D* installer part 2 Grrrr!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
You guys want better pay and respect and I agree with you. However the current setup only breeds anger for customers. I've been trying to have a HD setup now for a month. The first two installers looked and cruised. A expert tech came out said it was doable and he would have to plant a pole away from my house. He told me that they would bury the cables running to the house and have me all setup. That was two weeks ago. He also promised he would be on the job with the tech. He expressed concern about a tree where the pole will be mounted. I've spent the last two weeks trimming it as much as my ladder. God and a tool will allow. I recieved a call from a tech this morning and he knew nothing about it. They work for Bruister and associates which I have gathered from here are part of DirecTV. Why didn't the tech two weeks ago explain the setup to guy coming out? If he comes out and cruises I'm going to cable. I have a multi-sat dish mounted on a pole about five feet from where my roof starts. It has worked perfectly and even survived Katrina. :devil:

:eek:
igator99 said:
You guys want better pay and respect and I agree with you. However the current setup only breeds anger for customers. I've been trying to have a HD setup now for a month. The first two installers looked and cruised. A expert tech came out said it was doable and he would have to plant a pole away from my house. He told me that they would bury the cables running to the house and have me all setup. That was two weeks ago. He also promised he would be on the job with the tech. He expressed concern about a tree where the pole will be mounted. I've spent the last two weeks trimming it as much as my ladder. God and a tool will allow. I recieved a call from a tech this morning and he knew nothing about it. They work for Bruister and associates which I have gathered from here are part of DirecTV. Why didn't the tech two weeks ago explain the setup to guy coming out? If he comes out and cruises I'm going to cable. I have a multi-sat dish mounted on a pole about five feet from where my roof starts. It has worked perfectly and even survived Katrina. :devil:

D* will offer you these great services at no extra cost to you as long as you sign for
1 or 2 years and is a standard upgrade.......but you would need to get this done thru an HSP contractor like
Bruister and associates who do not respect the techs or customer.:devil:
Good Luck Buddy..:eek: :eek:

Who loves you Baby..........Directv

I have another suggestion...call D* and complain to somebody important..
...also tell them about this site and to really start reading about what is going
with customers and customer service when it comes to HSP/MSP involvement...
:eek: :eek: :D :D :devil: :devil:

Last edited:
stevo/65 said:
:eek:

D* will offer you these great services at no extra cost to you as long as you sign for
1 or 2 years and is a standard upgrade.......but you would need to get this done thru an HSP contractor like
Bruister and associates who do not respect the techs or customer.:devil:
Good Luck Buddy..:eek: :eek:

Who loves you Baby..........Directv

I have another suggestion...call D* and complain to somebody important..
...also tell them about this site and to really start reading about what is going
with customers and customer service when it comes to HSP/MSP involvement...
:eek: :eek: :D :D :devil: :devil:

Guess what! The young tech came out and said he couldn't do it and took off! I'm so shocked. The older tech that said it was doable and had told me he would be here for the install was no wheres to be found. I've spent two weeks trimming a tree he said might be a problem. Cable anyone? BTW what is a HSP and MSP?:devil:

HSP and MSP...they are both service providers for D*
Your local dealer is a retailer who does thier own installs.
Best Buy,Circuit city,1-800#....ect are also retailers ...but use the service provders for the install of D*
DNS is the service provider of Dishnetwork.
Both providers will get techs to try and work for minimum or slave wages
or free if they can get away with it."and they Have"
That is why the local dealer... is where the good techs are at now
it may cost the customer a little more ....but you get the job done right the first
time and no excuses.......That old sayin You get what you pay for... is true
Both providers want quality ...but do not want to pay for it.
Like Doc Bob said ...They want control,control,control,and none of the liabilities..:eek:

Last edited:
stevo/65 said:
Best Buy,Circuit city,1-800#....ect are also retailers ...but use the service provders for the install of D*
it may cost the customer a little more ....but you get the job done right the first
Like Doc Bob said ...They want control,control,control,and none of the liabilities..:eek:

Hey Stevo you sound like a man that knows what he is doing. I see you are in Texas. Do you know of any people in the New Orleans area I might call? I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of doing it myself. That is what I had to do when I upgraded to the multidish.

If I decide to do it myself I need the help of this board. BTW I want to thank the good folks that put this board on. Right now I have it on a long pole attached to my house. It is a good five to six feet above where my roof starts. I believe from what the various tech have told me I have a tree in the way of the HD sat. All of them have refused to use my current setup. I know it is impossible to give yes or no answer not being here but if I move the pole setup about seven yards back I should be able to clear the tree blocking the HD sat? It is a few feet high than the trees I'm currently clearing with the pole. I have a compass the directv and dish hd sat is located where?

The older DirecTV tech that screwed me by not showing up today and having the younger tech do his dirty work by telling me no said that I could hit at the location I've been clearing branches. Stevo you seem to know this business well why would the guy do this? He came out and surveyed the site and said it was doable and they would be here when the tech came out. The young kid didn't even attempt to get a signal. It seemed he knocked on my door just to tell me no.

stevo/65 said:
The HSP is as close to a DTV company installer as you can get. They are the first line install company. The MSP is the local retailer. Problem with Igator's install is that the HSP will do the pole mount and trenching for free if they ever get off their butts and do the job they said they would. I'm trying to get him some help via a couple of guys in Bruister's home office.

Doc Bob is right. Seems kind of counter productive to hire someone and pay him so little that he has no desire to actually do any work. Better to pay a decent wage and get someone who is willing to produce. Things at Bruister started going downhill really fast when they brought in the company owned vehicles (COV's) last year and started paying those guys some pretty low hourly rates. The company has since raised the hourly rate, but not by much and they only did so because they plan to change the pay rate for the guys still using their own trucks (POV's) from piece rates (pay by the job) to hourly as well and they figured the change would go over easier if the hourly rates were a little higher. From what I understand the proposal is not being well recieved by the employees. Also in the past year the scope of work has increased as the pay levels steadily decreased. A tech like myself who made nearly $60k in 2004 today is barely making $40k. And by next year he'll be lucky to pull out $25-30k. To top it off companies like Bruister are spending a great deal of money to law firms to try and bust up and fend off unionizing efforts and using this as an excuse that they cannot afford to pay higher rates. When in fact if they had not cut pay rates while increasing the scope of work in the first place the employees would have never thought of unionizing. So, in effect the companies themselves have created their own whoa's. But getting them to realize this is nearly impossible.

Hope things work out Igator and that the info I passed on and contact I gave you helps out.

Last edited:
uboatcmdr said:
The HSP is as close to a DTV company installer as you can get. They are the first line install company. The MSP is the local retailer. Problem with Igator's install is that the HSP will do the pole mount and trenching for free if they ever get off their butts and do the job they said they would. I'm trying to get him some help via a couple of guys in Bruister's home office.

That would be good.
Also you are right about HSP being as close to D* reps as possible
but MSP is Perfect 10/Dsi satellie distributers who
give out the work to 1 big local retailer in each state....then that big retailer subs out to the smaller local retailers for the same price or lower then that of a HSP main contractor would pay to their subs.
and they use the same tactics as Hsp...but depending on the #1 retailer in the state to pay you is another topic. :eek:
To make it short......the tec who gets the work order from a Msp get paid as low
as a HSP tec... also that is why HSP still get most of the work
retailers will use MSP to stay busy during slow times of the season
and use that work to train rookies who will work for 45-50$
before they would get the good paying jobs that the local dealer
provides from sales and advertising. :up
Now if you can cut out the middle man and give the contract back to the individual
tec ...then he would make 70$ for 1 reciever and not 45-50$
70$ is taking it to the limit...after you add up the cost of fuel,materials and ect.
and if they expect free custom work on top of that "good luck buddy"
If you have a family...think about the cost of time away from working sun up till sun down in summer time to barely make it financialy. also you would not be able to provide a decent health care for your family.:hungry:
Cable compaies take much better care of their own....then sat companies
trust me.....i have been on both sides of the fence.;)

Last edited:
uboatcmdr said:

Doc Bob is right. Seems kind of counter productive to hire someone and pay him so little that he has no desire to actually do any work. Better to pay a decent wage and get someone who is willing to produce. Things at Bruister started going downhill really fast when they brought in the company owned vehicles (COV's) last year and started paying those guys some pretty low hourly rates. The company has since raised the hourly rate, but not by much and they only did so because they plan to change the pay rate for the guys still using their own trucks (POV's) from piece rates (pay by the job) to hourly as well and they figured the change would go over easier if the hourly rates were a little higher. From what I understand the proposal is not being well recieved by the employees. Also in the past year the scope of work has increased as the pay levels steadily decreased. A tech like myself who made nearly $60k in 2004 today is barely making $40k. And by next year he'll be lucky to pull out $25-30k. To top it off companies like Bruister are spending a great deal of money to law firms to try and bust up and fend off unionizing efforts and using this as an excuse that they cannot afford to pay higher rates. When in fact if they had not cut pay rates while increasing the scope of work in the first place the employees would have never thought of unionizing. So, in effect the companies themselves have created their own whoa's. But getting them to realize this is nearly impossible.

Hope things work out Igator and that the info I passed on and contact I gave you helps out.

I want to thank you for trying to help me get the upgrade. I've attached a couple of pictures to what I'm up against. Believe it or not that setup is getting 95+ signal on three DirecTV satellites. The Bruister installer proposed moving the dish to the front yard pass the drive way about eight yards. I can't know if it would have worked because they never tried.

Attachments

• DirecTV dish Mandaville, LA.JPG
    DirecTV dish Mandaville, LA.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 303
  • DirecTV dish Mandaville, LA (1).JPG
    DirecTV dish Mandaville, LA (1).JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 270
grydlok said:
I see why the 1st guy didn't do it.

Yes although I prepared him for what he was going to deal with. He had six other jobs on his schedule so he booked it. Moving that dish ten yards back should give them a decent shot at all the sats shouldn't it? It currently gets all the directv sats with 95+ signal strength.

igator.... look in the phone book.. there has to be a local company that can help you out. If need be.... cancel your account and start a new one under the wifes name and cell phone number.

wobbie said:
igator.... look in the phone book.. there has to be a local company that can help you out. If need be.... cancel your account and start a new one under the wifes name and cell phone number.

What good would that do?

igator99 said:
What good would that do?
It would qualify you as a new customer and might get you a special deal, but when the installer shows up you'll run into the same problems, one look and they will go, "hmm, no line of sight here" then split for their next job.
Wow that looks like a hair pickle of a job with all those trees. The farther away from then the more chance you have a getting a good signal from the new dish (it needs a much wider spread then the Phase III). Also overhang can be an issue (eventhoug a tree may be behind the dish if it is tall and over hangs any it too can block signal). Another thing, the pole diameter is different for the AT9 dish (slightly larger than the poles required for the Basic or Phase III). Regarding the pole, how on earth do you get up there to adjust the dish?...with a bucket truck? If you lean a ladder against it it would cause the pole to bow and would not be in line once the ladder was pulled away. Are all those trees on your land or are they your neighbors? If they are your's I'd do some topping. With the number of homes damaged in your area during Katrina by not the hurricane or flooding but by fallen trees and limbs, I'd want any tall trees around my house topped out. I know how you feel, I've got enough trees around my house that my dish is on a pole over 100 feet from the house (and it really needs to be about 10-15 feet farther out because of some pecan trees which have bushed out over the years).
I hope those guys are able to get your upgrade done and get you a decent signal.

uboatcmdr said:
It would qualify you as a new customer and might get you a special deal, but when the installer shows up you'll run into the same problems, one look and they will go, "hmm, no line of sight here" then split for their next job.
Wow that looks like a hair pickle of a job with all those trees. The farther away from then the more chance you have a getting a good signal from the new dish (it needs a much wider spread then the Phase III). Also overhang can be an issue (eventhoug a tree may be behind the dish if it is tall and over hangs any it too can block signal). Another thing, the pole diameter is different for the AT9 dish (slightly larger than the poles required for the Basic or Phase III). Regarding the pole, how on earth do you get up there to adjust the dish?...with a bucket truck? If you lean a ladder against it it would cause the pole to bow and would not be in line once the ladder was pulled away. Are all those trees on your land or are they your neighbors? If they are your's I'd do some topping. With the number of homes damaged in your area during Katrina by not the hurricane or flooding but by fallen trees and limbs, I'd want any tall trees around my house topped out. I know how you feel, I've got enough trees around my house that my dish is on a pole over 100 feet from the house (and it really needs to be about 10-15 feet farther out because of some pecan trees which have bushed out over the years).
I hope those guys are able to get your upgrade done and get you a decent signal.

Again thank you. I know it isn't the best situation. A pole that high with the AT9 from what I've gathered will not work. I was hoping and I think what the older tech was thinking that ten yards back and I could have a shorter pole that might work. I've cleared as much as I could with an 8 foot ladder and a trimming tool.

All those trees are on my land but because of my HOA I can't touch them. First you must get a tree surgeon out and say the tree is dying. Then you need a $500 permit from the HOA and as far as getting it cut down people paid thousands for that after Katrina. I can't afford it. All the Katrina damage in my area was trees hitting homes. You would think the HOA would come to their sense. I know a guy up the road that had two trees hit his home. He cut down trees that he felt were a threat without the HOA permission and he was fined 1500. Oh well this hurricane season is suppose to be worse than the last year. :eek:

What about this spot?

Inbetween those two trees on the other side of the driveway is where the older tech thought he could hit it. It is about 8 yards from where the pole is loacted. Would that greatly reduce the length of pole needed or not really?

Attachments

• DirecTV dish.JPG
    DirecTV dish.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 233
Correct...
You can also bore underneath the driveway to run cable
or you can trench along side of your driveway to run cable.
Also your current set up.... the pole does not need to be as high

Last edited:
stevo/65 said:
Correct...
You can also bore underneath the driveway to run cable
or you can trench along side of your driveway to run cable.
Also your current set up.... the pole does not need to be as high

Thank you Stevo for your input. Me and you got off on the wrong foot apologize for that. I didn't understand that DirecTV and Dish pay these guys next to nothing for doing this work so if it is going to be a hard job they simply head to the next one.

What would be a reasonable amount to offer the tech for the job?

Hey no prob.....
150 Minimum...and that is with all new lines trenched along driveway.
If you want a bore underneath driveway.100 extra min. on top of 150..that includes conduit.
I can do that kind of install...but i am in west Texas...
If you can find a guy who knows how to bore..then even better for you.
if not... then trench along side of driveway.

Whatever you do....Do not let this guy do it :eek:

Last edited:
stevo/65 said:
Hey no prob.....
150 Minimum...and that is with all new lines trenched along driveway.
If you want a bore underneath driveway.100 extra min. on top of 150..that includes conduit.
I can do that kind of install...but i am in west Texas...
If you can find a guy who knows how to bore..then even better for you.
if not... then trench along side of driveway.

Whatever you do....Do not let this guy do it :eek:

One million dollars! LOL! Well the fourth Bruister tech came out today. He said he could hit the HD sat but I would lose my locals (That was different). I asked him about a two dish solution and he said he didn't know what I was talking about. Asked him to do a pole mount but he didn't have a pole or a shovel although that is what he was suppose to do today. According to Bruister and DirecTV my order was for a front yard pole mount with a trench being dug to the house along the driveway. He didn't have the equipment so offering him money wasn't an issue I don't think he would have done it anyways. There is so much demand in this area
It is just easier and better to move on. I don't even know why they sent the man out? Dish is coming out Thursday perhaps if I dig the ditch and offer him money he migh do it?:D

igator99 said:
One million dollars! LOL! Well the fourth Bruister tech came out today. He said he could hit the HD sat but I would lose my locals (That was different). I asked him about a two dish solution and he said he didn't know what I was talking about. Asked him to do a pole mount but he didn't have a pole or a shovel although that is what he was suppose to do today. According to Bruister and DirecTV my order was for a front yard pole mount with a trench being dug to the house along the driveway. He didn't have the equipment so offering him money wasn't an issue I don't think he would have done it anyways. There is so much demand in this area
It is just easier and better to move on. I don't even know why they sent the man out? Dish is coming out Thursday perhaps if I dig the ditch and offer him money he migh do it?:D

You get a better deal with Dish and HD
"just my opinion"..:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts