D* Best Customer offer??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

free-1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I just received an e-mail from D* offering me a "free" DVR for being a loyal/best customer. Sound great??? Well, it's for a "reconditioned 40G Directv DVR w/Tivo capabilites" from last years stock. I'm now sure "someone up there loves me" with this offer. But I wonder, if they take a look at my current account the would/should have noticed that I just upgraded to 5LNB dish with the H20 HD box. Thanks for the offer but offer me something I can use like.........more HD programs, or a discout on the new HR20-250 HD/DVR. Then I'll be certain "someone up there loves me............, at Directv:cool: :D :cool:

I took the offer, and at the end of the order process, it required me to schedule an install. I called DirecTV, and the CSR said that "Advanced equipment REQUIRES a technician to install". Now, I've been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years, and I've NEVER had anyone install my equipment except myself. I refused to take a 1/2 days vacation to swap out a standard receiver with a DVR. I cancelled the order.

Best customer my butt! If this is how they treat their "BEST" customers, I would hate to see how the others are treated!

kryten98371 said:
I took the offer, and at the end of the order process, it required me to schedule an install. I called DirecTV, and the CSR said that "Advanced equipment REQUIRES a technician to install". Now, I've been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years, and I've NEVER had anyone install my equipment except myself. I refused to take a 1/2 days vacation to swap out a standard receiver with a DVR. I cancelled the order.

Best customer my butt! If this is how they treat their "BEST" customers, I would hate to see how the others are treated!
When I just got my H20 (I didn't get the dish due to snow, and the installer saying there is no point to get it until the Summer because he's going to have to revisit a lot of places to fix the installs since you can not get a signal on one of the sats), they would NOT just send me the H20 which is all I really wanted because my DST3000 was dying. She told me Refurbished I can send, new I need a tech to do it.

It seems to be a policy.

kryten98371 said:

I took the offer, too, but scheduled the install for a Saturday so I won't have to miss work. However, I plan on installing the receiver myself when I get it, then calling to activate the receiver and cancel my installation appointment. It's ridiculous that they make you schedule the appointment.

I just recieved the email too.. I will try too get them to ship it - thats insane for a tech have to come out for a tivo if I dont want them to

jim

mcaldero said:
I took the offer, too, but scheduled the install for a Saturday so I won't have to miss work. However, I plan on installing the receiver myself when I get it, then calling to activate the receiver and cancel my installation appointment. It's ridiculous that they make you schedule the appointment.
In my case, of course this was with an H20, not the DVR you guys are talking about, the installer brought it with him.

Also, keep in mind, if you need a multiswitch or someone to run the extra line, you want to let the installer do it. They'll do it for free.

one thing I just thought about.. with the lease program coming on line in march - this is not really a "good" deal.. just the ability to get an extra tivo dvr..

jim tressler said:
I just recieved the email too.. I will try too get them to ship it - thats insane for a tech have to come out for a tivo if I dont want them to

jim

all leased eq will be installed by the techs as of 3.1.06 period.

I didn't get the emails or the pricing updates either. I know I pay my bill on time, how come I am not a "Best Customer"? Are they selective with their customers?

I never get the offers either and I always overpay my bill by a few dollars so I usually have a credit balance.

I guess I don't get these offers because I hold their feet to the fire every time the uplink center screws up on sporting events. In essence, I call and bitch too much!

kryten98371 said:
...the CSR said that "Advanced equipment REQUIRES a technician to install".

The 40G Tivo is hardly advanced equipment. But I believe the HR10-250 is. It requires a two year, advanced equipment commitment. I can go to Best Buy, bring it home and... NOT connect it? I want to get another HR10-250 before March 1st but not if I have to pay for installation. Please tell me they are referring to dish installs.

Last edited:
I have a question. If you order online do you choose an install appointment, I just ordered it over the phone so i could get both DVR and HD receiver for free but they told me they had no dates open in the next 3 weeks. I waited 48 hours for them to call and schedule an appointment then I called back tonight and they said they had no openings yet. I'm about ready to cancel that order and order online if i can set up an an install appointment that way. Or maybe I'll just go with comcast.

I received the offer yesterday via email, but have no interest in it. Offer was good until the end of Feb, 2/28/06! D* really trying to get rid of their MPEG-2 stuff I guess.

I got a similar offer via email yesterday. I already have an HR10-250 HD DVR in the living room on my HDTV and would consider putting this standard DVR in the bedroom. But, I also have a couple of questions:

(1) Will I have to pay an additional DVR service fee each month? In other words, do you have to pay a DVR service fee for each DVR, or is it one fee for the whole household? (I currently don't pay a DVR fee because I have total choice platinum).

(2) Sometime this year, I will likely be forced to get the new 5 lnb dish and a new HD DVR to go with it. Does this mean that I would also have to get a new standard DVR too, and will it be replaced for free?

Tom J said:
Please tell me they are referring to dish installs.

This has nothing to do with the dish. I already have the 3 LNB dish and the 5X8 multiswitch, with 2 cables running into the location where I was going to put the DVR. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to plug in a DVR.

Can't get it to work

Well, I got the e-mail offer, but I can't get it to work. I get all the way to the final page and then click "purchase", at which point I get a system error message.

I called customer service and was told they can't take the order over the phone because it's a web only offer. I've been trying to get the order to go through for the last two days and can't make it work.

Anyone else have this problem?

I would like to know what D* considers a "Best Customer". I have been with D* since '99, I spend about $80.00 a month for their service, Pay my bills on time (well, most of the time) I dont call them to bitch or complain very often. So whats the Deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts