detroit, Michigan.)

And then I would like to have access, through DirecTV, of subscribing to the locals of another DMA. (I choose Denver, Colorado.)

In my local DMA, the broadcaster of FOX said they have no plans of EVER changing over to HD and basically told me I am lucky that I even have FOX. I requested a waiver. They denied it immediately. I requested an HD waiver. They denied that immediately too. I explained that they were sticking me with an inferior product (i.e. SD football on a 50" screen) which can easily be had via satellite if a waiver was granted. They laughed.

I "moved."

If my local broadcaster folds, because of a bill that allows SV and National feeds to compete in my market - so be it. Because they have a monopoly in this DMA, they have no impetus to upgrade their equipment. They offer a take it or leave it approach (the CBS channel's sound is in Dolby 2.0 and they have no plans to upgrade that equipment either.)

Any bill that would stick it to the station owners who act like Kings in their DoMAin, is a bill I'd love to see passed.

I would like to see it pass too. I know this is a D* forum but where we live Dish does not provide locals in HD and my OTA antenna is only good for 3 of the 4 locals and only really at night (I need to do some adjusting). The local cable company provides both local and Dallas locals. I would love to get Dallas locals along with our current ones.

In my local DMA, the broadcaster of FOX said they have no plans of EVER changing over to HD and basically told me I am lucky that I even have FOX. I requested a waiver. They denied it immediately. I requested an HD waiver. They denied that immediately too. I explained that they were sticking me with an inferior product (i.e. SD football on a 50" screen) which can easily be had via satellite if a waiver was granted. They laughed.

I "moved."

If my local broadcaster folds, because of a bill that allows SV and National feeds to compete in my market - so be it. Because they have a monopoly in this DMA, they have no impetus to upgrade their equipment. They offer a take it or leave it approach (the CBS channel's sound is in Dolby 2.0 and they have no plans to upgrade that equipment either.)

Any bill that would stick it to the station owners who act like Kings in their DoMAin, is a bill I'd love to see passed.

its these exact affiliates that should be drummed out!! even tho I think the entire affiliate model needs to go by the way side.

its these exact affiliates that should be drummed out!! even tho I think the entire affiliate model needs to go by the way side.

Agreed. I don't see a reason why the Big 4 can't switch to a basic cable type of model for broadcasting where it would basically be network programming 24/7 and not having to switch back and forth between network time and affiliate time. And for people out there that say no because of the syndicated talk shows or local news, the broadcasters can pick and choose what syndicated shows they want to air and as for local news, well, I guess they can let the so-called affiliates in this case give them air time for local news at certain times such as 5pm, 11pm, and 6am.

In my local DMA, the broadcaster of FOX said they have no plans of EVER changing over to HD and basically told me I am lucky that I even have FOX.

Which FOX station are you referring to?

Agreed. I don't see a reason why the Big 4 can't switch to a basic cable type of model for broadcasting where it would basically be network programming 24/7 and not having to switch back and forth between network time and affiliate time. And for people out there that say no because of the syndicated talk shows or local news, the broadcasters can pick and choose what syndicated shows they want to air and as for local news, well, I guess they can let the so-called affiliates in this case give them air time for local news at certain times such as 5pm, 11pm, and 6am.

agree, I have an old post on here somewhere about why I think the networks should just take over basically (to long to re-type it here but if I happen on it I will copy it). local news, sports and weather can be placed on internet, radio, in the paper or on local access if people need it.

I would like to see it pass too. I know this is a D* forum but where we live Dish does not provide locals in HD and my OTA antenna is only good for 3 of the 4 locals and only really at night (I need to do some adjusting). The local cable company provides both local and Dallas locals. I would love to get Dallas locals along with our current ones.
From what I've read, I am mixed on this bill. The removal of limits as to how many radio stations a single company can own in a given market has helped to kill radio.

It's also taken away local radio news in small markets. I saw a story about this on television. It had to do with a small town where there used to be local news but Clear Channel had bought all of the local stations, and they were run from a command center out of town. There was a train derailment and some kind of poisonous gas was leaking. There was no local news to inform residents as to what was going on.

What kills me about the current setup with TV networks is that DBS providers don't get to play by the same rules as cable companies. DirecTV has my sister's address in Houston as my address, and I get my "real" locals OTA. This is due in large part because my wife was born and raised in Houston and has watched KTRK news her entire life. That station is on our local cable, but I have to lie about my address to get it through DirecTV. It's crazy.

That sucks. Is the Fox 480i widescreen or 4x3?
Down the road from me is Mankato, MN...another 1 station market (CBS & Fox subchannel). Directv just added the Fox channel a month or so ago.They've had CBS for 6 years now but gave them the rest of the nets from Minneapolis (Fox wasnt added OTA until mid 07). So when they added it it is only in SD (as the station is 480i widescreen). The CBS station on their news had an article that the "HD" feed isnt carried and to call Directv and request they carry Fox in "HD". Only issue is its not HD. Its 480i widescreen.

I "moved."
small markets like that movers are more common

satellite should have the same rules as cable for SV. Mankato has 2 CBS, 2 ABC, 2 Fox and 1 NBC on cable. Only CBS & Fox would be "local".

From what I've read, I am mixed on this bill. The removal of limits as to how many radio stations a single company can own in a given market has helped to kill radio..

I am more a believer that too many ads, too much talk and music censorship are what have killed radio; more like a suicide and till they can correct these basic issues they will remain dead.

I am more a believer that too many ads, too much talk and music censorship are what have killed radio; more like a suicide and till they can correct these basic issues they will remain dead.

That is a direct outgrowth of the larger companies killing radio. No one CLAIMS to like government regulation, but in reality it is what keeps the marketplace from being the wild west! It protects consumers, providers and attempts to keep some local control over electronic media. The reason for the ownership caps placed in 1934 still exists today. But big money talks and we all suffer for it! This bill is no different. It will KILL anything that is left of localism in TV and cable TV. It will destroy non-profit stations, small stations, and truly independent channels (both cable and ota). This is a BAD bill for everyone, but it has a sweet and tempting outer shell.

From what I've read, I am mixed on this bill. The removal of limits as to how many radio stations a single company can own in a given market has helped to kill radio.

It's also taken away local radio news in small markets. I saw a story about this on television. It had to do with a small town where there used to be local news but Clear Channel had bought all of the local stations, and they were run from a command center out of town. There was a train derailment and some kind of poisonous gas was leaking. There was no local news to inform residents as to what was going on.

It happened in Minot North Dakota January 18 2002, because of station consolidation and the result of stations running automated...none of the local stations were able to air the disaster live.

Minot train derailment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"As a result of the confusion, no formal emergency warnings were issued for several hours while Minot officials located station managers at home. The incident has been cited as an example of the physical dangers of media consolidation and the currently prevalent cost-cutting measure of not keeping overnight staff at stations. Even without activation of the Emergency Alert System, a live announcer would still have been able to warn citizens of the emergency via the traditional means of the broadcast signal and an on-air microphone. As local stations were running in automated mode, there was nobody on-site to interrupt programming and issue warnings concerning the disaster"

The reason for the ownership caps placed in 1934 still exists today.
and yet companies have been circumventing it for that many years

Great example is Duluth, MN where I use to live. They are a 5 station market. The Big 4 + PBS.
A few years ago the CBS station was sold to a company nobody heard of. They were "brand new" company. They bought the station, turn around and gave the keys to the NBC affiliate, said "have fun" and closed down the CBS building. FCC rules say you cannot own more than one of the Big4 stations in a market. So the NBC (Granite Broadcasting) circumvented his and either created a shell company or paid someone to buy the station for them.

They did the exact same thing in Ft Wayne, Indiana. In fact these are the only two stations they own

On March 8, 2005, Malara Broadcast Group entered into a credit agreement with Granite Broadcasting Corporation. This agreement gave Malara Broadcasting $48.5 million and a revolving credit line of $5 million, which it used to purchase KDLH (from former owner New Vision Television) and WPTA, from Granite. In addition to this agreement, Malara also entered into a second agreement with Granite, under which Granite would operate, promote, and sell advertising for the two Malara stations. This is known as a local marketing agreement.

hmm...give me a bunch of money to buy 2 stations then I'll turn around and let you run them. Interesting.....

That sucks. Is the Fox 480i widescreen or 4x3?

It's in "glorious" 4x3.

They have a laundry list of reasons why they won't offer it in HD, starting with the fact that they don't have an HD contract with Fox. Secondly, even if they did have said contract they don't have an OTA FCC license to broadcast both channels in HD because of mandated bandwidth limitations thus getting a contract for the HD feed would not be cost effective. Thirdly, they don't have the equipment to uplink in HD. Finally, no one (i.e. Dish, Time Warner, DirecTV) has even asked them for the HD feed.

In parting, they said I should be happy that Fox is no longer an analog channel. ;)

I hate Clear Channel and the rest of Corporate radio. The Local stations have a play list from Corporate and not much else gets of the radio. Cleared play lists started 20 years ago and have ruined Radio. The DJ just plays the songs on the list, what happened to having personal choices from DJ's on the music played. Heck, even Satellite radio does the same thing. Years and years ago a DJ started his/her show and played their choices, RADIO was killed by corporations.

John

and yet companies have been circumventing it for that many years
Absolutely, but that came only after the first round of rules relaxation. The original ownership caps 7-7-7 + no ownership of print media in the same market as electronic media, included a ban on ANY type of control over the stations/paper. In the early 80s things were relaxed to allow management deals to begin to circumvent the ownership caps. And BTW, this is also the reason why station prices have skyrocketed! The demand to buy and control the planet has increased so the value of the stations was artificially inflated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)