D* launches HD locals in four cities

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newshawk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
OK
D* has lit up HD locals in Grand Rapids, MI (ABC/CBS); Green Bay, WI (ABC/CBS/NBC); Greensboro, NC (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) and Providence, RI (ABC/NBC). They went live on Tuesday, 11/21.

Thanks
PQ looks excellent on ABC will let you know other channels when content arrives
Rob in Greensboro NC:hatsoff:

Wow this didn't make the front page, but had dish network lite up one station you would have known.

Wow this didn't make the front page, but had dish network lite up one station you would have known.

D* lighting up their 46th, 47th, 48th and 49th HD LiL isn't really news now, but E* lighting up their 26th HD LiL (and the first since July) definitely would be news. :rolleyes:

Well, I went and got the new set up for HD Locals, although I said I would wait. I figured, I can still use my off air antenna to receive Wood (NBC), FOX, and WGVU (PBS), until D* gets them online in HD.

The installer installed his first Slimline dish for me! It is not near as heavy as I have read on the forums. The installer said that Directv claims that it is only 5lb. lighter than the AT9, but in actuality he said it is half the weight. I picked it up and it only felt like 10-15 lb. to me!

Also got the H20 receiver. I love it! I will wait until next year to get the HR20.

I also noticed that as of now, I do not have 96 or 97 on my guide. I sure hope I can watch the Pistons games in HD on FSNHD.

I am also going to email FOX and WOOD to let them know that I want them to strike a deal with D* to get their HD feed on ASAP.

Well, I went and got the new set up for HD Locals, although I said I would wait. I figured, I can still use my off air antenna to receive Wood (NBC), FOX, and WGVU (PBS), until D* gets them online in HD.

The installer installed his first Slimline dish for me! It is not near as heavy as I have read on the forums. The installer said that Directv claims that it is only 5lb. lighter than the AT9, but in actuality he said it is half the weight. I picked it up and it only felt like 10-15 lb. to me!

Also got the H20 receiver. I love it! I will wait until next year to get the HR20.

I also noticed that as of now, I do not have 96 or 97 on my guide. I sure hope I can watch the Pistons games in HD on FSNHD.

I am also going to email FOX and WOOD to let them know that I want them to strike a deal with D* to get their HD feed on ASAP.
Glad to see dtv leading in hd lil
id like my at9 swapped for the slimline, whats the easiest way to find out if slimline is available in your area?

They look a tad bit soft here in Grand Rapids versus OTA but very nice indeed!

I watched Shrek2 on ABC tonight, and as I flipped between the two channels, I noticed no difference. WZZM's feed seemd to pixelate once in a while like it had interference or something.

whats the easiest way to find out if slimline is available in your area?

If I am not mistaken, D* is installing the AT9's until they run out. So if the company that is installing your Dish has AT9's left you will get that over the slimline. I asked the installer who did mine today how many he has installed in the Grand Rapids area, and he said mine was the first he did, and that the house before me got an AT9.

I don't think 96 and 97 are in the guide all of the time, only when there is an event scheduled.

I know that a lot of people complain about the lack of HD content on D* as compared to E*. And lighting up HD locals for markets across the country is not popular. However, the locals are what I want most before, another HD movie channel, or Food Network HD!

Most Americans tune in to watch prime time network programming on ABC, NBC, Fox, or CBS. And the primetime shows are filmed in true HD, so it makes sense to get the best, most watched programming up for customers as compared to a bunch of "niche" channels like E* has, with a buch of "up converted" material that was not filmed in HD.

This is just my opinion.

11/27/2006
DIRECTV Activates HD Local Channels in Green Bay, Wisc., Greensboro, N.C., Grand Rapids, Mich., and Providence, R.I.
Local HD Channels from DIRECTV Have More Vivid Colors, Wider Images and Clearer, Crisper High-resolution Digital-quality Pictures
WHAT: DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is now offering local HD programming to customers in the Green Bay, Wisc., Greensboro, N.C., Grand Rapids, Mich. and Providence, R.I. DMAs. With the addition of these four markets, DIRECTV now offers local HD broadcast channels in 49 cities, representing more than 65 percent of U.S. TV households. DIRECTV plans to launch an additional eight HD local markets throughout the remainder of the year.

DIRECTV's roll out of local HD channels is part of a nationwide expansion of HD programming that will culminate in 2007, when DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels, establishing DIRECTV as a leading provider of HD programming.
WHEN: Beginning Tuesday, Nov. 21, 2006HOW: Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels receive both the standard-definition and HD signals at no extra monthly charge. Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing an H20 HD receiver or the new HR20 DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR and satellite dish. Existing HD customers can upgrade their HD receiver and dish for $99 per receiver. New customers can take advantage of a $100 mail-in rebate on all DIRECTV HD and HDDVR receivers.
Eligibility for local channels is based on service address within certain designated market areas as defined by Nielsen Media Research, Inc. Visit DIRECTV.com for more information.

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

I know that a lot of people complain about the lack of HD content on D* as compared to E*. And lighting up HD locals for markets across the country is not popular. However, the locals are what I want most before, another HD movie channel, or Food Network HD!

Most Americans tune in to watch prime time network programming on ABC, NBC, Fox, or CBS. And the primetime shows are filmed in true HD, so it makes sense to get the best, most watched programming up for customers as compared to a bunch of "niche" channels like E* has, with a buch of "up converted" material that was not filmed in HD.

This is just my opinion.

You are dead on correct Joe; its only the naysayers that say providing HD LIL is unpopular, in fact it was the most requested service among current and likely new subs, so they did the right thing.

Like those naysayers, I too get my OTA just fine, but understand the need for them to provide HD LIL.

Kinda quiet on Albuquerque also, but with LIN owning 2 stations out of the 4 now Alb. may be on the backburner as LIN is greedy... (found that out with my E*HD locals, they hold CBS Ransom and now with D*HD will hold CBS and FOX Ransom)

Kinda quiet on Albuquerque also, but with LIN owning 2 stations out of the 4 now Alb. may be on the backburner as LIN is greedy... (found that out with my E*HD locals, they hold CBS Ransom and now with D*HD will hold CBS and FOX Ransom)

Here in CT the only place LIN hd channels appear is on Comcast, or ota.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts