D* DMA's are crazy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jhamps10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
Flora, IL
pardon my meanness towards d* but this is down right DUMB!!! I e-mailed d* about why I can't get locals in my home town, flora, il clay county, il. the nielsen DMA maps has me in the ST. LOUIS dma, but d* seems to believe that clay county, IL is in the terre haute DMA. There slogan somebody up there loves you is totally dumb. I don't like E* now cause they took OLN away, and our cable doesn't offer OLN. D* you stink. Get some updated DMA listings.

Anyone else in this same perigment.

They are NOT DirecTV's DMAs they are set by the affiliates/NAB and the FCC. DirecTV is required by LAW to give you channels based on your service zip. Complain to them.

Dish has you in the STL DMA :)

But yes, my county (Aitkin County, MN) use to be in the Duluth, MN DMA and now we're in the Minnespolis DMA

charper1 said:
They are NOT DirecTV's DMAs they are set by the affiliates/NAB and the FCC. DirecTV is required by LAW to give you channels based on your service zip. Complain to them.

Actually I did complain to them for another person who lives near me. That's how I found out that THEY have us in the terre haute dma, which will never get locals cause there's only 2 stations, the rest come from indianapolis. is there a way to get them (d*) to change this mistake in their systems!!!

The Nielsen definitions are what everybody uses. The OP isn't blaming D* for the way the map is drawn, he's complaining about D* not having up-to-date DMA mapping.

CPanther95 said:
The Nielsen definitions are what everybody uses. The OP isn't blaming D* for the way the map is drawn, he's complaining about D* not having up-to-date DMA mapping.

Excatly. Because when the original Satellite lines were drawn we were in the terre haute dma, but back in 2003 i believe we were moved to the st. louis dma.

Ah, if that's the case, then this makes sense.

**Hopefully** this should be resolved fairly soon. See the thread on SV.

hancox said:
Ah, if that's the case, then this makes sense.

**Hopefully** this should be resolved fairly soon. See the thread on SV.

yeah any word on when it could be resolved? any inside info on this?

I only wish. I'm waiting on the SV changes just as much (I'm a UConn grad who can't watch UConn games while living in CT)

jhamps, I can only go by what I have seen.

However, using this map, Clay County, Illinois, is in fact in the St. Louis DMA as of last year. However, I suspect that when DirecTV started offering St. Louis in the 1999/2000 season, Clay County was in the Terre Haute DMA. It must have changed over the years.

My big concern is that for the 2005/6 season, I am wondering if Clay County hasn't changed back to Terre Haute. There is no real way to tell. DirecTV was supposed to be updating their maps to the most recent season. We cannot tell.

Greg Bimson said:
jhamps, I can only go by what I have seen.

However, using this map, Clay County, Illinois, is in fact in the St. Louis DMA as of last year. However, I suspect that when DirecTV started offering St. Louis in the 1999/2000 season, Clay County was in the Terre Haute DMA. It must have changed over the years.

My big concern is that for the 2005/6 season, I am wondering if Clay County hasn't changed back to Terre Haute. There is no real way to tell. DirecTV was supposed to be updating their maps to the most recent season. We cannot tell.

is there a way to check to see if clay county somehow got moved out of the stupidness of nielsen, cause terre haute tv stations don't give worth crap about clay county, and st. louis actually does.

Not that anything every makes perfect sense regarding DMAs, and I know STL is much larger, Terre Haute is 30 miles closer, so it would make sense that it would claim you. BUT how come when I type in your zipcode it says no service of locals?

charper1 said:
Not that anything every makes perfect sense regarding DMAs, and I know STL is much larger, Terre Haute is 30 miles closer, so it would make sense that it would claim you. BUT how come when I type in your zipcode it says no service of locals?

yeah thatwould make sense, but when E* has you in the st. louis DMA and directv has us in the terre haute DMA. That doesn't make sense. Of course each company has it's own discretion, E* just uses updated dma maps and D* uses ones from the stone age.

to the end of the post:Because D* has NO locals in the terre haute DMA, use 47808 for an example(a terre haute,in zip code).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts