D* coming to install tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpos

Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
I have D* coming to install our first dish tomorrow. I went with the Directivo deal and I am hoping that the switch from cable will be a good one.

My question: I've read many threads on this board about installations and the techs etc. I just want to be doubly prepared when the installers get here that I have all of my questions and concerns ready. What should I be watching for and what questions should I ask. Also, I have a specific side of the house that I want the dish installed on (faces the correct direction). The problem is that the rooms that will be connected are on the other side of the house so the installers are going to have to wire through the attic. Anyone have problems with installers not putting the dish where they wanted?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I really want this to go well.

Thanks in advance!!

If it's a dual lnb with a multiswitch exposed on the outside, make sure they put in a drip loop, this should cost nothing to you extra, it's supposed to be part of the install. If they drill holes, make sure they have the wall grommets/sealant to keep them from leaking in drafts/water.

If it is a dual lnb, you might want to install yourself a weather-proof box near where the dish and switch will go so they can use that as the place to put the switch and grounding block (make sure there is a grounding block put in btw).

If you are getting HD, then you will have a 3lnb dish, in which case you can probably ignore the drip loop and weather-proof box advice, as the switch is built-in(unless you want the grounding block weather protected).

Make sure and run a signal meter test (on the receiver) before you sign anything after install, if the signals aren't in the mid-to high 90s (assuming you have a perfect line of sight for the dish), then don't let him leave until they are.

And based on advice seen on this forum: If the guy asks to borrow a ladder and/or doesn't have a ladder, ask him to leave, and get a new installer.

1st off the gromets aren't really intended for outdoor use but thats another story. If I were to come out to do the install for you I would charge you for a custom install.I am not sure where the area is you want it installed in relation to the grounding source but if I hadto run extra cable because you want it a specific way it's a custom install. All that aside I NEVER went in an attic for free. Too hot, nasty, dangerous, filled with insulation to do for free. Maybe you'll get someone who signed a contract that says they can't charge a customer for these things. Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts