D* Installing Today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I usually 85 and up to be what I look for.
You may have a few 100's but don't expect it on all, it won't happen.
You may also see a few zero's on transponders that are not for your area as well.

I usually 85 and up to be what I look for.
You may have a few 100's but don't expect it on all, it won't happen.
You may also see a few zero's on transponders that are not for your area as well.
It is possible to get all 95-100 at least it was for me. My problem was always the severe rain fade in my area which never made sense to me. Those readings would drop FAST with a storm. Maybe it depends on your area of the country.

It is possible to get all 95-100 at least it was for me. My problem was always the severe rain fade in my area which never made sense to me. Those readings would drop FAST with a storm. Maybe it depends on your area of the country.

Vurbano,

I note that you are in Newport News, VA. That is why you suddenly loose signal. Ocean storms can jump the Delmarva Peninsula suddenly! I have been sailing in the southern Chesapeake and conditions can change from clear and cloudless calm to heavy wind with dense rain storms within minutes.

Watch your local weather for conditions in your SW (check your set up menu for the exact azimuth where the dish is pointed to the satellite).

No amount of tuning will fix this...the storms move through pretty fast.

Joe

Make them get 100 readings on all transponders.

in your dreams maybe.. but not in reality!

im lucky to have some as 2 transponders hit 100%. Transponder in my area, 4th column is all 0%s.

most i can hit out of my Signal on the reciever is 98%.. i never seen 99% and rarely do i get a 100 on possible 2 transponders.

most average number i get is 95-98%

Im curious.. where you from? how are you getting 100% across the board?

i think youre making crap up.

in your dreams maybe.. but not in reality!

im lucky to have some as 2 transponders hit 100%. Transponder in my area, 4th column is all 0%s.

most i can hit out of my Signal on the reciever is 98%.. i never seen 99% and rarely do i get a 100 on possible 2 transponders.

most average number i get is 95-98%

Im curious.. where you from? how are you getting 100% across the board?

i think youre making crap up.

no I don't think you can get ALL 100's. But any tech worth a darn should be able to get 95-99 on most transponders. And of course if you are not in a certain spot beam its going to be 0%. People were getting 95-99% that back in 07 when the new sat fired up for the first time and a lot of techs hadnt even been trained on how to align a 5lnb dish. AVS Forum - View Single Post - DirecTV 2007 New HD Channels - First Wave anticipation thread.

FYI, poster location is in the upper right of each post.

Vurbano,

I note that you are in Newport News, VA. That is why you suddenly loose signal. Ocean storms can jump the Delmarva Peninsula suddenly! I have been sailing in the southern Chesapeake and conditions can change from clear and cloudless calm to heavy wind with dense rain storms within minutes.

Watch your local weather for conditions in your SW (check your set up menu for the exact azimuth where the dish is pointed to the satellite).

No amount of tuning will fix this...the storms move through pretty fast.

Joe
Oh I never lose signal anymore. I canned D* recently after about 7 years with a short Voom interval. You don't know how irritating it is to hear how I am "always lying about rainfade" yada yada yada and how "my signal never goes out". And to hear D*'s reliability numbers on TV?? LOL. No one had their dish peaked more than I when I got the 5LNB. I was just warning the newbie that he shouldnt accept readings in the 80's, 90'-100 is possible if the tech knows what he is doing. Normally the higher it is the harder it will have to rain before you lose signal.

Last edited:
Hello all!

This is my first post, as I will have D* (see, I've read enough to know to use that) installed tomorrow. I will probably stay awake all night dreaming of the morning where I will have no use for TWC.

Just wondering if there's anything I need to know about installation or anything that I can help them with (at install time of before) to make things easier.

Thanks, and I look forward to sharing my joy with you tomorrow afternoon!
post some pics of your dish install and etc.:D

Oh I never lose signal anymore. I canned D* recently after about 7 years with a short Voom interval. You don't know how irritating it is to hear how I am "always lying about rainfade" yada yada yada and how "my signal never goes out". And to hear D*'s reliability numbers on TV?? LOL. No one had their dish peaked more than I when I got the 5LNB. I was just warning the newbie that he shouldnt accept readings in the 80's, 90'-100 is possible if the tech knows what he is doing. Normally the higher it is the harder it will have to rain before you lose signal.

I loose signal for about a total of maybe an hour a year, wet snow ......

I'd say thats pretty much a 99 % of the time I have signal ....
I'd say thats VERY good. :up

I loose signal for about a total of maybe an hour a year, wet snow ......

I'd say thats pretty much a 99 % of the time I have signal ....
I'd say thats VERY good. :up

99%*365/days= 361.35 days

So, your service can be out for 3.65 days or 87.6 hours a year and it would still be 99% up-time.

99%*365/days= 361.35 days

So, your service can be out for 3.65 days or 87.6 hours a year and it would still be 99% up-time.

Thanks for doing the math !

87 hours a year, that's over two weeks, THAT would be a problem.

edit:, Sorry, I was thinking on a WORK week schedule. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)